THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 10-20-2015, 08:46 AM
Senior Chief

Talking Visiting Australia

I know there's lost of Aussies hanging here so please help me out.
My employee is sending me to Australia for business. Going to visit Wagga Wagga 13 thru 16th November and then have a week of in Sydney and launch home at the 28th of November.
Are there any car shows, racing or other interesting stuff going on in the neighborhood at the time of my visit?
Any suggestions for a "touristing gearhead" are welcome

Old 10-20-2015, 08:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Be careful.

Old 10-20-2015, 11:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Your employee is sending you?
What a lucky boss you are.

Old 10-20-2015, 11:30 AM
Senior Chief

Sorry for the swinglish, my boss is sending me...

Old 10-20-2015, 11:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

One common piece of advice I got from visitors and Aussie natives was that Aussies like to have a few beers after work, but drinking and driving must be avoided. Australian law allows police officers to stop any driver and perform a random breath test without reason.

Old 10-21-2015, 06:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J. View Post
I know there's lost of Aussies hanging here so please help me out.
My employee is sending me to Australia for business. Going to visit Wagga Wagga 13 thru 16th November and then have a week of in Sydney and launch home at the 28th of November.
Are there any car shows, racing or other interesting stuff going on in the neighborhood at the time of my visit?
Any suggestions for a "touristing gearhead" are welcome
Wagga Wagga is not quite my "neck of the woods", having only been there twice in my life, both times for business and never stayed overnight.

It's a large provincial town which is highly diversified into agriculture and wine etc.

But WHY are you going to Wagga??? Not exactly on the tourist trail.

Interestingly, my dad did his initial flight training there (in Tiger Moths) back in 1942 prior to him going to England and into Bomber Command.

Here's a site which is a "what's on" link:http://www.waggawaggaaustralia.com.a...full-calendar/

You might also want to go and take a look at Temora. About a one hour drive from Wagga. The air museum is very interesting I believe: http://www.aviationmuseum.com.au/air...ion/index.html

I live in Melbourne so I'm not sure what is happening car wise in Sydney around that time. Not that I'd advocate you spending too much time looking at cars here, if you have the chance to visit Sydney for a week, you will find LOTS of stuff to see.

If I think of something, I'll get back to you.

The post above warning you about drinking and driving is in fact true but don't let that worry you. Just don't drink and drive and you will NEVER have a worry. Well, 2 beers in an hour will not put you over the limit but no more than that. Why risk it??? I have not been pulled over for a random breath test in years but the law states that every driver if they are checked for any reason by police, must submit to a random breath test. I got pulled over in my Pontiac a few years ago for a simple traffic violation. One brake light was out. No fine, no penalty, no warning but still had to blow in the bag. Easy. I had consumed one can of beer so no problem at all.

And welcome to our Country.

Old 10-21-2015, 07:01 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heybuck View Post

The post above warning you about drinking and driving is in fact true but don't let that worry you. Just don't drink and drive and you will NEVER have a worry. Well, 2 beers in an hour will not put you over the limit but no more than that. Why risk it??? I have not been pulled over for a random breath test in years but the law states that every driver if they are checked for any reason by police, must submit to a random breath test. I got pulled over in my Pontiac a few years ago for a simple traffic violation. One brake light was out. No fine, no penalty, no warning but still had to blow in the bag. Easy. I had consumed one can of beer so no problem at all.

And welcome to our Country.
Nothing random about it if you have to submit to a breath test for any stop lol.

Old 10-21-2015, 07:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Where is Gas455 hanging out these days. ? 😃

ECM member.
2008 Outlaw Pontiac Drag Series Champion
MANDRA
Do it now fool! Life is short.

69 Grand Prix/3163lbs / IAII 535 w/ Tiger heads by Gaydosh....9.35@ 144 so far.. through mufflers. 1.26 60'.
Going back to track with pump gas engine....
My 60 Ventura retired to street/strip duty..
Old 10-22-2015, 03:15 AM
Senior Chief

Maybe drive down the old Hume Highway south out of Sydney for something to see other than 4 lane freeway. Perhaps head back to Sydney via the Blue Mountains, that is if you are driving to Wagga 😀. Drop the last Wagga too lol, if you don't know already, its pronounced Wog ga.

Like Heybuck, I haven't been that way for eons, and even then I was just passing through. Observe speed limits, especially coming into towns.

Old 10-22-2015, 01:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You need to watch the Australian movie "Wake in Fright" before you go..........

Old 10-22-2015, 01:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

And remember, they drive on the wrong side of the road!

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...hop/?start=100
Old 10-22-2015, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Region Warrior View Post
And remember, they drive on the wrong side of the road!

I'm down in NZ now on vacation. I would dare to venture that our rental car has the cleanest windshield in the country.

Bill

Old 10-22-2015, 03:07 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

dont eat the meat pies whatever you do, unless you already eat only grass fed beef. they make you shart your pants. dont look or even ask for Fosters. it's the worst beer in Oz and peeps will tell you that.. try Bundeburg if you drink rum. get used to being called Septo, it's a term of endearment to be called a septic tank. don't call the women sheilas to their faces either. i recommend Powers red if you drink beer. and on the flight down there i highly recommend a blanket or something else to cover your head ears and eyes so you can sleep. best of luck coming back from there after only a few days. i had 30 and still felt traumatized by the length of the flights. as much as i would love to go back, that plane trip kept me away. they used to like Zippo lighters so i would say take three with you to give away. i dont think you can take them onboard now and dont fill them first either way. ever since 9/11 i just hate flying. f u bin laden! oh yeah. Rule #1 for sydney, and i mean this is rule ONE: always, ALWAYS look both ways TWICE before you step out in the street. if you don't you will look the wrong way and then step out in front of a bus! and for that same reason, dont even ask to drive in sydney. out of town, fine, but driving on the wrong side of the road is something that really takes 110% attention! other than that i have no advice for sydney, i did not like it at all after being in brisbane a week so i left the same day and went to perth. ps. i was in the Nav too when i went, but after being bumped twice from mil jets i just paid my own way. that it seems, was the only way to guarantee getting back on time. night clubs are a total blast. course, then i was only 35 too, not 60. all i can say is def check out the bridge and the opera house icons. dats bout it.

When a cat is dropped it always lands on its feet. When buttered toast is dropped it always lands with the buttered side facing down. If a piece of buttered toast was attached to the back of a cat, when dropped, the cat/buttered toast combination should hover, spinning just above the ground, as it tries unsuccessfully to resolve the inevitable conflict of non-scientific certainties.

Last edited by bullheimer; 10-22-2015 at 03:21 PM.
Old 10-22-2015, 04:09 PM
Senior Chief

Blue moutain is booked on the way to Wagga and most likley a flight out from there to Sydney. That random breath test and looking carefully when crossing is much like Sweden so it would not be a problem. Reason for going to Wagga.... Meeting with REX, the local airline.

Old 10-22-2015, 07:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default When you land....

Before you leave the airport you land at, find the news stand and go find some car magazines such as "CRUISIN", "UNIQUE CARS" and you might see a few others that take your eye.

By looking through them, you will get a fairly good idea of the Australian car scene and they will have advertisements of events which might tie in with where you are at.

Some tips......

Make SURE you bring a wide brimmed hat.

Make SURE you buy AND USE some good quality sun screen with a high + factor. "Banana Boat" is a good one.

Seeing you are from Sweden, maybe you don't use words like "Fanny" and "Thong". My advice is DON'T use them here. "Fanny" crudely relates to female genitalia. Thongs are what the rest of the world refers to as "Flip Flops"

Forget about Zippo lighters. Man, that was 50 years ago. NO-ONE uses them these days. Smoking is almost non-existant compared to say 15 years ago.

Beer.... There is no such thing as BAD beer. Just try one, then try a different one. There are zillions of beers here.

Beers (2). FORGET about drinking beer. We have some of the best wines in the world here. Spend a few lazy hours at some winery's. You will be amazed.

Enjoy

Old 10-22-2015, 10:14 PM
Senior Chief

Location: Gilroy, California, USA-Garlic Capital of the world!
Thumbs up

I was in Sydney for 5 days in 1968 on R&R from Vietnam. I'm told I had a very good time.

~Jack Handey, Deep Thoughts