Old 10-13-2015, 12:23 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 79 trans am wont shut off

trying to help a friend with a 79 trans am. after it warms up good when I shut the key off it stays running. I can hear it stumble a bit like the hei is getting full voltage. if I unplug the alt it shuts right off. I reploaced the alt but it does the same thing. do I need to add a diode? on which wire
thanks bryan

Old 10-13-2015, 12:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'll bet the HEi is being fed thru a relay.

Add a diode in series with the alt idiot lite wire, term 1 on the alt plug, with the diode arrow pointing to the alt.

George

Old 10-13-2015, 01:29 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default diode

thanks George. I don't think the hei is being fed by a relay but a lot of the wiring was butched by a previous owner. the onle relay I saw went to cooling fans. I unplugged that but it didn't change. any idea on what diode and where to get it?
thanks bryan

Old 10-13-2015, 03:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

1n4001 thru 1n4007 are popular Even Radio Shack has it if you can find a store that is still open. Any electronic store will have them or equivalents.

George

Old 10-13-2015, 04:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Check the diodes in the alternator, If they are bad electricity will back feed from the battery and the engine will not shut off.