Old 02-20-2015, 06:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 1970 GT-37 - pre-production

Would anyone happen to know the background of this factory photo from the GT-37.org website? The one they used in the original ad appeared to be Matador Red, while this one appears to be Carousel Red, or perhaps it's Matador red and the photo faded?

I ran across some interesting info on what may be the pre-production version of the GT-37, built as a Matador Red car in Oct 1969.

My Bio: I am currently writing articles for POCI's Smoke Signals magazine and enjoy promoting and discussing the history of the Pontiac Motor Division.
Old 02-20-2015, 07:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well? Spill!

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 02-20-2015, 09:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks like the Vehicle Dynamics Pad (aka "Black Lake") at the GM Milford Proving Ground.

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 02-21-2015, 11:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Chris, I recently discovered a document requesting a special build for a Pontiac engineer in Oct 1969. Request was to build a 1970 Tempest in Cardinal Red (my bad, I stated Matador Red earlier), equipped with a 400 4-speed, 3.90 gears, Rally II's, hood pins, D98 stripes, hood tach, RWL tires, exhaust extensions, and some other interesting options.

It appears to be the one used in the pre-production photo on Black Lake at the GM Proving Grounds.

My Bio: I am currently writing articles for POCI's Smoke Signals magazine and enjoy promoting and discussing the history of the Pontiac Motor Division.
Old 02-22-2015, 08:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Cool!

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 02-22-2015, 02:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

too cool where did you find that?

Old 02-22-2015, 02:44 PM
Senior Chief

[QUOTE=Keith Seymore;5361472]Looks like the Vehicle Dynamics Pad (aka "Black Lake") at the GM Milford Proving Ground.

K[/

I agree.

Old 02-22-2015, 04:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNoun View Post
Chris, I recently discovered a document requesting a special build for a Pontiac engineer in Oct 1969. Request was to build a 1970 Tempest in Cardinal Red (my bad, I stated Matador Red earlier), equipped with a 400 4-speed, 3.90 gears, Rally II's, hood pins, D98 stripes, hood tach, RWL tires, exhaust extensions, and some other interesting options.

It appears to be the one used in the pre-production photo on Black Lake at the GM Proving Grounds.
Was this document a work ticket? Or a "white paper" memo?

Is it something you could post here? (Or send privately)

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 02-26-2015, 03:52 PM
Senior Chief

I think it could be the light and water on the car washing out the colour of cardinal red. I know I've seen my burgandy appear near a weird metallic pink when it was wet on a weird stormy light day.

Id like to see that document too!:-)

Old 02-26-2015, 04:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

Having viewed this pic for many years (have it blown up as a poster in the garage), fully believe the vehicle pictured above is the special build you are referring to. Mike.

The black center caps, are early production. Access to "Black Lake" with professional photographer setup to take pics... points to not your every day vehicle. Another point of interest for me are the parking lights. For decades I searched for and pulled those lens out of yard cars. All amber lens was a station wagon deal. On other 70's, the clear/ amber lenses were the predominant style of original lens. On the above build, the all amber lens does help set the tone of the shot.

Old 02-26-2015, 07:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default BACK IN THE DAY

Quote:
Would anyone happen to know the background of this factory photo from the GT-37.org website? The one they used in the original ad appeared to be Matador Red, while this one appears to be Carousel Red, or perhaps it's Matador red and the photo faded?

I ran across some interesting info on what may be the pre-production version of the GT-37, built as a Matador Red car in Oct 1969.

...that photo is so cool...I want to live in that time, not now..I can deal with being 70-80

Old 02-26-2015, 09:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol Pinion head View Post
For decades I searched for and pulled those lens out of yard cars. All amber lens was a station wagon deal. On other 70's, the clear/ amber lenses were the predominant style of original lens. On the above build, the all amber lens does help set the tone of the shot.
i dont know about that....around here what ive found is lemans and lemans sport got amber..i have 2 boxes full of them..only tempest and GT 37 got clear...at least thats what i have found..and i have a bunch of that stuff..

but who knows..a lot can happed in 40 years..but its been consistant here in KC

havent seen a wagon around here to be able tell about that..i havent parted as many as you..but i have parted 10 plus 70s in the last few years

The Goat whisperer

"I spent a lot of my money on booze, crazy women, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."

Old 02-27-2015, 02:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Was the arrowhead emblem on the grill only on Lemans?

Maybe just lighting, but I don't see it.

Great pic, would be interesting to know it was a prototype

Old 03-13-2015, 09:14 AM

Default gt-37 numbers

Hello Good Morning Guys I need help. Looking at a local car and want to decode a VIN and find out if it is a true GT-37. Any help will be appreciated.

Old 03-13-2015, 10:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepino77819 View Post
Hello Good Morning Guys I need help. Looking at a local car and want to decode a VIN and find out if it is a true GT-37. Any help will be appreciated.
Welcome Pepino, contrary to what was posted earlier, you can not identify a factory GT-37 through the VIN. You should be able to through PHS though ( www.phs-online.com ).

There may be some tell tale signs like sport mirrors, factory dual exhaust, hood pins and rally II's. Also, depending on the paint job, sometimes remnants of the factory stripes may be left folded over inside the door jams or fender. Any pics?

Old 03-13-2015, 03:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Pepino, is the car in Cali? Canyon Copper? 400 4-speed '71?

Old 03-14-2015, 11:22 AM

Default gt-37

Thank you for the advise Norman. And no is an automatic Diego.

Old 03-14-2015, 11:28 AM

Smile gt-37

I have not seen the car yet. But the owner tell me it was sandal wood interior and automatic tranny. Also yes the car is here in So. Cal.

Old 03-14-2015, 07:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepino77819 View Post
I have not seen the car yet. But the owner tell me it was sandal wood interior and automatic tranny. Also yes the car is here in So. Cal.
Hope you're able to check it out! We are always eager for some pics of a So. Cal GT-37 so please post some up if you get a chance and let us know!

Old 03-14-2015, 08:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The one I know is supposedly Canyon Copper/parchment bench with 400 4-speed but I know that second-hand. It's in Chatsworth.