THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 02-02-2016, 12:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Still do my own. Having a lift makes it a lot easier. Crawling around on a creeper would be a real pain.

Boltbuster: you can come over and use my lift if you need to.

George

Old 02-02-2016, 12:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

around me (rural) one would be astounded at some really nice private shops out in the woods on acreage with their house. No sign, top level street rod, modded muscle, and resto muscle come and going. Referral basically only and they pick what they work on, meaning if you have a cool car, great.... like I said, ask at car show in your area who does their work.... once you hit a good network of honest car people (I have) the mechanic knows a tranny guy knows an engine builder knows a paint guy... so yes you pay, but you don't have to go to big sign overhead places either.... there are still honest folk out there... there is stuff I do and stuff I don't do so I am in the middle on farm out.

Old 02-02-2016, 02:15 PM
Senior Chief

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by george kujanski View Post
Still do my own. Having a lift makes it a lot easier. Crawling around on a creeper would be a real pain.

Boltbuster: you can come over and use my lift if you need to.

George
Thanks for the offer, George. I'll keep that in mind when the weather turns.
Kerm

Old 02-02-2016, 02:57 PM

I do all my own work with my dad and brother sometimes. My dad was a mechanic, and I am ase certified as he was, even though to me it's just a piece of paper lol. I work on all my cars myself, don't know how people afford to pay the ridiculous prices lol. I charge a lot less than the shops, that's for sure....

Old 02-02-2016, 03:01 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

yeah good info to know.anyone recommend a good mechanic/shop in the SE michigan area?

Old 02-02-2016, 05:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I still do most of my work on both street car and race car.
Jack Gaydosh does my motors and have a tranny guy.
Know when to farm out.
As you get older it's using your head and not weak old muscles..
I'm 74 and still do most of my work...just slower than before..and know when to ask for help...most of the time.
By all means get a lift if you can..makes life much easier and SAFER!!!

ECM member.
2008 Outlaw Pontiac Drag Series Champion
MANDRA
Do it now fool! Life is short.

69 Grand Prix/3163lbs / IAII 535 w/ Tiger heads by Gaydosh....9.35@ 144 so far.. through mufflers. 1.26 60'.
Going back to track with pump gas engine....
My 60 Ventura retired to street/strip duty..
Old 02-02-2016, 07:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Haven't used them, but we have Tri-Power Automotive in Libertyville, IL. they work on all makes, but are Pontiac guys. I'm sure there are other small shops that don't advertise.

Old 02-03-2016, 09:54 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I do all my own work because I am too picky to let anyone else work on my Pontiac. This forum, along with some very talented friends and acquaintences, provide me everything I need to keep it on the road. Special thanks go out to Calvin Hill and Cliff Ruggles.

69 Judge convertible........clone! Carousel red, parchment, hideaways, TH400, 10" Continental 3200 stall, 12 bolt with 3.42, 469 c.i. with ported #48's, ported cast iron intake, Cliff's Q-Jet and ported 2-1/2" Ram Air manifolds.
Old 02-03-2016, 11:24 AM
Senior Chief

I needed someone to install the poly bushing in my upper and lower rear control arms. I went to 5 different shops around here and no one would do it. I ended up buying a press from Harbor Frt and did it myself in about an hour.
I don't understand the though process of some people. If one of those shops would have tackled the job they would have gotten all my business.

Old 02-03-2016, 11:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Where I'm at we have a handful or reputable hotrod shops. Going to your local car shows and asking around it the best way to find them.

Old 02-03-2016, 01:53 PM
Senior Chief

I have tried some local shops,not happy at all with their work! I hate paying good money for sloppy work. last individual that worked on it screwed it up bad,put my car in a ditch and damaged a new clutch,said he was testing ,but the black marks around his house said otherwise. Just glad I got it back in 1 piece! Of course he has no money or anything else for that matter,so sueing him would be a waste of time. I thought I could trust him,my bad

Old 02-03-2016, 01:58 PM

The day I can no longer do my own work on my Pontiac, is the day I will put it up for sale.