Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 01-08-2016, 11:39 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Edelbrock pro ports

What happen to the pro port. No news from Butler. No real talk on this forum about people/company's selling them.

Old 01-09-2016, 12:47 AM
Suspended

I heard they sold 2 sets, one of sets were sold for book ends! LOL!

GTO George

Old 01-09-2016, 12:58 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

That's funny. But it's been like 2 years since they came out and butler has not developed any ready to run heads. PS I was just on there site and noticed I'm not in the market for them

Old 01-09-2016, 01:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

They have no plans to cast any more 11 degree pro ports. Sales were far less then anticipated. I do know where the last set went .

Old 01-09-2016, 02:32 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Jim Robertson was working on a pair- anybody know what became of those?

Old 01-09-2016, 07:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The only set I saw on running motor that got press was in the engine masters contest of like 3 years ago or something.

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 01-09-2016, 08:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Not sure of valve inclination but Mike voycey has a pretty impressive combo out for a yr or so.
Plus wreck master and maybe Kinsler have theirs getting close too.

Old 01-09-2016, 10:09 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Smile Pro Ports

Jim Robertson did a set of 11 degree heads for me. Outstanding workmanship. Our 505 made 942@7350rpm. However we had some issues with the bottom end. Rod side clearances too tight. ( Aluminum Rods ) Cam tunnel had 50mm roller bearings,and the cam plate was worn pretty good due to lack of oil feed to the plate. Scott Sims is working on a Torrington deal for me. My converter was too tight. Block hone finish was bad. Leak down was 8-30 percent. Hopefully the motor will be much better with the issues fixed. Heads flowed 455@800 lift.

Old 01-09-2016, 10:44 AM
Senior Chief

Question

Why would one use these heads vs. High Ports or Tigers? What is the advantage?

Old 01-09-2016, 11:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I think you hit the nail right on the head, no pun intended. Talked to Rick Roberts quite a while at Edelbrock at the PRI show. Mr. Langer is correct, very slow sales and lack of buy-in by the niche engine builders with CNC capability has really hurt those heads. They could go away entirely in a year or two and then Edelbrock could point their finger and say, "I told you so" when the subject of a Pontiac race head comes up. I don't think that's a fair assessment however. I just think Edelbrock was too cautious and took way too long to make these heads, by 6-8 years. There was a period in time when these heads could have really filled a void. When all you could get was the Performer RPM and the Kauffman D port, that's when the Pro-Port needed to hit the market. Now with the Tigers, the various other Kauffman heads, the CV1, DCI, McCarty, even the great performing Wenzlers, not to mention any number of billet heads available like the Visners, the market is finally saturated. When you ask for years for a race head and nothing happens the small players finally stepped-up in a big way deserve the payoff they are getting. Timing is everything.

Old 01-09-2016, 11:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I could be wrong. But I think there could have been more interest if the head could be bought in a ready to use format. Maybe something in a 380-400 cfm port out of the box.

Old 01-09-2016, 11:59 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
I think you hit the nail right on the head, no pun intended. Talked to Rick Roberts quite a while at Edelbrock at the PRI show. Mr. Langer is correct, very slow sales and lack of buy-in by the niche engine builders with CNC capability has really hurt those heads. They could go away entirely in a year or two and then Edelbrock could point their finger and say, "I told you so" when the subject of a Pontiac race head comes up. I don't think that's a fair assessment however. I just think Edelbrock was too cautious and took way too long to make these heads, by 6-8 years. There was a period in time when these heads could have really filled a void. When all you could get was the Performer RPM and the Kauffman D port, that's when the Pro-Port needed to hit the market. Now with the Tigers, the various other Kauffman heads, the CV1, DCI, McCarty, even the great performing Wenzlers, not to mention any number of billet heads available like the Visners, the market is finally saturated. When you ask for years for a race head and nothing happens the small players finally stepped-up in a big way deserve the payoff they are getting. Timing is everything.

As always Edelbrock is sucking hind tit!!

GTO George

Old 01-09-2016, 12:10 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Smile

I certainly agree on an out of the box high flowing head. My pro ports were a challenge to get them where they are. Not to Mention $$$. Edelbrock certainly missed the boat with their late arrival on these castings. Kauffmans high ports are a good bang for the buck.

Old 01-09-2016, 12:29 PM
Boost Engineer

A set of Kauffman High Port Heads (done by Dave B at SD Performance using his CNC software) are worth every penny spent vs the E "Pro Ports" that went nowhere.

I think that all of the rework required that Marcella did on his "Pro Port" exercise and documented on the board did not help the average potential "Pro Port" customer who was looking to go down that road.

The E company missed the boat on that deal.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 01-09-2016, 05:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

When it takes E-brock 5 damn months to **** a pair of castings its no wonder there market share sucks

Old 01-09-2016, 05:41 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I don't know who designed the Pro port,maybe they should of had a professional head porter look at there design,before production? Not sure if they did or not.
It seems that John marcella had some issues around the spark plug,as well as other areas,from what i read on the forum.

Old 01-09-2016, 08:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by potentpontiac View Post
Jim Robertson did a set of 11 degree heads for me. Outstanding workmanship. Our 505 made 942@7350rpm. However we had some issues with the bottom end. Rod side clearances too tight. ( Aluminum Rods ) Cam tunnel had 50mm roller bearings,and the cam plate was worn pretty good due to lack of oil feed to the plate. Scott Sims is working on a Torrington deal for me. My converter was too tight. Block hone finish was bad. Leak down was 8-30 percent. Hopefully the motor will be much better with the issues fixed. Heads flowed 455@800 lift.
What did you start out with for side clearance as I'm using Aluminum Rods
on my 440 motor. Thanks for any info. I'm at 23 Thousents clearance.

GT.

Old 01-09-2016, 10:06 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Side clearance was at 014 thou. Way too tight. I did not do the short block. We took it apart in September and found the problem. 020 minimum is a good starting point. Hope this helps. My 461 that I built with BME rods had 023 clearance. No issues at all.

Old 01-09-2016, 10:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticmissle View Post
Not sure of valve inclination but Mike voycey has a pretty impressive combo out for a yr or so.
Plus wreck master and maybe Kinsler have theirs getting close too.
no^^^. No^^^

7.940@170.84. 3460#s
Old 01-09-2016, 10:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOGEORGE View Post
As always Edelbrock is sucking hind tit!!

GTO George
Is it difficult for you not to be a douche?

7.940@170.84. 3460#s