Old 07-17-2016, 07:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Dangling visors

Hi All,

I've been battling my visors for quite some time. They get loose and start flopping around and I tighten 'em back up. They flop, I tighten. It's been going on for a while, but I think I've about tightened them as much as I could without destroying the clamping part of the mechanism. Do any of you have ideas on how to solve this problem once and for all?
The rod inside the visor itself is fine. It's not loose inside the visor. This is all due to failure at the clamping area. I DO have a few spare visor mounts, but no sense using them until I can learn or be told the best way to prevent this annoying floppage.
I was fine last year, but hardtop cruising this year has awakened the beast and once again, both visors just refuse to stay up. I'd love to know what others have done.

Thanks!

Kevin

Old 07-17-2016, 08:26 PM

Do you have the little plastic bushings in the mount?

Old 07-17-2016, 08:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinindian68 View Post
Do you have the little plastic bushings in the mount?
Well, I'll be darned... I've never seen those before.
I forgot to mention, I have a 62 GP. Are those things a certain year or a bunch of years?
They are definitely not in the visors I have.

Is this something Ames sells?

Kevin

Old 07-17-2016, 09:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I checked Ames,
Looks like those sleeve things are 65 up.
Ames also sells the entire 62 visor mount assembly. Has a pic showing the kit and there's a plastic sleeve in the pic, but doesn't look like they offer it separately. I might give that 65 up sleeve a try and see it can fit.

Thanks Tinindian68!

Last edited by mviker; 07-17-2016 at 09:32 PM.
Old 07-18-2016, 08:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I think what happens is the threads get worn. The brackets are not the best metal in the world. I would try using some Loc-tite on the threads when you tighten the next time. I think I also applied the plastic deals on my '63 though they were not made for it. The main thing I found was the machine screws kept loosening up.

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
66 Bonneville 2d HT - In perpetual progress
Old 07-18-2016, 09:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadhead View Post
I think what happens is the threads get worn. The brackets are not the best metal in the world. I would try using some Loc-tite on the threads when you tighten the next time. I think I also applied the plastic deals on my '63 though they were not made for it. The main thing I found was the machine screws kept loosening up.
Bruce!

I replaced the screws with stainless ones that were offered by PY long ago. Seemed to help. The trouble now is not the screws. Yes, the brackets are just pot metal from what I can tell. Very easy to damage. I grabbed a bunch of brackets at Leon's one time and managed to kill a couple in the process. I think what happens is the pot metal "stretches" over time, making it near impossible eventually to tighten any more. I think I will try the sleeves and maybe a dab of loc-tite as you mentioned to see if that helps. Thanks for the idea!

Kevin

Old 07-18-2016, 09:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If 1962 is like 1961 there are no bushings, just pot metal brackets that get worn (and in bad cases will actually crack.) I've used a piece of thin shim stock wrapped around the shaft of the visor to tighten them up. Even a piece of aluminum cut from a pop can may be enough to do the trick.

Old 07-18-2016, 09:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Just a not of caution, the sleeves i used for my repop visors was too much for the Support (also a repop) and i made the rookie mistake of trying to pry open the "cast" bracket. Oops, down $50. I knew it was gonna happen too! why did i keep going?! On the second one i cut to sleeve enough to fit the visor rod in. Just a word of caution.

My wife says she'd llike my car a lot more if it wasn't mine.

64 Grand Prix 389 .030, 1.65 Scorpion Rollers, Tripower, RARE Long Branch, Custom Stainless Exhaust and mufflers, 3.90 posi 200-4R. 068 cam.
Old 07-18-2016, 10:07 AM

Have the same problem with my Grand Prix, I've tried the inserts and still not right, and I've ruined a couple brackets. I'm glad you posted this thread and the replies because I was just about ready to try super glue. I will just sit back and let you try some of the fixes, hopefully you will become the hero of the day

Old 07-18-2016, 10:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ornjcr8 View Post
Have the same problem with my Grand Prix, I've tried the inserts and still not right, and I've ruined a couple brackets. I'm glad you posted this thread and the replies because I was just about ready to try super glue. I will just sit back and let you try some of the fixes, hopefully you will become the hero of the day
Me? A Hero? I doubt that.

I've destroyed the brackets prying them open before also. Got a buddy that's gone the shim route also. He said it works for a while, but goes south eventually also.

I'm thinking about using some very coarse grit sandpaper to give the rod a little bit of grip once it's in there. Will report back the results in the next few days when I get a chance to try it.

Nothing worse than rolling down the road in your cool cruiser with the visor wings winking at everyone as you drive along. Not to mention, they're a PITA to keep having to flip up all the time.

I knew this has to be bugging others.

Old 07-18-2016, 02:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I did the stainless screw replacement too, and somehow solved the Prob. Might have cut plastic inserts or jammed in. Maybe Ken can tell us what I did.

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
66 Bonneville 2d HT - In perpetual progress
Old 07-18-2016, 10:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Exclamation For the '61 and '62 guys out there...

No disrespect intended (just being HONEST), but the repop visor is an expensive disappointment. Unless the design (and plating quality!) has improved to reflect the price of a 'restoration-grade' reproduction, you are better off shimming the visor shaft (per Stuart).

Old 07-18-2016, 10:37 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Take the visor off and center punch the shaft in a few places around the diameter. I've done this a few times on other stuff that wanted to slip when it shouldn't.

Can't hurt anything and it just might tighten things up enough to hold in the bracket.

Old 07-19-2016, 07:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jww View Post
Take the visor off and center punch the shaft in a few places around the diameter. I've done this a few times on other stuff that wanted to slip when it shouldn't.

Can't hurt anything and it just might tighten things up enough to hold in the bracket.
Nice tip! I'll add that to the list and see how she does. Thanks!

Kevin

Old 07-19-2016, 08:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Post back and let us know if you get a fix you are happy with. My 62 Cat does the same thing both sides and I can't make the screws any tighter. Currently using the visors as a gauge of how the car is running. If it is running really good, on a hard 1-2 shift both visors will roll all the way down. If it is running lousy, one or neither will come down on the shift. Would probably rather fix the visors.

Old 07-19-2016, 12:04 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
Even a piece of aluminum cut from a pop can may be enough to do the trick.
That's what I did. I think it was Pepsi, if I remember right. Been in there for many years now. Passenger side has been holding pretty well. Driver side isn't bad. I have to retighten occasionally, but it does hold for a while. It was the only think I could think of to do at the time.

Alan

Old 07-19-2016, 10:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jww View Post

VERY clever idea...essentially you're kind of 'knurling' the shaft.