THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 12-08-2016, 09:53 AM
Senior Chief

Default Floor Pan Replacement, all or part?

Just wanted to ask: What would you do? Have an entire four piece Re-pop floorpan kit for my '67 GTO HO. I have small holes up front on passenger side, and have a dent at the pass side rear drain plug area, as if someone ran over a curb or island at some point in its long life. So, the plan is to replace the passenger side pans only. Just a couple of tiny pin holes on drivers side. But since I have the entire kit, should I just do all four floorpans? Likely going to do myself, but might just pay to have it done. Plan is to sell car soon after restoration is completed.
Thanks, Rob

Old 12-08-2016, 11:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

This depends on how you want your floor. Perfect like from the factory or a good repair of your original with the small pin holes. It's just a thought depending on if you want to save money for now. Those floor pans are expensive and costly to replace if you can't do it yourself. Just repair the dent in the rear. It works for me.

Mine has the tiny pin holes.. nothing big, in both sides up front. The rear section is fine. The guy I bought it from didn't replace the front. Instead he layer fiberglass in to cover the holes. Drain holes are still there. I've left it that way with this in mind. The fiberglass can't be seen and it actually strengthened the floor, plus it makes it waterproof. The underside is coated with rubberized undercoating. Less expensive than cutting out and replacing the floor. I showed it to a couple of friends and they said they thought it was a good idea for protecting it from water and it should last for years. They do it if they'd have to down the road. In the 10 years I've had the car it's still just as strong and waterproof.... not that I let the interior get wet.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 12-08-2016, 12:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you're selling it when completed, then I would suggest doing it yourself to save some cash.

Tiny pinholes don't bother me too much, so I would just replace the rusted section, not the entire pan. The only downside to this is sometimes it'll look like puzzle pieces from underneath the car if they're not finished properly.

The big dent I would try and hammer out.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 12-09-2016, 03:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I had a dent in my floor and it popped right back in place with a little help. Can't even tell it was there. I would try to pop it back first!

Old 12-12-2016, 04:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Another vote to take the least invasive route. Fix the dent, patch only what's needed. If I were in the market to buy, I'd rather buy a car with most of it's original floorpan.

Old 12-13-2016, 11:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

No way I'd replace an entire floorpan because of some pinholes and a dent. I prefer to keep as much of the factory metal as is practical.