Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 12-06-2015, 06:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Hey Qjet Gurus! Chevy Qjet on Pontiac? Any issues?

I have a line on a like new Jet Stage 2 750 CFM Qjet from one of my buddies. Other than the need for a 90 elbow for the fuel line, is there any other complication installing one of these on a Pontiac? I have already converted my throttle cable over to the Chevy ball-socket style end. It is factory-calibrated for a BBC so do you think any jet/metering rod changes would be necessary? Choke is a divorced style that I would convert to electric since I have no heat riser provision on my intake.

Let me know what you think.

455 +,040, 6X8 Heads, Procomp dual plane, headers, Crane 234/242@.050 duration & .488/.501" Lift cam. Hughes GM25 Convertor, 3.55 gears.

Old 12-06-2015, 06:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I can't see any problem with it. If it is a GOOD Q-jet, and properly tuned for your car, the side inlet should not make any difference in performance. There are plenty of 10 sec Chevy Stockers and strong running street cars, using a side inlet Q-jet. And all the Edelbrock Q-jets had a side inlet.

So, as long as your throttle linkage will open the butterflies fully, it should work just fine. Just won't look like a Pontiac carb.

Last edited by ponyakr; 12-06-2015 at 07:04 PM.
Old 12-06-2015, 07:31 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeighborsComplaint View Post
Choke is a divorced style that I would convert to electric since I have no heat riser provision on my intake.
Divorced choke, or hot air choke? The hot air choke can easily be converted to electric, the divorced style will be more difficult, if not impossible.

God knows where I'm goin' to, but me... I don't care."
Old 12-06-2015, 07:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just make sure the throttle bracket allows the throttle blades to fully open when the throttle pedal is all the way down.

Old 12-06-2015, 09:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have to ask!With all the issues you have had by trying to save a buck dont you think it would be wise to do the right thing the first time?Get a pontiac carb where everything works as designed?Just saying!Tom

Old 12-06-2015, 09:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

"...The hot air choke can easily be converted to electric, the divorced style will be more difficult, if not impossible."

I've never tried to rig up an electric choke on an early Q-jet, but they do sell kits that are supposed to do it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pontiac-Elec...item35e5ba387b

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pontiac-Elec...item35e5b870a5

But, if your intake has no exhaust heat crossover, it may take some considerable riggin, as the choke coil must have something to bolt to.

Old 12-06-2015, 11:31 PM

Before install I would at least take off the air horn and see what metering rods and jets it has in it.

Old 12-07-2015, 02:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
I have to ask!With all the issues you have had by trying to save a buck dont you think it would be wise to do the right thing the first time?Get a pontiac carb where everything works as designed?Just saying!Tom
Thank you sir, may I have another.

Old 12-07-2015, 09:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Check the second line in my signature!

Jon.

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
Old 12-07-2015, 03:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

I'm with Jon on this deal. The best carb you could start with would be a nasty unmolested unit from whatever make, that will allow the linkage to properly work, and fit the intake w/o vacuum leaks, and a use-able choke of some kind.

THEN call Cliff or Jon and get the parts you need. The Jet carb still needs specific tuning for your specific engine/car....

IF, IF you are buying it cheap, and have little to lose by trying it, go for it, I hope it might......work....

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 12-07-2015, 03:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sure, in a perfect world you would get the proper part # for your engine.....but since I didn't have that, I used the one that was on the car when I got it, (a Buick carb) got an electric choke assy, modified the carb to fit, tweaked it up with info from Cliff's book, and it's good to go.

I figured at least it would be a good test bed for the trial mods. Worked out. Next I'm going to get a Pontiac carb and work it.

George

Old 12-07-2015, 05:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbking View Post
Check the second line in my signature!

Jon.
Outstanding!

Old 12-07-2015, 05:25 PM

Be warned that some year Buick/Olds/Pont. big block Q-jets are 800 cfms.

Old 12-07-2015, 06:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The price was definitely right and worth the risk but it turns out to be a divorced choke model, so it's a no-go. It was cheap enough to pique my interest.

Old 12-07-2015, 08:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

I've seen someone that sells an electric divorced choke conversion kit. Not sure if it could be made to function on a Pontiac. I'm not a computer whiz, google on, maybe you can find it.

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 12-08-2015, 12:45 AM
Senior Chief

I have a Chevy Qjet on my Lemans. Bought a rebuild kit from Cliff along with jets/rods that he recommended and an electric choke and his book. No problems with it.

Old 12-08-2015, 02:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
The price was definitely right and worth the risk but it turns out to be a divorced choke model, so it's a no-go. It was cheap enough to pique my interest.
Pontiyacker posted the solution to the divorced choke in reply #6. He put up links to eBay for electric choke conversions for divorced choke q-jets.

Even so, I'd rather have a later q-jet with the hot air choke on it, which can work well as it is, or it's easy to swap on an electric choke if you like.

Old 12-08-2015, 03:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand73Am View Post
Pontiyacker posted the solution to the divorced choke in reply #6. He put up links to eBay for electric choke conversions for divorced choke q-jets.

Even so, I'd rather have a later q-jet with the hot air choke on it, which can work well as it is, or it's easy to swap on an electric choke if you like.
Yes, I saw those kits. My intake has no heat riser provision so the only way to mount the divorced electric choke to the intake would be surface mounted to the nearest intake bolt. That creates a whole other group of issues with the linkage and possibly not enough heat to fully actuate the thermostatic spring to close the choke.

Had the carb been a heat stove style, I would have bought it.

I currently run 770 Holley Street Avenger w. electric choke and was looking for a cheap way to test the Qjet waters towards improved gas mileage and throttle response.

Old 12-09-2015, 04:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I got an electric choke kit for my divorced choke 71 Q-Jet. Works fine. Got it from Pontiac Years before the buyout.

Sam

Sam Agnew

Where you come from is gone; where you thought you were going to, weren't never there; and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.
Ministry - Jesus Built My Hotrod
Old 12-11-2015, 02:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by glhs#116 View Post
I got an electric choke kit for my divorced choke 71 Q-Jet. Works fine. Got it from Pontiac Years before the buyout.

Sam
Did it mount on your intake or directly on the carb?