THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 06-22-2015, 10:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Another Kidney Stone Thread.....

I woke up last Tuesday morning with a dull ache in my right hip. By the time I got settled at work that morning the ache had gone away. Same deal Wednesday morning. By 10am, no problem. Then Wednesday evening around 9 suddenly it was back. At that point my thinking shifted from "what did I do to my hip" to "kidney stone". Thursday morning I noticed a slight change in my urine's color, so I called my urologist. Normally I wouldn't do that but I know I have a 6-7mm stone and I wanted to verify this wasn't it on the move. The doc's office told me to come on and they'd work me in and by that time I was peeing pink. I got to the doc's office and fairly quickly they called me back and asked me for urine sample. I complied. Instead of being diluted in a toilet, the sample goes in a cup. It looked about like this. Reddish brown opaque. I sat the sample on the shelf and walked across the hall to my exam room. I sat down and in a couple of minutes Doc Hudson came in. As the Doc and I are talking I noticed his nurse walk in the bathroom across the hall for my sample. She picked it up and upon looking at the contents she visibly cringed. She hadn't see me looking but looked up when I asked her if she thought I might have a stone moving? She looked up at me and then looking over at Doc Hudson she said "that might be a safe diagnoses". A CT scan revealed a 3mm stone hanging about midway from kidney to bladder, right where I told Doc it ached.
I still haven't seen it pass and my right side, about pelvis high continues with a dull ache and a I have tired feeling right leg, if that makes any sense. No more visible blood since Thursday late.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 06-22-2015, 11:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

when i had mine last year it felt like I was stabbed in the abdomen and the knife was being twisted.

So what is going to be done?

George

Old 06-22-2015, 12:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by george kujanski View Post
when i had mine last year it felt like I was stabbed in the abdomen and the knife was being twisted.

So what is going to be done?

George
I have some pain meds and a med to "relax" my urinary tract to allow the stone to more easily pass. I took 1/2 a pain pill Thursday evening and woke to fairly substantial pain Friday morning, so I took the other half. Since then the pain has backed off to a dull ache so I haven't taken another. The urinary tract med I'm still taking but I can't tell that it's doing a thing. Doc's last words to me were...."I'm waiting on you now". I should be able to pass a 3mm stone (and have). He said if it continues to cause issues he'll go in and get it, but we have to give it time to leave on it's own.
The larger stone I mentioned, that I was worried about, he's a bit reluctant to shatter. After they are shattered they don't magically go away, you then get to pass the smaller pieces. The last time I had one shattered I passed the last piece a month later. During my September appt we'll discuss getting rid of it. I am working on my diet and the amount of liquid I intake and we'll see what happens with that as far as growing new stones go.
I got my 1st stone back in my early 40's and have passed a number of stones (8-10) since then. I've also had lithotripsy twice and he's pulled one out once. The lithotripsy gets you a stent (for a week each time in my case) to allow the gravel to more easily leave. You haven't lived until you've had a stent pulled out of your *****.
My stones are oxalate stones, which basically means that anything I like to eat can turn into a kidney stone if I don't push enough fluids through to keep things flushed out. I'm beginning to think that that is not humanly possible.
Pain? I've been close to passing out with some, only a mild bit of pain with some and and once pee'd out a small stone with no warning....and everything in between. This particular stone is hanging on longer than any others I've had.

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 06-22-2015, 02:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have had several of these painful stones. No fun. No sleep!

Car is a junk yard dog and maybe one day will be restored.
Old 06-22-2015, 04:23 PM
Senior Chief

I've had one stone. It had me curled up on the floor crying it hurt so bad. Ended up being 13mm. No passing that one. Had to have lithotripsy done twice to get that out. The stent was in for 5wks total. I was off work for 6wks with that darn thing. Ended up passing lot of gravel.

Old 06-22-2015, 05:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

As the clique goes "Brother, I feel your pain."

Jim

65 Catalina sedan. Allen Thomas Performance 495. KRE Heads at 310cfm ported by SD Performance, ProSystems Dominator carb on ported Victor intake, P-Dude custom grind hydraulic roller, MSD ignition, 3.50 Moser/Ford rear. F-Glass front bumper by son Rob, rear by the old man and joint effort for trunk lid. 3950# w/driver. Best of 9.5761/139 on 175 shot, 6.01 /114 in 1/8.
Old 06-22-2015, 05:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have had two stones over the years. One was 6mm and they had to go up and get it. Not fun!!!!!

Doctor said mine was acid type.

I was told to drink plenty of water. I always have water with me.

I haven't had another one since.

Good luck with passing yours' .

USPS Money Orders or Wal-Mart to Wal-Mart money gram wire transfer -preferred payments.

If Payment doesn't show up in 3-4 days, I move on to the next person that wants it.

Serious Inquiries Only - Shipping Isn't Free.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have never had a kidney stone but I was in the hospital for 4 days two weeks ago with a Urinary track infection caused by a strain of E-Coli! It felt like I was passing fire when I urinated so I tried to hold it as long as I could. That was about 20 minutes with all the fluids they were giving me.
If a kidney stone hurts anything like that I will pass on having one.

Old 06-22-2015, 09:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrffytr1 View Post
If a kidney stone hurts anything like that I will pass on having one.
You will have no choice in getting one or not Phil.

I've had only one that I eventually passed. Like Craig said... "It had me curled up on the floor crying it hurt so bad." And I was in a cold sweat while curled up and crying. My wife had one a year after I did. and said she'd rather have another baby than have a kidney stone. Now that tells ya how bad they hurt. Best relief was those morphine shots they gave me.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 06-22-2015, 11:02 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

My urologist told me to avoid certain foods that are high in oxalates. Go easy on black soda (cola, root beer, dr pepper, etc), broccoli , and nuts, all which I really like.
Had two types of stones. One has jagged edges which scrapes the ureter and causes blood in urine (though I developed the prostate cancer thing). Not much pain, but the doc had to go get it. Other was smooth, but caused so much lower back pain I went into shock. Passed it days later.

66 Chevy II 461 Pontiac in AZ
Old 06-23-2015, 04:14 PM

I have only cried a few times in my life, mostly related to a death event in the family - but, I also had a kidney stone decide to loosen up and want to be passed when I was driving in the middle of nowhere in Wyoming. Needless to say, I pulled over, laid across the trunk of my company car (for whatever reason, bending over seemed to help) and then I tried to pee razorblades on the side of the road facing about about a 40mph wind.

I will not lie, tears running down my face until I plinked out a pinhead of a crumb-like object

It really hurt, but immediate relief right afterwards

Old 06-23-2015, 06:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The only relief I got was lyng down on my right side. my wife took me to the ER, I was lying on the back seat. They did not get a gurney for me but a wheelchair and wanted me to sit there while getting info.

i told them i needed to lie down; there was no place to lie down so i said I'm going to lie here on the floor. They said I could not.........I said watch me and laid down on the floor. along came a bunch of nurses to take me away........

George

Old 06-23-2015, 09:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My wife dropped me off at the walk in emergency room entrance at the old Carraway Hospital once. She then drove off to park the van, assuming that I could get in the door without creating a scene.
Nope.
I walked the 4 feet to the sliding door bent over fairly dramatically. The door opened and I made it to the closest chair, which was facing the other way. I bent over it and groaned. The security guard asked me if he could help and I grunted out "kidney stone". He left and quickly returned with a wheel chair and hauled me back through the triage doors. Turned out he'd had one. It still took a while to get me processed but it felt better being in the back. My wife was a bit surprised when she couldn't find me.
My first stone hit so quickly I thought I was dying. I left the house on a stretcher. I had no idea what it was.....simply I was suddenly on the floor in complete agony. Later, I remember the paramedic leaning over me telling me I wasn't in danger, that my vitals were good. "We've run an ambulance, do you want it?"
"Hell yes"
Turned out to be the first of many stones.....no more ambulances though.

Old 06-23-2015, 11:39 PM

Had only one when I was 19 and passed it, but I have never forgot it. Imagine living back before Lithotripsy or Lasers.

Old 06-24-2015, 12:31 AM
Suspended

I had my 1st stone when I was 6 years old. They took me to the hospital thinking I was faking. This was 1962. Thought I was trying to get out of school. When they wouldn't let me go pee , I peed over the crib they had me in & they found the stone in the pee in the AM. They didn't think I was faking any more. Didn't have another until i was 24. After that one which they had to remove by surgery, because it was impacted between the kidney & bladder & then the skin grew over it so it wouldn't pass, couldn't pass & they left if there for 18 months because they didn't know why it wasn't passing. I hope no one else goes through that. I passed my last one,,, well they took in out by sonic means just a year ago. That made stone # 41. Some have hurt like hell & some I've passed ok. But all are bad. A few have made me pass out, 1 at work while on the toilet which was kinda hard to explain. In between Jan. & Mar. of 92 I passed 14 of them. Each one got bigger & bigger. At that tome I was starting to feel like a fountain for stones. I do feel for anyone that has to go through this. The doctors say having a stone for a guy is like a girl having a baby. Well I've had 41 of them & I have to say I don't want any more. I feel for you. Take your pills the 1st sign of the pain because it doesn't get any better until it pass's. If it does....

Old 06-24-2015, 07:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

They have a mobile unit here that they take around. It has an ultrasonic machine in it they can blast the stones with and turn them into sand, making them easier to pass. Any chance you could get some type of therapy like that to make it easier to pass? Would be worth traveling to find somewhere that does if not. I know the bigger ones can be too large for this machine. A guy I grew up with has passed dozens of them. Somehow passed one the size of an M&M. The nurse did not believe him & refused to give him pain meds b/c he is a nut case, & she figured he was just out for the meds. He plucked the stone from the toilet, found her and slapped it in her palm.

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
66 Bonneville 2d HT - In perpetual progress
Old 06-25-2015, 08:57 PM
Senior Chief

David,

I'm very sorry to hear that you have a kidney stone. As you can tell, many of us Forum members have been through this. Between age 25 and 65 I've had 12+ stones. I live here in the 'stone belt'. I think the stent is the worst. My urologist leaves a string hanging out the end of my 'unit' and tapes it back to the surrounding skin. It really sucks when he pulls it out, but at least the stone is gone or in pieces.

Good luck!

64 GTO convertible, gone but not forgotten
76 CB750K
72 CB350F

" why yes, I am old school, so what?"
Old 06-25-2015, 10:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I had my first one in 1988 and over the years I had 15 episodes of them. when I had the first one my urologist told me to never drink mountain dew again. well I didn't listen and then somewhere around 2005 and after the 15 which was another very large one with a few smaller trailers behind it, I took the doctors advice and have never had another drink of mountain dew again. and I have not had another kidney stone again either. he said mountain dew has something in it that breaks the calcium out of your bones therefore causing a high rate of stones to heavy dew drinkers.

Old 06-27-2015, 08:06 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Had one in 2005.....The ER Dr diagnosed me on sight and gave me a morphine drip. Woke up 10 hours later wondering where the heck I was. Pee'd through a funnel/fine screen for a few days and got the little sucker. They told me to stay away from too much dairy and shellfish. I cannot live without either and luckily haven't had another stone in 10 years. Worst pain...probably only second to a burn

Old 06-27-2015, 09:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This one has been different. Right now my hip aches and I've had fleeting pain in the kidney area. I talked to Doc Hudson Friday. If I haven't passed it by Monday call him and we'll start making plans to go get it.