Ames Customer Satisfaction Forum Post a 'current' compliment, suggestion or issue with regard to an Ames service or product.

Old 03-23-2014, 04:38 PM
Senior Chief

Default Trunk mat

I know (from speaking with friends who purchased same) I'm not the only person to be dissatisfied with the repro trunk mats from REM. I'm on my third one in 5 years because the ink is so inferior. I complained to Mr. REM, but maybe PY can find a better product.

1965 Catalina 2+2 421 Tri-Power, 4-speed, all original except paint -
AACA Grand National Sr. / POCI Champion - 13.71@104mph 1/4-mile
1958 Bonneville convertible - AACA / POCI survivor awards
1963 Catalina 2-door hardtop - 10.91@124mph 1/4-mile
1933 Pontiac 2-door Sedan street rod project (in progress)
1962 Corvette 327/340hp, all stock
1963 Studebaker Avanti
http://www.1965Pontiac2Plus2.com
http://www.Pontiac2plus2Registry.com
Old 04-16-2014, 04:51 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The mat material is also thinner and curls up no matter what you do. I saw more than one car at the GTO nationals with the mats taped down trying to keep them from rolling back up.

Old 04-17-2014, 11:11 AM
Administrator

It's not that the ink is inferior. It's the entire process that dictates the quality. These mats are made on a giant printing press with limitations on the inks that can be used. The rubber material that is available is limited. There are EPA restrictions that prevent certain types of inks and paints from being used anymore.

Sorry guys, several other reputable companies have dabbled in trunk mats and have either not been successful in improving the quality or have been outrageously expensive. We haven't had the correct 69 GTO trunk mat in years. And that is an incredibly popular mat. So imagine how difficult it would be to motivate these mfg's to make an improved Catalina mat. :(

That doesn't mean REM is not trying. They are aware of their product short comings and are always looking to improve. Sometimes, there just isn't a viable option.

Old 04-17-2014, 11:20 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

As much as I despise foreign reproduction parts, maybe this product would be one that could be produced “correctly” from the correct material and paint from an off shore manufacturer. It seems that almost everything else is made off shore why not this? Also, thanks for listening.

Old 04-17-2014, 05:55 PM
Administrator

This is possible but would have to be initiated by someone who knows that business and has the distribution channels in place to research and then market the new mats. Someone like REM.

Not to jack this thread, but some of these older Pontiac are just about reaching their maturity on the sales curve. Introducing new products that are unavailable 'may' still be viable but introducing new products in a competitive environment is a very risky move at this stage.