THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 08-05-2014, 10:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Moved my neighbors garage

Here's some pics of my work to get it in my backyard. It's a 14 x 22 building all tongue and groove walls and roof plus the plywood so it's an older building. I did all the bracing, jacking and pulling. Btw I just used a cum a long hooked to my truck and rolled it on 4" pipes. I didn't want to tear up my truck just pulling it, plus this way could watch what was going on and stop to make adjustments. I rolled the pipe on decking boards layed out like tracks. I couldn't get a car trailer, the neighbors fence was to close.

The last 20 ft I didn't have room for my truck so used one of my trees. I'm still in the process of turning it around straight.

Maybe some kinda world record for a cumalong LOL, my arms were wore out. Now I now how the ancient egyptians felt building the pyramids moving large objects with minimal tools.

6.27@107
9.97@131
Old 08-05-2014, 10:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

When I built my new garage, I had the old one hauled away. The company that took it lifted it up about the same way, except they just backed a flatbed into the garage, dropped the garage down on the bed, and drove it away. It was pretty interesting to watch.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img060.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	372475  

Old 08-05-2014, 10:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Bill, this kind of thing (and the type of person who would do this type of thing) belongs on garagejournal.com

Old 08-05-2014, 10:31 PM
Senior Chief

Default Moving building

Good job Bill. I am currently waiting to move a 16x24 garage for a fellow on a job we are doing installing a new tile bed. The owner wanted me to crush it with the excavator and bury it. I talked to his neighbour and he said it would be a shame to crush and he would love to have it. I struck up a deal with him and poured a cement pad then put joists throughout it just as you did. I then used a 20' 10 ton farm wagon to mount it on. I placed 2 (24') steel 6" channel on the bunks and lowered the building down onto the wagon and towed it with my 4x4 pickup into place. Jacked it clear of the wagon and set onto the pad. Bill I'm thinking you probably want a concrete floor in your new garage. I've done them where you put 2 beams down the center of the building and 3' out through your man door on one end and out through your overhead on the other. Jack them 3' off the ground and it lets you put a 2x8 frame on the ground and pour a concrete pad. Then you can run several courses of 6" block. Then set the building back down in place. FWIW Ed

Old 08-05-2014, 10:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Stuart I wish I could have just pulled in a car trailer, let the air out of the tires. Braced across than air the tires back up to lift it just didn't have room to do so. I guess I like doing things the hard way.

6.27@107
9.97@131
Old 08-05-2014, 11:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Eveland View Post
Stuart I wish I could have just pulled in a car trailer, let the air out of the tires. Braced across than air the tires back up to lift it just didn't have room to do so. I guess I like doing things the hard way.
The funny thing about my garage is they loaded up the truck, but then waited until about 1 o'clock in the morning to haul it away so they could avoid traffic. The next day, i was talking to a neighbor who had been out at the bars that night; he had just stumbled home and was sitting in his living room looking out the window when my garage drove by. He thought he maybe had had one too many.

Old 08-05-2014, 11:26 PM
Senior Chief

Btw I just used a cum a long hooked to my truck..... Ahhh did you mean come along?

Old 08-05-2014, 11:34 PM

Most people wouldn't even think of doing that. Good for you.

Old 08-05-2014, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yahooskidoo View Post
Btw I just used a cum a long hooked to my truck..... Ahhh did you mean come along?

He can make a mistake, he's fricken tired! LOL

Old 08-06-2014, 01:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

Looks great Bill a job well done.

Old 08-06-2014, 07:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Nice garage. Still looks solid.

Car is a junk yard dog and maybe one day will be restored.
Old 08-06-2014, 07:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Eveland View Post
Maybe some kinda world record for a cumalong LOL, my arms were wore out. Now I now how the ancient egyptians felt building the pyramids moving large objects with minimal tools.
LOL. Actually, the egyptians had the slaves do the hard parts....

Well done, Bill. Very clever.

K

PS: a shout out for CHEVY TRUCKS!! BUILT TO STAY TOUGH!! YEAH, BABY!!

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 08-06-2014, 08:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

On a related note (and not to detract from Bill's efforts) we pulled the kids out of school one day to watch a historic home get moved through our small town.

Link is pretty self explanatory:

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=649526

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 08-06-2014, 06:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Very cool Bill. I'll keep these skills of yours in mind for future reference lol.

63 Lemans Race Car- 8.81 @ 151, 5.60 @ 123(SOLD)

67 Bonneville ragtop

74 Firebird - 455, e heads, TK0600 in process