EFI Tech All things EFI and making classics modern!

Old 02-13-2015, 07:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Do you have to set the fuel map parameters manually and adjust or did you start with one already set-up? I'm interested in FI and I'm still trying to decide which system I want, I would prefer port.

Old 02-13-2015, 09:28 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG View Post
Do you have to set the fuel map parameters manually and adjust or did you start with one already set-up? I'm interested in FI and I'm still trying to decide which system I want, I would prefer port.
I started with RJ 502 program that we got access to the unlock codes then adjusted it as needed, manually yes, sucked but we didnt have to write whole thing from scratch by any means. The efi ecu and harness are a 1000$ less than most at $600 but we had to modify the harness to fit car better and any money saved on initial purchase price was wasted on dyno time (250 plus pulls) as this mefi DOESNT auto tune. Now that we did this IF we were doing it again it would take 1/10th of the time on dyno as we have became much more knowledgeable about the mefi system but I would prob still tell most DIY home guys to just buy a high dollar setup that auto tunes and save the learning curve!!

http://www.smittysengtrans.com/
Old 02-13-2015, 01:03 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Healthy yep and shi* thats alot of concrete down. Smiles everywhere .

Old 02-13-2015, 07:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Great thread! Thanks for sharing the project. I'm liking what looks like a very low profile throttle body (for my Formula hood)! Seems like it could provide more intake options for me.

Old 02-18-2015, 06:07 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkillphil View Post
Great thread! Thanks for sharing the project. I'm liking what looks like a very low profile throttle body (for my Formula hood)! Seems like it could provide more intake options for me.
1.4 inches, rated at 2000 cfm its kick ass, on the dyno the motor only made 20 or so ft lbs of tq less at 60 % throttle oepeneing than wide open ao its definately big. The cool thing is even though its big we added a touch of accel enrichment and initial timing and its as crisp as a 350 cfm 2bbl!

Old 02-18-2015, 06:09 PM
Senior Chief

Keep in mind though, the throttle arm rotates upward , goes above top of throttle body quite a bit and we looked at modifying it in some way so it wouldnt contact air cleaner , it would not be easy at all so we used a blocker shaker setup and hood will fit nice.

Old 02-19-2015, 09:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Good point, does it seem to exceed the approximate stock height of a carb bellcrank?

Old 02-19-2015, 03:21 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Good point, does it seem to exceed the approximate stock height of a carb bellcrank?
I have it in cold storage now but the throttle arm definitely sticks up higher than a stock one, they got the throttle body down to 1.400 but to get any kind of throttle travel they had to make the bell crank stick up a little farther than stock, I will post a meas when I can get to car. I tried a drop base air cleaner on it and it would have had to be nocthed and cobbed to make arm clear and if air cleaner ever turned it would stick throttle open so I didnt go that route.

Old 02-19-2015, 04:26 PM
Suspended

That was a cool video man. Congrats on getting her fired up. Reminded me of my Formula...you just tap the pedal and she's up in smoke.

Old 02-19-2015, 04:39 PM
Suspended

A posi-unit would help but I'm pretty sure the result will be the same....

Old 02-19-2015, 06:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm wondering if the bellcrank length (height) could be shortened and an intermediate one fabbed up further back toward the firewall (clear of the air cleaner assembly) to transition/accomodate the geometry and keep the pedal travel consistent with the current setup.(?) I'm going to ponder this.

Old 02-20-2015, 02:34 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Very nice smitty! I have a couple questions, what size exhaust is that? What size tailpipes? Are they the Race-Pro mufflers? I love the unique sound..... I have a 1978 Trans Am with a 461,maybe around 450 hp, and I run dual 3" R.A.R.E exhaust with X-pipe and Flowmaster 50 series mufflers dumped right before rearend(no tailpipes). It sounds pretty good,but would like to get rid of the flowmasters and go with a straight-thru muffler design..I love the unique sound yours has, maybe it due to running tailpipes? It's the sound I'm after......I was at the Indian Uprising in Arkansas City,KS one year long ago, and Steve Combes was there with his beautiful blue 1970 Trans Am,I noticed it also had the same very unique sound, and if memory serves,he was running Dynomax Ultra Flow mufflers along with a X-pipe,and he also was running tailpipes.

Thanks, Brian

Old 02-20-2015, 12:33 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry Sr View Post
A posi-unit would help but I'm pretty sure the result will be the same....
I built the rear end with a 400 lb spring clutch posi, those burnouts were both tires, it lights up 26x12 Mickey Thompson sr soft compound tires like they are 7 inches wide!! Battery needs to go in the trunk still and going to have to get away from road race stiff suspension and go more towards a drag setup to have any hopes of ever getting traction!! We put the old BFGS on just to have fun as they were something I found brand new years ago but are too old to run on street safely!

Old 02-20-2015, 12:37 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
I'm wondering if the bellcrank length (height) could be shortened and an intermediate one fabbed up further back toward the firewall (clear of the air cleaner assembly) to transition/accomodate the geometry and keep the pedal travel consistent with the current setup.(?) I'm going to ponder this.
Something could be done, I had thought originally thought that having the intake about 2" taller and throttle body 2 inches shorter than a carb I would be able to bolt shaker on BUT drop base hits fuel rails and bell crank hit drop base and air cleaner was too small, . On dyno we lost almost 40 hp bolting a 3 x 9 kn on so mounting scoop to hood and running one of them was not something i wanted to do and even running a 3 x 14 with drop base mounted on a temp spacer took away some hp too. The blocker setup worked out beautiful! A secondary bell crank could be configured, I thought about something Llike that too.