SOLD Pontiacs The cars in here have already been sold. The topics will be kept for a few months for referance.

Old 06-14-2016, 06:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 1970 Formula 400

1970 Firebird Formula 400, Palomino Copper with deluxe brown interior. Optioned as follows according to the PHS:

Four speed
Safe-t-track (positraction)
power steering
power (disc) brakes
rally gauges with tach (tic-tock-tach)
Formula steering wheel
custom trim (deluxe interior)
deluxe seatbelts
pushbutton am radio (missing)
rear seat speaker
soft ray glass (all)
decor moldings (roof rail/wheel opening/belt moldings)
Rally II wheels

ENGINE:

When I purchased the car last August it had an incorrect 400 engine with a dead cylinder. I purchased a correct, 1970 Firebird 400, manual transmission engine (WT code), which is dated perfectly to the car. I was told the engine ran good and had previously been rebuilt, but the seller did not know how many miles were on the rebuild. I pulled the oil pan and timing cover to inspect the engine. The cylinders had good cross-hatch and the inside of the engine was clean. Additionally, the timing chain was a double roller. All of these things indicated to me that the engine had in fact been rebuilt at one time. I was told the cam was "radical" so I purchased and installed a new Mellings cam and lifters (equivalent to the Pontiac “068” grind used in the Ram Air and HO engines). I installed new gaskets on the oil pan, timing cover, water pump, valley pan, and intake manifold. The engine has the correct “#12" heads and (068) intake manifold. I installed original Ram Air/HO exhaust manifolds (not reproductions) which I sandblasted and coated with hi-temp manifold paint. I used a Pontiac HEI distributor but an original 1111176 distributor comes with the car.

I installed a new M & H engine wire harness, which was custom made for use with ram air exhaust manifolds and the correct plug-ins for the HEI. I installed new positive and negative battery cables (spring clamp) for a ram air car (so they clear the manifolds).

TRAMSMISSION:

The original muncie M20 wide ratio four speed is still in the car (with matching VIN). It was in fairly good shape but I had it rebuilt with new bearings, brass and seals/gaskets. I resurfaced the flywheel, replaced the clutch, pressure plate, release bearing, and pilot bushing.

The car had an aftermarket shifter so I replaced it with a correct, hurst shifter and linkage out of a 1970 Trans Am. This included the often missing back drive linkage, (so the shifter must be in reverse in order to get the ignition key out). I installed new upper and lower shifter seals.

REAR END:

The original 12-bolt posi is still in the car; however, the previous owner changed the gears from 3.55 to 3.31’s. He told me he used GM gears. I installed a new rear u-joint because the existing one was loose.

COOLING SYSTEM:

I installed a new water pump (with cast impeller), all new hoses, new drive belts, and a new aftermarket radiator. Note: the cooling fan is an aftermarket one that was on the car when I got, it but works well.

FUEL SYSTEM:

I removed the fuel tank and replaced all the rubber fuel lines on the car. I used the existing fuel pump and it works fine. I sent the correct 7040563 quadrajet carb out to be professionally rebuilt and upgraded for modern fuels. This included re-bushing the throttle shaft and sealing the well plugs. The car has the correct dual snorkel air cleaner with chrome lid which was standard on the 1970 Formula 400 engines. The evap system (California cars) is still present and hooked up.

RIMS:

The car had old mags on it when I bought it so I sourced a correct set of 14x7 JS code rally II’s, which would have been on the car when delivered new. I had the rims professionally sandblasted and epoxy premiered. I then restored the rims using Eastwood’s rally wheel paint products and sealed the rims with Eastwood’s diamond (satin) clear coat. I used the 215x70x14 Radial T/A’s that came with the car. I have the beauty rings for the wheels but they are not in very good shape so I left them off, but they will come with the car.

BRAKES:

The car came optioned with power disc brakes. I replaced the front brake pads and repacked the front wheel bearings, replacing the grease seals at the same time.

TRUNK:

The trunk floor had some small holes which I repaired with POR-15. I then repainted the trunk floor using Eastwood's trunk splatter paint. The trunk floor is solid, and the original trunk mat (part of the deluxe interior option) is still present and in decent shape. The original spare rim with a Firestone Wide Oval tire is still in the trunk, as is the original bumper jack and correct (1970 only) short lug wrench.

BODY:

The car has all it’s original body panels, including the original one-year-only Formula hood and core support. There are no broken vents or corners on the hood. The correct 524 and 525 hood hinges are in place and the car still has the original correct early style front fenders. The paint on the car is in bad shape. It appears to be either the original lacquer paint or a very old repaint. Although the car is all one color, the paint is cracked badly, especially on the top areas (roof/hood/deck lid). However, the body on this car is rock solid, and will not require any panel replacement in the event the purchaser wants to have the car painted. FYI, I am in awe of some of the talents of some of the people on this board when it comes to body repair and panel replacement. That said, if you really like to cut, fabricate, and weld, this is not the project for you, because this is a very solid car. I have attached a link to my photo bucket account with lots of pictures of the car which will show how solid it it.

The car still has it’s original blue and yellow California license plates (I have them both). It is currently registered and has a clear California title in my name. The car is located in Folsom CA.

I'm into the car 13.5K, so that is my asking price. Sorry, no trades. If interested, please do not PM me since my mailbox is always mostly full anyway. Please email me directly at eaglesan13@comcast.net with any questions, and please leave a phone number if you want to talk and I will give you a call.

Chris

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1La...ature=youtu.be

http://s57.photobucket.com/user/eagl...tart=20&page=1

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=777861
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1307.jpg
Views:	477
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	430773   Click image for larger version

Name:	Interior 2.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	430775   Click image for larger version

Name:	Formula wheel.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	430776   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1939.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	430777   Click image for larger version

Name:	PHS.noVIN.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	430778  

Old 06-14-2016, 07:37 PM

I know this car and if I didnt have my 73 TA it would already be here.

Old 06-14-2016, 09:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Very nice Chris! GLWS!

Lyn.

'72 Lemans 2dr. 20,000 mile car [sold]
'73 Grandville backhalfed Drag Car
'73 Grand Am 400 4-speed
'74 Lemans Sport Coupe-4800 original miles
Old 06-15-2016, 08:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Very cool, love the custom paint touches!

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 06-15-2016, 08:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Such a neat car!

70 Formula RA III / M21 / Lucerne Blue / Bright Blue
Old 06-16-2016, 06:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Why is my wallet always empty when these come along (because I'm married and can only afford one at a time) and Divorce is expensive...
I love the color combo and the originality of this car! Best of luck!

Old 06-17-2016, 12:32 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Chris,

I wish I had the room for it! Purchased too many cars recently (ie...73 ta Brewster green & 1970 ta Lucy blue).

Love the color as you know.

Good luck with the sale. Shouldn't hang around for very long.

Jim

Old 06-19-2016, 09:37 PM

Very well written ad, and a great looking car......glws

67 GTO "survivor"
A few 70 Buick GS's....
87 Buick Turbo T
Athens, Ohio
Old 06-25-2016, 06:59 PM

Sold