Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 09-30-2016, 11:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Poured gas down the carburetor and nothing

Old 09-30-2016, 11:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Well, that definitely sounds like lack of fire, since you've already verified compression (I think you did anyway?)

Old 09-30-2016, 12:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah its tired but it has compression

Old 09-30-2016, 02:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64speed View Post
If you havent read my previous post on intermittent surging please do so. Well after replacing the WHOLE fuel system the surge was still present on the test drive and I made it back to my house where it died in the driveway. Now it turns over and will not start no matter what I do. So I guess the only thing left to do is replace all the ignition components? Whats the average life of a pertronix unit? Could it have been slowly failing this whole time? Thoughts?
The WHOLE fuel system, include the carb? The carb inlet needle and seat, and float can be the source of intermittent lack of fuel delivery, the idle circuit and passages may cause surging and/or stalling. As can dry brittle gaskets.

I'm not heckling you, I can sense your frustration.. just pointing out potential source of problem. With a clean new fuel system, if your carb isn't fresh, now is a good time to get it that way.

My bud's Ptronix made his 427 chevelle a dog from day 1. YMMV

Old 09-30-2016, 08:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Unhappy

well I replaced the entire ignition system today and after some major hassles with getting wires where and hooked to what they needed to be I turned to key over to........nothing. Turned the distributor a little bit, got some spit back. Turned the carburetor alot and got a pretty big backfire. I could have sworn that I was not 180 degrees out but I guess I am unless someone has some other suggestions. The backfire was pretty gnarly. Anybody got anything? My patience is gone.

Old 09-30-2016, 08:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

timing chain jump?

Old 09-30-2016, 08:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Timing is way off.

Pull number 1 spark plug out.

Disconnect coil wire from distributor.

Put finger in #1 plug hole and bump engine over a little at a time until you feel compression blowing your finger out. This is why you disconnect coil wire. I did this once with timing way off, and it fired in another cylinder, and blew the flame through the intake manifold and into the cylinder my finger was in. Blew a flame out the plug hole and burned my finger pretty good. Wasn't funny at the time, but now it's hilarious!

Now bring the balancer around slowly until the timing mark is around 10° or so before TDC.

Now check your distributor rotor to see where it's pointing. Aim it at #1 wire if it's not. Now you can hook everything back up, and stick a #2 Phillips screwdriver in #1 plug wire and hold close to ground.

Turn the key on, and rotate the distributor back and forth watching for spark. Try to stop rotating when you see the spark. Now you are static timed and it should fire right up.

520-409-7236
Koerner Racing Engines
You killed it, We build it!
520-294-5758

64 GTO, under re-construction, 412 CID, also under construction.
87 S-10 Pickup, 321,000 miles
99Monte Carlo, 293,000 miles
86 Bronco, 218,000 miles
Old 10-01-2016, 08:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Its Done

Complete new fuel system and ignition system later and its all done. Car fires right up and idles just like its supposed to. I have to go get a piece of vacuum hose and it will all be buttoned up.