Old 01-31-2016, 01:09 AM

Default 69 GTO Dash Harness

Guys, can anyone tell me what the physical difference is between a warning light harness and a gauge harness...
I am replacing the instrument panel in my 69 and it had warning lights and I am going to put a gauge setup in it. Do i have to replace the harness?? Both the instrument panels have the same hookup (same amount of wires) on the back of the panel.

Old 01-31-2016, 01:11 PM
Senior Chief

Hopefully this helps:
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...+lights+gauges

Old 01-31-2016, 02:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The link above is a great start. I want to add to it. When converting an old dash harness to put in rally gauges.

One think I see a lot of people forget: As a red warning lamp harness the temperature (dark green) wire runs from the back of the cluster to the temperature overheat switch. On non-gauge cars only; in-between the gauge and the sender the dark green wire forks over to the ignition switch and then doubles back. Beginning in 1969 on all GM cars the ignition switch is bolted onto the top of your steering column up underneath the dash.

You need to get to the ignition switch (drop the column), un-plug the master plug and remove the twin dark green wire(s) from that large plug. DO NOT CUT THE GREEN WIRE(S)!!! Simply unplug the connector and remove the brass spade which has attached to it TWO dark green wires.

After removal you need to just tape over the brass leaving the 2 dark green wires intact. Plug your master ignition switch back in and bolt the column back up.

Old 02-02-2016, 12:56 AM

Thanks You!!