Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 11-27-2015, 12:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

When a friend of mine texted me pics of the Crow, I looked at them and said to myself, "who wrecked their car?". Then, after zooming in on the pic, I saw the one thing I didn't want to see, the Judge stripes! Instantly my heart sank to the bottom of my stomach. This is so sad. I'm glad you're alright Justin. It's got to hurt something bad, to loose a car like that. Sorry about your loss. Hope to see you get better, and get back at it! Street Outlaws is one of my must see shows during the week. Now daddy Dave wrecks his car, what next? Man, this sucks!

The Crow is what has gotten me off my butt and working on my car, and building a seriously bada*s 412 for it!

520-409-7236
Koerner Racing Engines
You killed it, We build it!
520-294-5758

64 GTO, under re-construction, 412 CID, also under construction.
87 S-10 Pickup, 321,000 miles
99Monte Carlo, 293,000 miles
86 Bronco, 218,000 miles

Last edited by gtofreek; 11-27-2015 at 12:59 PM.
Old 11-27-2015, 08:09 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiL Jack View Post
Damn that's fugly
This pro mod makes that firebird look good.

Old 11-28-2015, 11:12 AM
Boost Engineer

Basically an "AERO" representation of a early Camaro body.

Kind of like a Funny Car Mustang carbon body. Says Ford but that is about the limit of the thing. One reason why I like the new METAL Super Stock Cobra Jet Body.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 11-28-2015, 11:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Is there more than one way to get "real experience racing on the street" ?

3 Generations of "Beach Boys Racing" !

Everybody knows somthin.
Nobody knows everything !

1st time on a dragstrip, 1964. Flagstart !

"Thanks for the entertainment."

"Real Indians Don't Wear Bowties"
Old 11-28-2015, 03:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Oh for craps sake, has anyone noticed he is still running a Pontiac engine?

I exchanged a few posts with Dominator on YB and he said he would love to buy Kelvin's car, when I asked if he would keep it Pontiac powered he said yes, he would put a BBC with "Pontiac" Pro Stock heads on it.

Atleast Justin is still Pontiac and showing that to a large audience.

Old 11-28-2015, 03:53 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO Dan View Post

I exchanged a few posts with Dominator on YB and he said he would love to buy Kelvin's car, when I asked if he would keep it Pontiac powered he said yes, he would put a BBC with "Pontiac" Pro Stock heads on it.

Atleast Justin is still Pontiac and showing that to a large audience.
Thank you for saying it, well put!

Old 11-28-2015, 06:10 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO Dan View Post
With the exception of Jack,i think everyone realizes that.

Quote:
Why wouldn't Dominator put a BBC in Kelvins car,after all,he has one in a Mopar.

Old 11-28-2015, 09:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandX View Post
Kelvin car was nice, and we spoke about it. I just didn't feel like I could get it light enough to be ahead of the game. Once you add in iron block, turbos, 275lb driver, the bigger 34.5 tire, 3 speed, electronics etc, it would have been pretty close to my old car.
Keep it Pontiac, big Chief, we'll all be behind you. You already know we're a tough bunch. Hope you heal quick. That was a bad wreck you survived!

T-400/PTC 4000/390's/30x9 Hoosier radial slicks,#3400
1.38 60' 6.32 @ 108 MPH at Northeast Dragway NC 5/23/15 (9th pass on new engine)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ePCu2v...ature=youtu.be

1.37 60' 6.26 @ 109 half track, 9.86 @ 136 1/4 mile, #3350 11/26/16 at Richmond Dragway (125th pass on new engine)
Old 11-29-2015, 08:57 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

If that is your new car Chief, change the nose on that thing! It would look pretty badass with a more conventional Firebird clip on it.

'78 Lemans - Drag car project
Old 11-29-2015, 09:31 PM

Justin, My family and I are huge fans of the show and are saddened by what happened to the crow. Thank God you are ok. Cars can be replaced ,people can't. I've been racing a long time and have seen this happen too many times . We look forward to seeing you back up and racing.

Old 11-29-2015, 10:58 PM
Senior Chief

glad you are ok. sorry about the loss of the crow. hope you coming out with a bird.

Old 11-30-2015, 04:00 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Green View Post
According to a person on YB, this is his new car.

Hope it's not true.

At the end of the day, Justin is carrying the Pontiac banner on the Street Outlaws program.
He was NUMBER 1 on the list with the previous car.

That being said he was not NUMBER 1 on the "KICK ALL COMERS BUTT" with The Crow.

The Crow was HEAVY, The CROW had a good suspension but not a PRO MOD type suspension (so Justin could use the power he had available), you get the idea.

So I have to say that for Justin the right thing to do to keep winning is to build a Mustang Weight type race vehicle but with a PONTIAC BODY. The Blue Car in the pictures fit that description. At some point you need to move away from the RAM AIR 4 camshaft, the cast iron RAM AIR 4 heads philosophy and move into the KRE world where the vehicle is lighter than a feather so that you can run a big number with the HP you have. You still need a proper chassis/tire deal but in reality the KRE Guys showed the way on this light as a feather deal.

So build a SAFE Pro Mod type car with the Traditional Pontiac Turbo Engine installed and kick some butt on the guys you could not beat before.

Good Luck Justin.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 11-30-2015, 06:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
At the end of the day, Justin is carrying the Pontiac banner on the Street Outlaws program.
He was NUMBER 1 on the list with the previous car.

That being said he was not NUMBER 1 on the "KICK ALL COMERS BUTT" with The Crow.

The Crow was HEAVY, The CROW had a good suspension but not a PRO MOD type suspension (so Justin could use the power he had available), you get the idea.

So I have to say that for Justin the right thing to do to keep winning is to build a Mustang Weight type race vehicle but with a PONTIAC BODY. The Blue Car in the pictures fit that description. At some point you need to move away from the RAM AIR 4 camshaft, the cast iron RAM AIR 4 heads philosophy and move into the KRE world where the vehicle is lighter than a feather so that you can run a big number with the HP you have. You still need a proper chassis/tire deal but in reality the KRE Guys showed the way on this light as a feather deal.

So build a SAFE Pro Mod type car with the Traditional Pontiac Turbo Engine installed and kick some butt on the guys you could not beat before.

Good Luck Justin.

Tom V.
I think all of the fans, new and old of the Chief, loved the Crow. An A body 70 GTO ( I know its a 72 lemans). I think we all would love to see another GTO even if it was a Pro Mod. He has been at that car for so long, it's like killing off the main character of a hit show. It's like the Lone Ranger with out Silver!!!!!! LOL

Old 11-30-2015, 07:23 PM
Boost Engineer

Problem is the PRO MOD 70 GTO of Marty Palbykin (CM double tube chassis) was HEAVY too by today's standards. It has run very well in Arizona but is still a heavy car (with a lot of carbon fiber on it).

Tom V.

Old 11-30-2015, 11:09 PM

Sent you a link to 1970 Lemans that looks solid & not too far from you to your shop page! You will be back!

Old 12-01-2015, 03:37 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Quote:
... the KRE Guys showed the way on this light as a feather deal...
Actually, a very long time ago Mickey Thompson "showed the way" on that deal. The chassis he used to take Top Eliminator at the '62 Nationals (with the 432 c.i. aluminum Pontiac hemi) was remarkable. After building it of thin-wall (.062"?) round tubing he had the complete frame heat-treated for sufficient strength. He had to add 90# of lead to the front to make the 1,100# minimum dragster weight at the time!

Old 12-01-2015, 08:33 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Gifford View Post
Actually, a very long time ago Mickey Thompson "showed the way" on that deal. The chassis he used to take Top Eliminator at the '62 Nationals (with the 432 c.i. aluminum Pontiac hemi) was remarkable. After building it of thin-wall (.062"?) round tubing he had the complete frame heat-treated for sufficient strength. He had to add 90# of lead to the front to make the 1,100# minimum dragster weight at the time!
Mickey, KRE SMART are Racers.........lighter is always BETTER!

GTO George

Old 12-01-2015, 08:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

This 68 wasn't John Welter's 68 is it?
(never heard anything after Norwalk)

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 12-01-2015, 07:34 PM
Boost Engineer

Very True Jack, But Mickey was probably not the first to do a light weight race car, (to need less HP to run a quick number).

The KRE Guys are running dragsters for a reason, a featherweight Pro Stock car for a reason. Less HP need to be made to run a number.

Dragging an extra 500 pounds down the track/(road) vs the guy on the other side just means you need a bunch more HP to be close.

Same deal with a Belt car vs a Turbo car. Both can make great amounts of HP with the right fuel. The deal is the Turbo will use some of the exhaust energy to add power (remember about 30% drives the crank and pistons, 30% goes out the exhaust, and 30% goes into the cooling system (water or air cooled).

The Belt guy has to take it off the crank so he is subtracting HP vs adding to the HP with extra energy.

But if your deal makes 9,000 HP on Nitro, the belt hp can be worked around.

Tom V.

Old 12-01-2015, 08:21 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Very True Jack, But Mickey was probably not the first to do a light weight race car, (to need less HP to run a quick number).

The KRE Guys are running dragsters for a reason, a featherweight Pro Stock car for a reason. Less HP need to be made to run a number.

Tom V.

Your an Idiot............Jeff has ALWAYS ran a Dragster (even when he was Bracket Racing), this isn't something he just started to do. He likes racing Dragsters just like I like racing a Door Cars, some racers prefer racing Motorcycles. Light is smart!! Marks car wasn't a Pro stock Car.......... is it light, probably........like I said SMART!

GTO George