Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 05-18-2015, 01:29 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default forgot the dipstick tube

already put on the windage tray, so i guess it has to come off. looking at this picture from Red Coupes thread, i would say there is no other way. crap. . i have two tubes that are almost the same. they are not nearly as long as the one in Red's picture here. they came from a 400 and a 455. both are the short ones that dont need to be pressed into the block thank God. have an Ames catolog sitting here i am guessing one's angle is 39 degrees and the other is 52, ( page 227). i used the full windage tray. dont remember which engine it came off. anybody know which tube goes with a full windage tray?

When a cat is dropped it always lands on its feet. When buttered toast is dropped it always lands with the buttered side facing down. If a piece of buttered toast was attached to the back of a cat, when dropped, the cat/buttered toast combination should hover, spinning just above the ground, as it tries unsuccessfully to resolve the inevitable conflict of non-scientific certainties.

Last edited by bullheimer; 05-18-2015 at 01:56 AM.
Old 05-18-2015, 01:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Gather you are talking about the bottom curved tube? Without the tube the tray will deflect the dipstick into the crank, and the dipstick would be mulched on start up. If the engine was already in the car and you just remembered, then I'd suggest capping the top of the tube with a large vacuum cap and carrying the dipstick in the trunk. With the engine off, you can check the oil and it will still show the proper level.

Old 05-18-2015, 02:06 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

no i'm still trying to get the short block together. any idea which tube i need for the upper? im guessing the N306 on the same page of the catolog for a 70 block. i guess that is the only option. yea. hope i still have it so i dont have to spend another 30 bucks. that's a great idea tho if i had it running already.

When a cat is dropped it always lands on its feet. When buttered toast is dropped it always lands with the buttered side facing down. If a piece of buttered toast was attached to the back of a cat, when dropped, the cat/buttered toast combination should hover, spinning just above the ground, as it tries unsuccessfully to resolve the inevitable conflict of non-scientific certainties.
Old 05-19-2015, 02:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default forgot the dipstick tube

Here is a link to my Pontiac Dip Stick Post. It's got descriptions, photos and part numbers for all the Pontiac dip stick components.

My dipstick post is a few years old, so I can't say for sure if the part numbers are still valid, but the rest of the info is. Hope this helps you out.

"There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots!"
Old 05-20-2015, 02:22 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

yes, that 157 is like one i have, but i have both, the 39 degrees and the 52 degree one, that are both in the Ames cat. i spoze only one will line up perfectly with the windage tray hole. thanks for that link tho, nice pics of the lower tubes.

Old 05-22-2015, 07:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Wow, red coups is running factory forged rods, he's brave!

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 05-22-2015, 09:38 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

that makes me feel better.

i wish i had her pistons.