Old 05-29-2015, 10:42 AM
Senior Chief

Default Anyone running a Ratchet shifter with Bench seats?

Im getting ready to do a bunch of performance mods to my 72 catalina and one of them is a Hurst Ratchet Shifter, floor mounted, i see they have longer handles for trucks, i am wondering if the truck handle would work or do i need to fabricate a handle? I just want to be able to shift comfortably not leaning forward fighting the G force lol
Thanks again! You guys have been a big help!

Old 06-03-2015, 12:00 PM
Senior Chief

I figured most probably stay with the column shift but im surprised nobody is running a ratchet shifter! I grew up manually shifting Auto's and i guess i will probably get the truck ratchet and i might bend the shift arm towards the seat to put it in a comfortable position

Old 06-03-2015, 01:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think it's mainly that there just aren't many people who have full size Pontiacs of the 1971-1976 generation, and even fewer are hot rodding them. It's too bad, as they were really nice cars - I drove a '71 Catalina for many years.

Also, bucket seat or consoles weren't available for those years, so adding a floor shift isn't a common thing.

Old 06-03-2015, 01:36 PM

I have a hurst pro matic 2 in my 76 bonneville. I have the split bench in mine with the passenger side all the way back but it still puts the lever a bit far forward for my liking. I doubt the truck shift would help much with the taller base as I think it would put the lever into the dash while in park. I'm likely going to lightweight buckets soon and the moving the shifter back to a more comfortable position.

Old 06-05-2015, 12:16 PM
Senior Chief

Good info lawman! I wasnt sure if it was the base being taller or a longer handle, your right if its a bunch taller it wouldnt work, ill be installing one here pretty soon so im sure i will find out what i need to do, i just need to do some more homework before i decide which shifter i want.
This will also make my Header install easier because you normally need to mod the column setup by the trans with Long Tubes.
Stuart, i agree, there isnt too many of us Crazy guys out there drifting 4500lb cars and driving them like they are Fbodies LOL
I havent been able to afford a decent Fbody or Abody so ill take what i can get, plus i really like being Different, Ever seen an 11 second 4 door 72 catalina? Me neither lol
Thats the goal, the motor im building is a 523 stock block deal, well depending on a couple things it may end up a 495 instead, either way i am going to try and get 11's before the nitrous

Old 06-05-2015, 01:36 PM

A little off-topic but there is a bolt in ford 9" for the b body cars on ebay. Haven't bought it myself yet but I saw one in a 76 impala with a 400 small block and a blower running 12s. Company is out of Ames, IA.

Old 06-05-2015, 04:52 PM
Senior Chief

Right on! Luckily for me 72 transitioned to the 8.5 ten bolt which can take some abuse when built correctly, i will be replacing the 2.73's to 3.08's and a trutrac along with some beefier parts, but even then 650ft lbs of torque and a 4600lb car will ring that 10 bolts neck so that 9" sounds promising