THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 04-05-2015, 02:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default RIP to one of the great Cold War Heros

'Jack' McNish, one of the greatest heroes of the Cold War, passed peacefully in his sleep on Good Friday. Remember him in your prayers. Only he and God know all he did for this country as he would never mention a word of it. He was captain of one of the first nuke subs, Halibut. It was the only nuke not to be under the command of Adm. Rickover. He was also an officer on Thresher prior to its sinking, his command shifting immediately prior to that. He lead missions which pioneered surveillance and stealth. According to accounts, he risked his own neck and career to do right by his crew where, if discovered, he was ordered to destroy the ship and crew.

He was a friend and fellow Church member. He survived being T-boned by a tractor trailer 4 years ago at age 80 +-, prevailing as he did through all the incredible trials of his life with that gritty smile. Funeral Saturday. Services at Arlington to follow in a month or so.

Thank you Jack. You were a bad ass in the highest order.

On R. turning over command of Halibut:

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
66 Bonneville 2d HT - In perpetual progress
Old 04-05-2015, 07:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

R.I.P. Sir. And give 'em hell up there.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 04-05-2015, 07:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

RIP Jack, and thank you..

Old 04-05-2015, 07:47 PM

A true hero for sure. The book "Blind Man's Bluff" told of the cold war mission he took on, where if discovered he was instructed to blow up the sub. Once I started reading the book I couldn't put it down. That was in 1998..One of the best books I ever read. RIP Sir, Semper Fi from an old Marine.