Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 06-23-2015, 07:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 05 Silverado A/C fan help

The fan won't come on in my friends 05 Silverado. The blower relay under the hood is good as are all fuses. The control panel shows the fan speed increasing and decreasing when you work the switch but there is no air movement at all.
Could the fan motor itself be bad? How hard is it to replace? It is located under the dash on the passenger side.

Old 06-23-2015, 10:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I had the same thing happen to an 04 that I owned. IIRC there was another relay under the dash somewhere. Once that was replaced everything was ok.

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 06-24-2015, 07:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My 05 GMC had same problem.Relay blown under glove box.Dealer couldn't keep em n stock. I bought mine from NAPA cheaper also.I also bought I believe pig tail then spliced in. Day before leaving for Norwalk.I heard from mechs. this was problem and like mine melted some caught fire!

Old 06-24-2015, 10:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The relay was replaced about 4 years ago. We took the cover off to get to the relay and motor. A technician told us to tap on the bottom of the fan motor with a hammer to see if that would help. It didn't. Then my buddy jiggled the wires to the relay and that didn't help either. As he walked around the truck to shut it off the fan suddenly started working.
I think he should replace the relay to be safe.

Old 06-24-2015, 11:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I would bet the fan motor is bad.Brushes in the motor are probably sticking. If a resistor goes bad it usually stay's bad.

TOM
Old 06-25-2015, 10:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We are going to wait and see if it stops again. If it does he will try tapping the motor only. My guess is that the relay connection may be faulty and when he moved the wires they made contact again.
I had a 91 GMC that the A/C controls would quit working in. I could reach under the dash, unplug the harness and plug it back in and the A/C would go back to working. I did this about once every six months.