THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 04-17-2015, 12:06 PM

I have tried to read some of the chapter and contributor articles - finding that both are a cure for insomnia.
The ads - well, can't say anything different than what has been said above.

Many months since I've even opened up the plastic on one - too much good stuff can be found here and it takes less time to find it.

You need more car features, more tech articles and some historical "blast form the past" type stuff. Think information and entertainment. Eye candy works, too.

Old 04-17-2015, 01:00 PM
PY VIP

Well, then- how would you know what changes have been made since last November when you haven't unwrapped one in many months?

Founding Editor-in-Chief, Poncho Perfection Magazine (October 1, 2015- present)
www.ponchoperfection.com
Contributing Editor: Collectible Automobile (1999- present)

Author:
"Grand Prix: Pontiac's Luxury Performance Car" (Released April 27, 2007)
"How to Restore Your Pontiac GTO" (Released July 15, 2012)
"Pontiac Concept and Show Cars, 1939-1980" (Release Date April, 2016)

"Leave the gun, take the cannoli."
Old 04-17-2015, 01:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtohurstjudge View Post
I brought up this subject not to criticize POCI or Don Keefe, but to point
out that the magazine could easily be made a more interesting read than it is now. I own
a 65 Buick Riviera, and both the Riviera Owners Association magazine and Buick Club of America magazines are more interesting to read than Smoke Signals, even though they are
nowhere near the number of pages in Smokes. The ROA magazine is about 28 pages and it
is packed full with interesting articles about Rivieras, but there are no 50 dollar grommets for sale in there anywhere. Every page is devoted to facts about Rivieras or features on Rivieras, but there are no weather reports for Minnesota or talk about fixing the snowblower.
I spend hours reading my Riviera magazine and a few minutes reading my Smoke Signals.
The classified ads have to be renewed monthly or they are automatically eliminated. All
of the monthly contributors talk about restoration tips or in depth Riviera facts, not how much it is snowing outside or what they got done to their personal car. One thing that could
easily be done is bring on board some Pontiac experts to do monthly articles with no weather
reports in them. People like Scott Tiemann or other renowned Pontiac restorers could take
some pics of what they are doing in their shop at the moment, or give us some restoration tips. Feature articles could be solicited from the membership. these articles have to be
sought after. You have to ask the membership to write them and submit pictures, not wait
for them to arrive on the desk. Don, if you would like to see a copy of the Riview, the publication of the Riviera Owners Association, I would be happy to mail you a copy.
Smoke Signals has grown into an awesome magazine. To be honest, I dont think that anyone has the right to justify what goes into the magazine unless you are a contributor. Its ok to suggest ideas directly to the editor, but posting this in a public forum as big as this website was the wrong idea.

I have been a newsletter editor and getting people to write content such as tech articles is very difficult or almost impossible. I know Don has some things in the works but filling each magazine with content that would please everyone is a tough job and there isnt anyone on earth who could do it better.

Keep it up Don!! Just remember that the vast majority never say a word but the ones who are unhappy say the most.

Old 04-17-2015, 01:07 PM

Don you have a PM

Old 04-17-2015, 01:42 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Feature articles could be solicited from the membership. these articles have to be sought after. You have to ask the membership to write them and submit pictures, not wait
for them to arrive on the desk.
Don is doing this. He approached me at Wichita last summer and asked if I would write an article about the SD clone AFBs, the results of which were in the January/February issues.

Old 04-17-2015, 01:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes, your article was a fantastic read.....best thing that's been in the magazine in
a good while. My point is that we need more of this type of content and fewer ten year
old ads and weather reports. This will be my last comment on the matter, and I hope that
something positive can come from this discussion. I wish only the best for POCI and the Smoke Signals Magazine in the future, and thanks to Don for all his hard work as editor...
I know he gives it his all.

Old 04-17-2015, 02:13 PM
PY VIP

For those who contacted me privately, I am for whatever reason unable to respond. Thanks for the kind words and if you want to call, my number is 585-489-9826.

Founding Editor-in-Chief, Poncho Perfection Magazine (October 1, 2015- present)
www.ponchoperfection.com
Contributing Editor: Collectible Automobile (1999- present)

Author:
"Grand Prix: Pontiac's Luxury Performance Car" (Released April 27, 2007)
"How to Restore Your Pontiac GTO" (Released July 15, 2012)
"Pontiac Concept and Show Cars, 1939-1980" (Release Date April, 2016)

"Leave the gun, take the cannoli."
Old 04-17-2015, 06:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I am thrilled to get my copy of Smokes in the mail every month, & I think the Pontiac hobby is VERY fortunate to have Mr. Keefe in our corner. There are some constructive ideas on here about content, however it is a CLUB magazine, and some of us working on projects are prime candidates to submit content. The club should decide the evolution of the magazine. I see no harm in dropping some old adds or snow reports. I enjoy reading about anyones cars in it. Thanks Don for doing a great job!

Old 04-17-2015, 06:37 PM
Suspended

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Goat 67 View Post
To further emphasize my comments earlier, I went to http://poci.org/POCI_Featured_Events.cfm?Tp=E&NID=222# to read about the Car B Que article and look at more detailed pictures than Smoke Signals showed. The quality of the website is elementary at best. As a comparison, go to http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/cgi-b...aldisplayed=21 to view a history of my car done years ago. Click on the pictures there and watch them blow up so one can view them in detail.

Went there earlier to post up my car in the Garage section. After about fifteen minutes trying to make it work for me, I gave up in frustration! I guess our pride of owning Pontiacs is all over now.

We are now just dinosaurs.
Quote:
Yes, your article was a fantastic read.....best thing that's been in the magazine in
a good while. My point is that we need more of this type of content and fewer ten year
old ads and weather reports. This will be my last comment on the matter, and I hope that
something positive can come from this discussion. I wish only the best for POCI and the Smoke Signals Magazine in the future, and thanks to Don for all his hard work as editor...
I know he gives it his all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCMDGTO View Post
I am thrilled to get my copy of Smokes in the mail every month, & I think the Pontiac hobby is VERY fortunate to have Mr. Keefe in our corner. There are some constructive ideas on here about content, however it is a CLUB magazine, and some of us working on projects are prime candidates to submit content. The club should decide the evolution of the magazine. I see no harm in dropping some old adds or snow reports. I enjoy reading about anyones cars in it. Thanks Don for doing a great job!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Keefe View Post
Thanks, Alvin for recognizing a point I was going to make myself. We have been working hard to keep things moving forward and keeping a positive attitude with the Pontiac hobby. I saw an opportunity to grow POCI with the mailing lists from the recently deceased HPP and GMHTP. It did work and we have boosted the membership to a 15-year high. We are at 9,700+ members right now and we plan on hitting 10,000 in calendar year 2015. That's up over 1,200 since November.

While we are continually trying to help fill the void left by the commercial magazines, we can't be all things to all people. We have incorporated HPP's "What If" column and added some of HPP's freelancers to our masthead. More improvements are on the way and yes, more tech is on the way. Some will be "DIY" stuff, we will have some electrical stuff, some suspension upgrades later on, as well as a fuel system installation article, some resto tech, and even an engine build.

Instead of just saying, "It's not like HPP," why not actually read some of the columns, get involved with the club activities, and find out everything POCI, poci.org and Smoke Signals brings to the table. It's a lot more than at 10-minute read- if you let it.
IMHO - all great points and topics posted above and on this thread...if we can all pull it together to keep this "Pontiac" ship afloat...it will be to everyone's PONTIAC benefit.

Old 04-17-2015, 07:36 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiedlerh View Post
What if you charged a nominal fee of $1 or two per month per ad, payable in advance for up to 12 months? That would clear out some of the dead ads. You could probably even charge more for vehicle-for-sale ads. Regular magazines charge dearly for ads, but I don't know what is customary for car club national publications.

For chapter reports the most useful information would be upcoming car shows and swap meets. When I am travelling on vacation or business I always look for local car events.
Members get 1 FREE ad per year, unless you're giving something away, in TURNING WHEELS, the national publication of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Freebie ads can run anytime.

Old 04-18-2015, 11:21 AM

I love getting my Smoke Signals each month. It's a truly stellar club publication! And considering how inexpensive POCI dues are, it's a great bargain! I really appreciate the work Don is doing to improve the magazine, and we Pontiacers are lucky indeed to have him.

I also hate losing HPP, but that takes nothing away from Smoke Signals and the great work Don is doing to improve it.

Old 04-24-2015, 04:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61-63 View Post
Don is doing this. He approached me at Wichita last summer and asked if I would write an article about the SD clone AFBs, the results of which were in the January/February issues.
I would certainly like to see a copy of your article, if possible.

Thanks.

Jon.

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
Old 04-24-2015, 10:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Smoke Signals was awarded the Golden Quill:

http://www.oldcarsweekly.com/news/cl...rd-winners-are

So what's the problem?

Old 04-25-2015, 01:58 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Jon- you could go to the POCI website and try looking at 'online archives' for Jan & Feb '15 articles. But when I tried it just now, it only downloaded the first two pages of Jan'15, then quit downloading- don't know why.

Old 04-25-2015, 07:38 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbking View Post
I would certainly like to see a copy of your article, if possible.

Thanks.

Jon.
I'll make a photocopy and mail it to you. I assume your mailing address is what shows on your website?

John

Old 04-25-2015, 07:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Gifford View Post
Jon- you could go to the POCI website and try looking at 'online archives' for Jan & Feb '15 articles. But when I tried it just now, it only downloaded the first two pages of Jan'15, then quit downloading- don't know why.
I'm downloading copies right now. It "acts" like it stops, but I think the download keeps on going. I found if you start it, then walk away for 5-10 minutes, you should have your saved copy. It just needs a little time.

Old 04-25-2015, 09:06 PM
Suspended

Thumbs up Room for improvement for shore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mviker View Post
I'm downloading copies right now. It "acts" like it stops, but I think the download keeps on going. I found if you start it, then walk away for 5-10 minutes, you should have your saved copy. It just needs a little time.
Kinda like this? vvvvv Luv & appreciate the effort, but the "kid's" aren't gonna wait for those downloads times like we might

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	396075