Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 06-13-2015, 08:42 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Johnson Outboard Motor

My dad has an 85 horse Johnson outboard boat motor that I would like to check the charging system on. I am charging the battery for it and have no idea how a charging system works on an outboard motor. Can I use my voltage meter to see if it is being charged properly? if so how and what should it read? Does anyone know how to check this? Thanks for any help you can offer, I just learned how to check the charging system on my Lemans and I think something is wrong with his boat as the battery was dead. Could have been the bilge pump drawing it down but I don't think so.

Old 06-14-2015, 08:33 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I'm guessing but with the motor running it should have more voltage at the battery terminals than with the engine off. Maybe 14.5 running verses 12.5 engine off. Google is your friend....

Old 06-14-2015, 12:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

a fully charged battery will have 12.6 volts. When running, the voltage should be greater, typically 14.0, but any voltage above 12.6 will charge the battery. Some charging systems will only charge at RPM above idle, so check the charge voltage at slightly higher rpm if the idle voltage is 12.6 or below.

If the battery is dischrged to start with, the voltage may be lower than 12.6 to start with, but should gradully increase to above 12.6 as the battery charges.

george

Old 06-15-2015, 12:45 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Okay, it sounds like it's just the same as my car when I tested that. I wasn't sure how these things charge the battery as there is no alternator. I assume there is some kind of generator that does it. I'll test it once I get to charging the battery. Thanks guys.

Old 06-15-2015, 09:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It will have an alternator, and lets hope it isn't the problem. (Big Job). I think it will have a regulator, rectifier combination box. Usually that is what goes bad. Some older ones don't have a regulator, but only a rectifier. Make sure you have a good battery and have it charged full before testing.

Old 06-16-2015, 09:36 AM

Default Big Ole Johnson ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2gIdMRwfuM

Dan

Old 06-16-2015, 04:11 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

My wife will never hear the end of this when we go boating this summer. Too funny.