Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 11-17-2016, 07:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default exhaust block off plates?

Anyone make exhaust plates to block off the exhaust ports on heads to prevent dirt and stuff from going up the ports while an engine is being stored? I know other makes have them but i haven't seen them for Pontiac

Old 11-17-2016, 07:48 PM
Boost Engineer

Brian, I am in the process of having some thin mild steel ones quoted.

Any interest guys?

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 11-17-2016, 09:43 PM

Yes ...

Old 11-17-2016, 10:08 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
Brian, I am in the process of having some thin mild steel ones quoted.

Any interest guys?

Tom V.
Both "O" and"D" port? Interested in both.

Old 11-17-2016, 10:20 PM
Boost Engineer

I will need a minimum number of sets ordered before the water jet people would agree to do the project. That being said, as I posted above, I will see what the quoted price would be for both the "D-Ports" and "O-Ports".

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 11-18-2016, 01:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I just tape mine, and then put a plastic engine bag over it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Grandpa's Night 004 bright small.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	441001  

Old 11-18-2016, 02:49 PM
Boost Engineer

That Racing Expert must cost you a lot of trips to the ice cream place Jim.

Tom V.

Old 11-18-2016, 02:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Same as OMT.

Last edited by Blued and Painted; 11-18-2016 at 03:00 PM.
Old 11-18-2016, 06:21 PM
Boost Engineer

You, West of the Mississippi Guys get all of the 'First Round Selections' for "Engine Helpers"

Tom V.

Old 11-18-2016, 06:58 PM

Buick version.

Old 11-18-2016, 07:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks like a real easy fab job, using a header gasket as a template. Could use a variety of materials.

But, if your time is more valuable than your $$, there are probably some guys on this forum who will fab up a set for you.

I personally would just tape up some header gaskets, unless you anticipate some ruff handling which could tear the tape loose.

Covering the gasket holes with some thick gasket material, secured with some of the modern, really sticky glue, should make good covers.

If you really want some HD covers, you could use small pieces of metal plate, welded over the port holes of some header flanges, either from some old rusty or bent up headers, or new flanges, bought separately.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/p...iBFxoClHnw_wcB

Both Tin Indian & KRE sell the TI round port flanges for $60 + shipping. That would make the round port versions twice the price. So, there are probably several much cheaper alternatives.

http://tinindianperformance.com/Pont...%20Flanges.htm

Last edited by ponyakr; 11-18-2016 at 08:39 PM.
Old 11-18-2016, 11:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man Taylor View Post
I just tape mine, and then put a plastic engine bag over it.
TapeTTF!!! (sorry, not trying to hurt your sales Tom)

When I bought a 59 Catalina in 98 a spare motor was sitting on the ground next to it...@ 35 years( I almost left it there thinking it would be toast)...

The oil pan had a big rust hole but intake/exhaust ports had been heavily taped as well as the valley cover hole(big wad of tape stuffed in it.) rockers had been backed off, breather hole in valve cover taped.

All those years in deep snow country(plenty of summer rain too) there was barely a haze of rust inside the ports and cylinders had dried up motor oil residue(wax like) but no rust. Valves had no rust.

Field mouse ghetto below pistons but no rust on anything critical. (just the dried up oil and a bunch of crud stuck to cylinder walls and internals)

Further inspection revealed a seriously built motor(SS style circa 1962) that had no indication of ever been run. The cam was covered in grease(dried oil?)/mouse crud etc but cleaned up nicely too. Valve covers were getting close to rust through in a few spots.

Wish I knew what brand tape was used and that same stuff was still available. Several layers and it did not come off easy... but it held up to harsh conditions of Tug Hill region upstate NY all those years.

Still have block, crank, main bearings(usable), cam bearings still in block, oil pump and ancient set of 4.12" JE domed pistons(look cast). A friend has the ported heads for a 301 project on back burner. It wouldnt take much to get this thing to run and see what it could do for power but... I have other ideas in mind for the block.

Old 11-19-2016, 10:51 AM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceWilkie View Post
TapeTTF!!! (sorry, not trying to hurt your sales Tom)

When I bought a 59 Catalina in 98 a spare motor was sitting on the ground next to it...@ 35 years( I almost left it there thinking it would be toast)...

The oil pan had a big rust hole but intake/exhaust ports had been heavily taped as well as the valley cover hole(big wad of tape stuffed in it.) rockers had been backed off, breather hole in valve cover taped.

All those years in deep snow country(plenty of summer rain too) there was barely a haze of rust inside the ports and cylinders had dried up motor oil residue(wax like) but no rust. Valves had no rust.

Field mouse ghetto below pistons but no rust on anything critical. (just the dried up oil and a bunch of crud stuck to cylinder walls and internals)

Further inspection revealed a seriously built motor(SS style circa 1962) that had no indication of ever been run. The cam was covered in grease(dried oil?)/mouse crud etc but cleaned up nicely too. Valve covers were getting close to rust through in a few spots.

Wish I knew what brand tape was used and that same stuff was still available. Several layers and it did not come off easy... but it held up to harsh conditions of Tug Hill region upstate NY all those years.

Still have block, crank, main bearings(usable), cam bearings still in block, oil pump and ancient set of 4.12" JE domed pistons(look cast). A friend has the ported heads for a 301 project on back burner. It wouldnt take much to get this thing to run and see what it could do for power but... I have other ideas in mind for the block.
Not hurting my sales, Bruce, I don't even have a quote yet.

The deal would be like the plugs for the EFI Intakes. You could drill and tap for screw-in plugs but then you killed the efi intake. This topic is totally different. Is there actually a need for the pieces.

Tom V.

Old 11-19-2016, 01:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Short term i use masking tape. For longer term storage i use a good packing tape.