Old 05-05-2016, 12:27 AM

Default Door glass assembly

Three questions:

Even though I read the Fisher body manual instructions, I've not sure of the proper assembly order to install the door glass. Is it:

1) beltline molding
2) Door glass (loose in door)
2) window weatherstrip & rear channel extension
3) vent window
4) outer felt
5) inner felt
6) door glass install into track & adjustment

Also, one of my windows doesn't have the bottom track bracket installed. One does, so I took that following measurements (numbered 1 & 2). Do these seem correct?

Last, the track that isn't installed doesn't have whatever gasket that apparently came stock. Does anyone know what would I should use & if it requires any adhesive? (See #3 on the pic).

Thanks.

Old 05-15-2016, 03:03 PM

Got the passenger side door window in and used this order so far:

1) rear door channel extension & weather stripping
2) Door window lowered in and canted to go on fender side roller, then straightened to slide on quarter side roller.
3) beltline molding (make sure screw is in that goes behind vent window & one screw in back to hold in place)
4) Vent window with weatherstripping

Haven't put on the felts yet because I haven't figured out the proper window alignment procedure for a post car. Searched this & the body tech forums, but no luck. Any tips?

For the driver's side window lower track I've read that it uses some kind of butyl tape?

Old 05-18-2016, 12:20 AM

Well, finally figured out why the window wouldn't align correctly when I rolled it up. It was canted to the rear. Though the Fisher body manual didn't specifically call out the A body "07" (i.e. post) adjustment, I got the idea from the B-11 section on page 44. Once I played with that everything worked out fine. The spacer I added behind the felts allow the aftermarket felts to sweep the glass, and I also added a lower stop so the window wouldn't roll down lower than flush with the top of the door.

Eventually I should try to replace/fix the scratched side glass I have. Ugh...

Old 05-18-2016, 09:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You need to find a window stop. Here is what they look like.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	window stop.PNG
Views:	77
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	428659  

1966 GTO Post Coupe, 467ci. N/A Pump gas, best 1/4 11.6 118mph
1966 GTO Post Coupe, "The Bright Idea" 535ci. N/A Pump gas, best 1/4 9.58 141mph
Old 05-18-2016, 05:03 PM

Thanks for the pic. I'll dig through the garage, but I don't think I have that part, unfortunately. Probably just use the bolt assembly for now, and replace it down the road.

Old 06-05-2016, 06:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Stick, who did you purchase your felts from? Did they fit well or did it take massaging to make them fit. I need to eventually replace mine and looking for a good vendor. My car is a convertible though. I have read threads where folks had nothing but trouble getting their felts to fit and function properly.
Thanks.

2006 GTO Phantom Black 6spd.
1972 Formula 455HO Ram Air.
1976 LE Trans Am 50th Anniversary Edition with T top.
1976 Formula 350.
1977 Grand Prix Model J 350.
1978 Trans am 400 Pontiac.
1979 Trans am 403 Olds.
1968 Olds 442.
1971 TR6.
Old 06-05-2016, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles bledsoe View Post
Stick, who did you purchase your felts from? Did they fit well or did it take massaging to make them fit.
I bought my felts from Ames, but I experienced the same thing that many did in that they aren't as thick as the originals. My tattered originals had a half round plastic bead beneath the felt, while the new pieces have just the felt over the metal channel. This made the new pieces not sweep the glass.

I ended up doing some cutting to the new felt pieces and adding a black plastic spacer between them and the door beltline molding to get them to sweep the glass (had to drill a few new holes to mount them too). It was a lot of fit & refit before I got them right. I talked about it a little at the end of this thread:

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=785270

However, I went to a car show this weekend and was looking at a '66 Chevelle hardtop and saw his felts looked like they had the right thickness (isn't it funny what you look at when you have a project of your own happening?). He said he bought them recently from Soft Seal. That might be a better option, though since I already have both 1/4's, and the passenger side done, I'll probably keep with what I've been doing for the driver's door.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you need any more info.

The Following User Says Thank You to Stick For This Useful Post: