Looking good.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 10-21-2014, 10:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Your detailed pics are priceless, Joe.

Thank you for sharing!!

Old 10-21-2014, 10:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That is what I'm talking about. I KNOW that is gonna look awesome. Aside from all the doofy questions you are gonna have to answer it will rock! Can't wait to see it with the bumper/signal lights in place.

For those that do not know what is going on here… Joe is doing a modified GP front grill (with no big lights in the grill) retaining the in bumper signals on his Bonneville. An idea that I have wanted to execute on my GP for years.

Sorry I missed the other post -

IME the best way to do the bumper is with the brackets installed on the bumper. Sliding the forked section onto the car. Easier with 2, but 1 can do it. I do not remember about how/when to attach the rubber silencer deals at the side, but a quick look with the other idea in mind will likely lead to easy decision.

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
66 Bonneville 2d HT - In perpetual progress

Last edited by Deadhead; 10-21-2014 at 10:13 AM.
Old 10-21-2014, 08:50 PM
Senior Chief

Yeah I spent all day Sunday trying to figure out how to install the bumper, I started with the brackets mounted to the frame, only to find out that access to the two top nuts on the side of the bumper is impossible. I ended up doing what you said mounting the brackets to the bumper and sliding it in. Not happy with the fit not sure whats going on. I plan on going to Michigan this weekend to get the turn signal lenses and Im going to bring a bumper back from one of my other Bonnies. I have to see if I have a bumper issue.. I gathered the best of the rubber insulation used on my AC cars. I traced them on to cardboard and used them as templates. I found reinforced sheet rubber from Restoration Specialties and transferred the patterns from the templates including the A arm covers. That's what is shown on the pictures, thought I would share as they are not available.

Bruce I cant thank you enough for all of your input and vision. You deserve all the credit for the GP grill modifications

More pictures at the end of next week hopefully with a bumper attached..

C5 Corvette Roadster