THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 05-16-2014, 05:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Lost 2 of my 3 favorite cats yesterday. Long story.

Cats and dogs are always there for you without question no matter what your mood.

1st was our 16 yr old on heart meds for 3 yrs.
He quit eating 2-3 weeks ago, and then couldn't keep meds or water down past few days.
Was hoping make it till Saturday(only day off past 3 weeks) to take him in cause have to many call offs for personal health and emergency home repairs.
It was hard cause he went into distress after vet was closed, and took all night to next morning an hour before vet opened.

Then our 2 yr old garage cat(a rescue ferel, and gon'a be next house cat) been gone for 2-3 days showed up barely walking and rear half soaked in urine. I mean bad.
Turnd out to be a broken hip(upper to lower), swollen abdomen with possible internal bleeding(was anemic, but vet wasn't sure if related).
Then she noticed a heart murmur, also not sure if related.
After x ray said he was pretty messed up, and the most gentle cat she's seen in years.
Surgery for fracture was an option, but not sure of rest of internals till opening up.
Plus the fact he may never gain control of bowels and/or urinary track.

After thinking of last 3 years of heart meds twice a day, plus loosing another great cat years ago to a hip fracture(lasted 2 weeks), asked the vet in her professional opinion what's the best route if money was no object.
She said its a 50/50 deal at best. Plus the bowels and urinary "may not" work again. Then there's the heart murmur...
So I went with her rec.

Now all I think about is all he ever wanted to be was lap cat(an instant purr ball), and never got the chance.
And "what if" I had brought him home till Saturday just to see how he does.

At least still have Dude, my 3 yr old garage/house cat. Wants to be with me almost all the time. Even rides in the truck on short trips.
Thanks in advance.
Be back Monday.
Mike.

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...hop/?start=100
Old 05-16-2014, 06:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hang in there, Mike. You did the best you could, while you could. That's all any of us can do. Been a cat guy all my life, and currently have 2 brothers that just turned ten that were born feral on the roof of my workplace. Best cats ever. 3 other strays have adopted my ladyfriend, and she graciously let them into her home. One is 15 now, one 13, and the other just a kitten. Abandoned and homeless, now wonderful and loving pets. They are only here for a short time compared to most of us, so we have to enjoy them and appreciate the time we did have with them. Take care.

Old 05-16-2014, 08:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sorry for your loss. We had to have 2 of our 3 cats put down about 1 year ago within one month of each other; it tore me up big time. We get so attached to these little critters and they become part of the family. Hope your last one lives a long life!

69 Bird w/1970 400 block(409 cubes), #64 heads, hyd. roller, Q-jet by Jeff E., original interior, ps, pdb, th350, and 3.73 gears. Pump gas, street driven muscle. 3800 lbs. race weight. Best, 11.39 @118, my son's car.

79 T/A w/463, Scat crank, Eagle rods, Icon pistons, Lunati solid roller, 262/270, KRE 325 heads, Northwind intake, QF950 carb, full interior, ps, pdb, th350, and 3.73 gears. Pump gas, 3650 lbs. race weight. 10.68 @ 126 so far... no tuning yet.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:17 PM
Senior Chief

Location: Gilroy, California, USA-Garlic Capital of the world!
Thumbs up Look at it this way...

Out of the kindness of your heart, you cared for your pals, gave them a warm place to sleep, food, affection, and medical care. Many animals are not lucky enough to have such a home. Yours were.

And then when the time came, you sent them gently into the memory hole, another kindness. I always say, because it's true, the day you bring them home you know they're going to break your heart one day.

Congratulations on being the kind of person who diligently takes care of your animal charges. It shows strength of character and compassion.

And the best cure for a lost cat is another cat. A lucky one is waiting somewhere right now for you to pick it out.

Condolences.

Old 05-16-2014, 09:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sounds like he got hit bay a car. Sorry for your losses. Tough to lose a old friends. Wife and I have been through several cats in 20 years of marriage. Disease, run over, old age, gone missing, etc. One favorite cat would plan stealth ninja attacks on the dog in a playful way, and loved Mexican food. Don't worry you'll be adopted soon by another cat.

Old 05-16-2014, 09:23 PM

it's tough I've had to put three down over last 4 years.I really miss them.Clyde was always with me when I was in the house.Best cat I ever had,cant be replaced

69 gto ,all#match,467,th400,3:55 Easton posi,resto completed may 2016. 427 hp/530tq. Stump puller with stock#62 , stock intake and qjet
Th400 gone. Tkx close ratio with .64 of
66 Pontiac Beaumont sport deluxe,BB 5sp tko 3:08 auburn 450hp 550 torque wife sold it
Old 05-16-2014, 10:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sorry to hear this Mike, you did your best.

TOM
Old 05-16-2014, 11:04 PM

Send a message via AIM to David Holmberg

Sorry for your loss Mike. The Rainbow bridge is a wonderful place, they are there playing like kittens.

Old 05-16-2014, 11:59 PM
Suspended

Pets don't belong outside at large. They suffer painful and traumatic deaths.

Old 05-17-2014, 03:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Sorry for your losses.

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 05-17-2014, 06:13 AM

Mike,
I am sorry for your loss. We have 3 cats, all indoor. With all the hazards outdoors that are out of your control, the best life for a cat is to keep it indoors. Ours wouldn't have lasted a year with the coyotes and traffic around here.

Old 05-17-2014, 10:31 AM

I trained my cat from when she was a kitten that she can only go out side if she has her leash on and hooked to the clothes line that runs about 70 feet from the house to the garage, she won't go out if I don't hook her up or carry her out side.

Old 05-17-2014, 10:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You did well with them cats, I can tell you are an AAA+++ pet person and when you love animals like that they know it. like someone else said, you gave them a happy life and in the end that is it, really. My suggestion is focus on your one cat and make him your buddy and maybe somewhere down the road will be this kitten or stray that is just so cool......

and man I am jealous.... my dream is get my Jack (ten year old, 16 pound juvenile delinquent mutt cat) to learn to cruise in the bird with me. I think he has the personality to maybe pull it off.

Old 05-17-2014, 07:59 PM
Suspended

I would think twice about tethering a cat so that it can't get up a tree. The sad part is that you can't control other people's pets, and even if your animal never goes off your property they can still suffer violent attacks and/or death, because people hate cats for the same reason trolls hate the truth in the Clubhouse.

Our aging cat never left her property. She was allowed to go out to sit on the front porch or sidewalk when we got home, but she wouldn't leave the property. She got attacked by the neighbor's dog on our front porch as we were inside long enough to almost change clothes when the attack occurred. The cat was able to run to a tree in the front yard to keep from being killed but it punctured her diaphram, broke several ribs caused some internal injury and cost about $1000. It all happened on my girl's birthday and then the real estate agent/dog owner tried to stiff us for the vet bill.

Old 05-17-2014, 08:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

So Sorry Mike, Our pets become part us. After we had to put one of our dogs down my wife said "no more, I can't take the hurt of losing them anymore". A couple of months later I showed her a picture of a puppy that was 6 hours away. The next weekend we drove and got him.

Again, I am so sorry........

Old 05-19-2014, 08:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Sorry for your loss.

Car is a junk yard dog and maybe one day will be restored.
Old 05-19-2014, 03:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonchoV8 View Post
Pets don't belong outside at large. They suffer painful and traumatic deaths.

.....This is true, cars and Coyotes in this area.

Plus, if people don't take their "pet" cats to the vet for care like heart worm, rotten teeth and other virus"s....they die a lot sooner..... like half or greater of their "average" lifespan.

Old 05-19-2014, 04:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sorry for your loss. I learned a long time ago not to let my cats outside anymore.

Old 05-19-2014, 06:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've had cats for 54 yrs, so don't need a lecture.

The 16yr old along with his brother where indoor since birth. He died 2yrs ago from same heart condition.
Vet said usually have 6 months at most.

The outdoor along with his brother where completely feral.
Took 6-12 mo's just to gain his trust to remove burrs and ticks. Last 3-4 weeks he would purr himself to sleep on my lap.
His brother still wont let me near him.

Anyhow, was get'n him used to the indoor cat. Just didnt have the money to get neutered and shots yet.
Just wonder if he would of healed up enough to regain control of his bowels and urinary to live a decent life.
Had the most beautiful trusting eyes I can remember.

Thanks again.
Mike

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...hop/?start=100
Old 05-19-2014, 06:51 PM
Senior Chief

My condolences Mike..

I like dogs but when I put my dog down a few years back I said
I wouldn't get another dog until I'm retired. Had him 13 years and
could barely remember not having him around. But.. Having to run back home
to let him out was a PITA and it was unfair to leave him all day.

I have 3 cats now and enjoy them a lot. Each has their own personality and
they can do just well without me for a few days if need be. had 1 male cat
after I put my dog down and went to get another male kitten for him to pal with..
and while I was sitting on the floor looking at one of the male kittens the female
runt of the litter climbed on my lap and laid down.. I said I guess I'm taking
her too... she chose me the exact same way my dog did when he was a puppy.

There are tons of cats and dogs out there that can use a good home though..
wont take long to find a new friend (or two in my case )

good luck..

John

1964 Starchief 4 Dr Sedan - 389 4Bbl - Auto - Pinehurst Green/ Gold cloth

1964 Grand Prix - 389 4 BBl w SupHyd auto

1964 Catalina Safari - 63 389 200r4 auto.. 2.69 POSI rear

1964 Bonneville Vert - 389 4bbl - Auto - Ext Color - Saddle/Saddle int

1965 2+2 - WG 421 4Bbl - 4 spd - Bluemist Slate w White/black int

1966 Ventura 4 dr Sdn - 389 4Bbl - Auto -Orig Color - Barrier Blue