Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 05-09-2016, 12:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by twooldgoats View Post
With both my IAII blocks and an All-Pontiac starter, I had to use over 1/2" stack of shims! Works great, though. I just kept adding shims until I got the right clearances at the flexplate. I've been running it this way for eight years or so. I even needed longer starter mount bolts.

Jim
------------------------------------------------------

.500" isn't a shim. Its a spacer.

Old 05-09-2016, 12:48 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

There are a lot of variables when shimming starters. For example, I recently swapped flexplates. It was the same flexplate as before, from the same company, same part #, same plate, same engine, and the same starter. After the change, a couple shims had to come out to get the mesh correct.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mikes455Wagon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2016, 01:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
The starter had "top" written on it so unless you can't read, pretty hard to put on upside down.

I removed the support then was able to shim and measure out the pinion clearance. I ended up having .140" worth of shims to get .020 of clearance. Unfortunately I have to now pull the trans to replace the flex plate since I lost teeth on the ring gear. Sucks.
Ouch. I feel for ya man. I haven't heard any bad chit on TCI flexplates !?!
I've been through several pinion gears without screwing up the TCI flexplate.
Replacing flexplate sucks. Sorry 'bout that.

ECM member.
2008 Outlaw Pontiac Drag Series Champion
MANDRA
Do it now fool! Life is short.

69 Grand Prix/3163lbs / IAII 535 w/ Tiger heads by Gaydosh....9.35@ 144 so far.. through mufflers. 1.26 60'.
Going back to track with pump gas engine....
My 60 Ventura retired to street/strip duty..
The Following User Says Thank You to 60man For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2016, 02:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom McQueen View Post
------------------------------------------------------

.500" isn't a shim. Its a spacer.
Agreed. I had to buy a bunch of the shims at O'Rielly Auto Parts. It wasn't hard after I got past the counter clerk asking "What make and model is it for?" The strange thing is it took the exact number of shims for both IAII blocks. I kept the stack of shims from my N.A. block and installed them on my super-charged engine and the clearances checked out just fine. Go figure.

Jim

****'63 Tempest, 475" IAII, Wenzler Super Chief heads, converted to blown alcohol, Birdcatcher, Littlefield 10-71 high helix. Best pass to date: 7.67 @ 181.59 (1/4 mi.), 4.95 @ 143.67 (1/8 mi.), 1.18 (60 ft)

7.75 @ 178 pass:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iez3...ature=youtu.be

First seven second pass(7.98): https://wwwoutube.com/watch?v=DK17...ature=youtu.be

Thanks to Paul Carter @ Koerner Racing Engines

The Following User Says Thank You to twooldgoats For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2016, 04:52 AM

I ran into this yesterday. Stock 455 block, Butler flex plate with IMI starter. I'm at .380" of shims and it still needs a little bit more. I used all I had in the shop so I'll get more today. First time I've ever had this issue.

The Following User Says Thank You to Fast 69 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2016, 09:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast 69 View Post
I ran into this yesterday. Stock 455 block, Butler flex plate with IMI starter. I'm at .380" of shims and it still needs a little bit more. I used all I had in the shop so I'll get more today. First time I've ever had this issue.
It will definitely throw you for a loop! Glad to see others are or had this issue. Not that its a good thing but just something else to be aware off when switching starters or flexplates. Things you take for granted often come back to bite you in the arse.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rob B For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2016, 01:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast 69 View Post
I have the same problem w/stock block 455. When it had a stock starter and flywheel I had to use a bunch of shims. Never measured how much but would guess close to .250.
I recently put a TCI flexplate and Robbmc starter in and had to use the same # of shims.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bruce Meyer For This Useful Post: