Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 04-04-2014, 04:12 AM
Senior Chief

Default '67 Lemans Wilwood disk conversion...

I'm in the process of putting the last piece of the puzzle on my Leman rebuild, in the form of new Wilwood rear disks. I'm pretty sure that I have the stock rear 8.2 rear end in my Lemans. Apparently, these axles are weird. When trying to source a rear disk conversion kit from the Wilwood website (to match my Challenger series front brakes), I couldn't help but notice that none of the axle flanges matched up to exactly what I needed for my old ass Pontiac. The flange pattern was on par with the 12 bolt axle with a 2.75" offset. After speaking to a reputable vendor (sorry PY), we decided that kit #140-7149DR would probably work for me. After receiving the kit in the mail, it's really close to working, but not quite. The hole in the brake backing plate, which needs to pass though the pressed on axle bearing, is about .01" too small. Unless I have the backing plate machined out a bit, this kit won't work. And, because the backing plate is constructed of 1/4" steel, instead of the 1/8" factory steel plate, I'm pretty sure that if I do mill out the new backing plate, I'll have an 1/8" of axle play after bolting everything together. So, question is, does anyone with more experience in these matters know what Wilwood rear end kit will work with this stupid axle? Yes, I contacted Wilwood and I'm still waiting for an answer. I have more confidence in you guys!

As a side note, my first attempt at an engine rebuild fired right up and sounds AWESOME! Can't wait for this thing to be road worthy again!

Thanks in advance,
Sammy

1967 Lemans: 455 swap in progress (stock crank, stock rods, TRW slugs, mildly ported 6x heads, Stump Puller hyd roller, 1.5 PRW aluminum rollers, Comp hyd roller lifters, Performer RPM, q-jet, RA exhaust manifolds, 2 1/2" exhaust, ebay HEI), 200 4R, and some suspension stuff
Old 04-04-2014, 11:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy B View Post
I'm pretty sure that I have the stock rear 8.2 rear end in my Lemans.
I'd do a search to be positive what your rear end is. If you have an 8.2, it'll be fairly obvious (the two half-circles on the sides of the cap.)

Old 04-04-2014, 03:03 PM
Senior Chief

Yup, two half circles. The flange matches up perfectly with that of a 12 bolt though. My flange looks nothing like the BOP flange that is depicted on the Wilwood site.

1967 Lemans: 455 swap in progress (stock crank, stock rods, TRW slugs, mildly ported 6x heads, Stump Puller hyd roller, 1.5 PRW aluminum rollers, Comp hyd roller lifters, Performer RPM, q-jet, RA exhaust manifolds, 2 1/2" exhaust, ebay HEI), 200 4R, and some suspension stuff
Old 04-06-2014, 01:42 AM
Senior Chief

Per Wilwood, they said that I would have to mill out the hole that the axle passes through. It was so close that I was able to use a cylinder hone get the job done. Apparently, us Lemans guys have an uncommon axle. Everything else seems to go together just fine, but I'll probably end up replacing my 7/16" studs with 1/2". Gotta match the fronts, ya know!