THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 10-07-2014, 06:28 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

TOYOTA Tundra's were built in Princeton Indiana until about 2008 or 09. Built in San Antonio Tx now.
We had a 2014 4x4, met a early demise in water (totaled). Seemed like it was CONSTANTLY shifting gears, drove me nuts. It also seemed huge, and I've owned trucks all my life. Thought fuel mileage sucked. Didn't have it long enough to actually check it.
My wife still has her 93 Toyota Truck 4x4. 225xxx miles on the clock. Shocks, batteries, exhaust this year, pressure plate & clutch. Only thing malfunctioning right now is the A/C. Most dependable little wood hauler in the world.
02 F 150 I bought new. Brake light over rear window leaks and causes almost all those 01, 02 models to rust in the rockers. 225xxx on it when it was totaled. Injectors about the only fix ups I had besides normal stuff.
I really like the look of the Dodge Trucks. And apparently a lot of people do, their sales are skyrocketing.
Buddy had a Chevy half ton , maybe 3/4, diesel bought new. Auto transmission issues from the git go, traded in less than a year.
We have a Toyota Tacoma Limited on order. Expecting better fuel economy, and a little better around town parking and easier to get in and out of.
Nissan Truck ? Honda Ridgeline ? Just a matter of principle. No can do.
Most American parts in a truck ?
#1 is almost a tie. Ford, Tundra & Ridgeline
Chevy dead last.
Here's the rundown . . . .
http://wallstcheatsheet.com/automobi...tml/?a=viewall

Old 10-07-2014, 07:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Bob, you won't find a significant advantage in your mileage with the Tacoma over the Tundra surprisingly. My real world mileage with my Tacoma over 7 years was less than their ratings and light around town/mostly highway got me in the 17-18 MPG range - about where I am with my 2014 Tundra which is getting well above the rated 13 town/17 highway so far (only 7k miles on it so far).

For the few dollars more I had to pay for the Tundra I was effectively able to replace the needs I was servicing with both the Tacoma & my F-350.

I did really like the styling on the Tacoma - liked it far better than the Tundra, but the Tundra's bulldog look is growing on me.

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 10-07-2014, 07:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Jones View Post
Tundra.
This speaks volumes coming from the man who went from two Tundras to a Ford!

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 10-07-2014, 08:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by necdb3 View Post
GM, Ford, and Dodge better pray Toyota never builds a 350 series truck. It would crush there truck sales.
No, it still would be uglier than sin, like their current offerings. That "bulldog on rollerskates" look is not appealing one bit.

1977 Trans Am, 400/M21 Black/Gold Bandit. 44K actual miles

2017 Sierra SLT 1500 Z71 4X4

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

Old 10-07-2014, 08:44 AM

I've always drove GM trucks and will continue too.I also live in Virginia (with the salt,think its more the pre-treat brine),I would recommend staying away from white ones!!! Some friends,family,& myself have white 05-10's,& they are starting to rust bad.Rockers & cab corners.Seams like white ones are the worst you see here.Local dealer said same thing.Seeing more on white ones.Figures since I like white,lol...Just had estimate on repairing my Avalanche,& Taiwan rockers are over $400 ea!!! Also I read one post talking about check engine lights on.Most likely the evap sensor...Bad deal on Gm,they came up with retro kit to fix them,& and price of kit has went up 3 times since it came out.They know they've got us...Should have been a recall !!!!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Old 10-07-2014, 09:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm with ya on that. I'd rather stick to the Detroit offerings. I just won't do a Toyota no matter what people say about them. I'm more about what the truck can do for me in the pulling department, that's what trucks are for in my opinion.

I actually prefer the GM stuff from the 70's and still have a 1 ton that I enjoy. Even with the 502/400 turbo and 3.73's I get a respectable 13-14 mpg highway and it pulls nicely with 540 ft lbs. on tap.

When I went shopping for a newer truck that would seat more people, I quickly found there wasn't much offered that had the pulling ability of my old 1 ton. I wanted something that would at least match the pulling ability, or more, and anything less just wasn't going to cut it. Big Blocks were gone and replaced with 6.0's, while that's a great engine (had one in a blazer and loved it) I needed more grunt for pulling these mountains. I wouldn't even consider a 5.3. Only the diesels would compare (and be better/stronger) to what I already had. So I started concentrating on the diesels.

Found a low mile 4x4 Duramax and couldn't be happier. After a mild tune and a couple bolt ons, it makes over 700 ft lbs and yanks my 28 foot enclosed around like it wasn't there. Climbing 7% mountain grades and never slowing down with 10,000 lbs. behind you was a pleasant surprise. Plus it knocks down 19 mpg highway and 16 mpg city. I can't complain about it. Does more than my old 1 ton will and does it without breaking a sweat. I drive it daily, very comfortable and quiet, rides very nice, has more gadgets than I care for but it's like a cadillac compared to the 70's trucks I've driven all my life. Take care of it and it will probably last me the rest of my life and be the last truck I'll need. So money well spent for my situation.

Old 10-07-2014, 10:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The 5.3 is only available in the 1/2 tons, and especially after a mild tune and a couple of bolt ons, they perform well for the intended usage, while delivering good fuel economy. If you are really serious, the 6.2 will put a smile on your face. The 6.0 is a H.D. application engine only, and is a tough one, but not good on fuel. The Duramax is the real deal, and works well. I just can't stand that low hung D.E.F. tank on the GM H.D. diesel trucks.

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

Old 10-07-2014, 10:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 Canamman View Post
The 5.3 is only available in the 1/2 tons, and especially after a mild tune and a couple of bolt ons, they perform well for the intended usage, while delivering good fuel economy. If you are really serious, the 6.2 will put a smile on your face. The 6.0 is a H.D. application engine only, and is a tough one, but not good on fuel. The Duramax is the real deal, and works well. I just can't stand that low hung D.E.F. tank on the GM H.D. trucks.
I bought pre DEF so no low hung tanks on my dmax. I also didn't want the added worry of keeping another tank full of cleaner. I've also read too many complaints of horrible gas mileage from that system. Overall aside from the little idiosyncrocies that every car/truck seems to have, I can't really complain about the truck. The dmax/allison is a very stout and proven combo and it pulls better than I thought it would.

I had the 6.0 pulled from a H.D. and retrofitted to my 72 blazer 4x4. With a 4L60E behind it and 3.73's I actually pulled very respectable mileage from it. I found the 6.0's lack a tune. The OEM tune is horrible with total timing curves in the single digits and running pig rich with a commanded WOT of 11.7, and entering PE with as little as 25% throttle angle. All that adds up to horrendous mileage figures. But I believe it's done because of the intended purpose of the engine being a work horse.
After I gave it a proper tune I knocked down 22 mpg highway and consistently got 17 mpg city driving. That truck weighing 5,000 lbs. also ran 14.30's at the track with 33" BFG all terrains I honestly love the LS engine platform and the ridiculous power they can make (wife drives an SS daily), they just don't offer the grunt that I need in a truck application to pull a 10,000 lbs trailer up and down the mountains.

Old 10-07-2014, 12:29 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

IF it was me, and you were considering spending 20,000 on a used truck, I think I would find some way to put another 10,000 to it and buy new.

Just the difference on bank loan interest and fuel mileage would close the gap. I always try to look at the TOTAL cost of buying the vehicle, not just the cost of the truck, you might be surprised, some killer deals out there on leftovers pickups.

I just bought a pretty well loaded 2014 Ford F150 (well loaded for what I wanted anyway) for 28,000 with the 5.0 buckets ext. cab sport pkg. 20" wheels, etc. and a 4wd could of been had for another 2 grand.

JMHO

Old 10-07-2014, 12:57 PM
Senior Chief

I agree with most that I would try and stay with one of the big three. But I don't know about you all but service has been a huge deal breaker for me. Every time I take one in for a issue they give me the run around. And not just me picking on stuff before the warranty runs out. These dealers around here are some of the worst. With this being said I spend my money on trucks that need very little service or will hold up to what I use them for.

Old 10-07-2014, 06:52 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

GM here, I like buying American products.

Old 10-07-2014, 07:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Lets face it , buying any used vehicle is a crap shoot these days unless you knew the owner, history of the vehicle / service records.

I have a 2004 F150 with the 5.4 that I bought new.
Truck has 138,200 miles on it, about 1/2 of that was towing something, Cars, Snowmobiles etc...
Yes it has has problems, what vehicle doesn't only towed home once in 10 years isn't bad.

Plan on getting a few more miles out of it before I get a newer ( Used) 2500 series truck.

Below motor destroyed last fall

469, 6X-4's, 72 Intake, Ramair Manifolds.
3 inch exhaust with x-pipe
Custom Roller Cam, 1.52 Roller Rockers
Quadrajet done by Cliff
3:42 gears

12.061 @ 110.74
12.092 @ 112.43
12.128 @ 111.71

New motor

461 stroker
Edelbrock 87 cc dport heads
Performer RPM
Same Ram Air manifolds, and quadrajet

Results will be posted after the track
Old 10-08-2014, 12:36 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transporter View Post
IF it was me, and you were considering spending 20,000 on a used truck, I think I would find some way to put another 10,000 to it and buy new.

Just the difference on bank loan interest and fuel mileage would close the gap. I always try to look at the TOTAL cost of buying the vehicle, not just the cost of the truck, you might be surprised, some killer deals out there on leftovers pickups.

I just bought a pretty well loaded 2014 Ford F150 (well loaded for what I wanted anyway) for 28,000 with the 5.0 buckets ext. cab sport pkg. 20" wheels, etc. and a 4wd could of been had for another 2 grand.

JMHO
Seriously considering doing this now, if not brand new, certified. Local Ford dealer has a 2013 F150 4x4 EcoBoost truck with 23k for just over 30k, 7year/100k mile powertrain warranty, 12,000 bumper to bumper. Not worried about the interest, not going to take a loan out. Will just pay for it outright. More than I want to spend, but....

Went 12's in pure daily driver trim! A/C, leather power seats, power
steering, full stereo, sound deadening, power windows, full suspension,
true street tires, power 4 wheel discs, and 25MPG!
Old 10-08-2014, 07:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

FWIW: I bought my loaded Z71 4X4 Sierra brand new 14 months ago for $28k plus tax.

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

Old 10-08-2014, 08:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Just a heads up, I believe the ecoboost trucks are the little V6 turbo trucks. Although they got alot of praise when they first came out, alot of owners are complaining they don't get anywhere near the advertised gas mileage (if that's even a concern for you) and other owners complain the power isn't what they expected. Alot of them were traded off. But that's just what I'm hearing around here. I'm sure the mountain terrain and nose bleed altitudes play a roll.

I imagine a tune would help tremendously in both areas, and turbo vehicles can be fun with the boost turned up, very easy to make power with. Not a bad looking truck though.

Old 10-08-2014, 09:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Maybe just maybe Mr. Vaught will chime in on this.
After all he was on the team at Ford that designed the Ecoboost!
All the people I know that own a vehicle with that engine love them and have been trouble free so far.

Old 10-08-2014, 09:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've had some turbo stuff, currently a duramax. In order for any turbo vehicle to produce decent mileage you have to stay out of boost. That could be part of the issues I'm hearing on the mileage complaints. Considering the mountain terrain here you are almost always in the throttle, plus the mile high elevations everything is a bit down on power. Hard to pull mileage out of anything around here. Then there are some people with a lead foot and then wonder why they use so much gas :shrug:

Plus alot of the "advertised" mileage figures from the manufactures are sometimes inflated a bit, or maybe pulled from "ideal" circumstances.

Old 10-08-2014, 10:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS circutguy View Post
All the people I know that own a vehicle with that engine love them and have been trouble free so far.
I have had heard the opposite. One friend owns a 2014 Taurus SHO. It is having issues with mysterious fogging smoke every other day. The dealer can't figure it out. I think it must be mositure in the intercooler. He hates the car and can't wait to dump it.

The other one is a guy who bought a 2012 4X4 EB Quad cab. He put 32k miles on it. He had misfire codes related to a stretched timing chain. He promptly traded it for a Ecotec 5.3 4X4 '14 Sierra 1500 and says that the truck is light years above the Ecoboost in refinement, power and economy.

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

Old 10-08-2014, 03:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Google that inter-cooler problem,interesting video..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fze1x9GJJ3E

Old 10-08-2014, 03:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

GM trucks tend to have a better resale than Fords....and are easier to resell..

1973 Formula SD455 - #'s auto orig paint
1972 Trans Am - 4 speed orig paint
1974 Formula 400 - Ram Air automatic
1966 2+2 convertible - 421 4bbl automatic
1967 Grand Prix - 4 speed orig paint
1967 GTO - 4 speed orig paint 35k orig miles