Old 09-07-2016, 10:02 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default vent window seals

Well big disappointment tonight. Getting all the parts together to reassemble my vent window and find that seal kit I have is for a A-body. So now I have buy a new kit. Seems to be a large disparity in price between mfg and suppliers. Steele and Metro are in the $150 area, OPGI a little less, and Ames is at 83. The Steele and Metro items I've had have been very good quality. Has anyone used the kit Ames sells and were you satisfied with the quality of it?

Old 09-07-2016, 11:41 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I was pleased with the kits from Ames. Some pieces i had to source from steele (great quality but you pay for it).

Old 09-07-2016, 11:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I am very interested in this too ...

1970 GTO Convertible 455 Ram Air M-21, Atoll/Blue/Black, Hood Tach, 3:31 12-Bolt Posi, A/C, Console

1966 Grand Prix 421 Tripower 4spd, Marina Turquoise/Turquoise, a/c, console, posi, reverb. pa, pb, ps, remote mirror, mats

2010 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic, 6spd Hemi, Detonator Yellow, black stripe, black leather
Old 09-08-2016, 12:05 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ho421 View Post
I was pleased with the kits from Ames. Some pieces i had to source from steele (great quality but you pay for it).
There are three pieces. Two pieces make up vent triangle and the third was the flocked channel for the main window. My flocked channel appears to be correct.

These came with the car when I bought it.

Old 09-08-2016, 07:37 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redpiston View Post
There are three pieces. Two pieces make up vent triangle and the third was the flocked channel for the main window. My flocked channel appears to be correct.

These came with the car when I bought it.
There should also be one small piece where the channel attaches at the top off the wing. If i recall i had to use steele for this piece as well.

Old 09-08-2016, 08:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Steele all the way. This is not a job you want to do multiple times due to any inferior material.

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
66 Bonneville 2d HT - In perpetual progress
Old 09-08-2016, 11:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadhead View Post
Steele all the way. This is not a job you want to do multiple times due to any inferior material.
I agree with deadhead. I have a lot of seals to do on the 64 and they will be steele all the way. I find they invest a pile of time into making their stuff factory equal. And besides that, rubber is all they do!

My wife says she'd llike my car a lot more if it wasn't mine.

64 Grand Prix 389 .030, 1.65 Scorpion Rollers, Tripower, RARE Long Branch, Custom Stainless Exhaust and mufflers, 3.90 posi 200-4R. 068 cam.
Old 09-08-2016, 06:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If Resto. Specialties had them, I would not hesitate there either. You could call up and talk to that guy, and he would be 100% straight with you on the quality of the pieces. He gave me the inside scoop on some beaded run-channel when I bought and had an issue. Some things there is ultimately only 1 Manuf. of, so you have to just take what you can get. Finding someone who knows that info. is a goldmine in this day and age.

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
66 Bonneville 2d HT - In perpetual progress