Old 05-18-2015, 11:00 PM

Great find on the Arc machine. I used one just like it at the Porsche dealer in 72-75, on the Audis. Almost all us old mechanics have COPD in one stage or another from brakes and clutches. Be sure to use that respirator. Yes that socket is for a bag..
There were no problems with E brakes or wheel cylinders. Everything but the slot in the backing plate was the same. I found complete self adjusting hardware kits for a 64 Pontiac somewhere. I think it was Rock Auto, but i don,t see them there now. I am sure Wagner or some other big supplier sells them. everything came in a plastic bag for each wheel. You just need a GM kit for 11 inch brakes. Here is the link I used to mount the parts.
http://www.pbase.com/nufsed/drumbrake

Old 05-19-2015, 11:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Don't breath the dust you're gonna make!
Quote:
There's a fair lot of stories out the about old mechanics with lung disease from working on brakes and the dust.
Back when the shoes had a lot of asbestos that was bad. Why all the auto parts stores stopped doing this kind of work. And probably part of the reason to push for disc brakes where you didn't need to arc the shoes. But most dust can be a problem and even with whatever they make lining out of now it's a good idea to do the mask and shop vac idea.

Old 05-19-2015, 01:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine-Ear View Post
The first pic Kev uploaded looks like it has an exhaust/vacuum port for keeping the dust out of the user's face.

What does that weigh? Where was it shipped from?
Matt. Seller said it weighs in around 100lbs and I paid about $52.60 to have it shipped from Glenmont, NY to Arlington, VA.

It also comes with a dust collecting bag, but I am going to hook up a shop vac outside when using this beast.

This is the actual listing...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ammco-brake-...vip=true&rt=nc

Should arrive tomorrow.

Kevin

Old 05-19-2015, 02:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks Kevin!