Old 01-16-2017, 09:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 1961 PHS....

Just curious what you get that is actually VIN related?

Haven't done my 61 yet......I know you get an invoice copy on the later years.

Eye Candy......garage band?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUPcHxHRx3s

Go full screen & turn it UP!
Old 01-16-2017, 10:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm not the expert, but I think the earliest PHS documentation is either 1962 or 61. Can't remember which. PHS's web site is no help, you'll have to call them to find out. According to the web site they are out of the office until Feb 13.

Old 01-16-2017, 10:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Its been awhile but pretty sure I got one on my 61 ventura.Tom

Old 01-16-2017, 11:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

They do have PHS documentation for 1961, that's the earliest year they can provide. The main thing is you'll get a copy of the build sheet, along with several pages of information that explains the various codes on the build sheet, so you can see exactly how the car was originally optioned. It's been many years since I sent for PHS information so I'm not sure what else they provide these days, they used to include some general AMA specs along with some Pontiac promotional material for that model year.

Old 01-16-2017, 11:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I was going to scan and post what I have but there are just too many pages. But for my 61 Ventura, besides a bunch of general press release info, there is a build sheet which will show the VIN, motor unit number, production date, plant and original dealer. It has listed in almost undeciferable code all the options or option groups put on the car. Then there are several pages listing all the accessory codes available and the ones on your car are highlighted in yellow. Those page will help in decoding the entries on the build sheet.

That may help you answer some questions about your car you have wondered about. Such as, in my case, the car originally came with the drivers side fender mounted rear view mirror. It is no longer there but that helps explain the hole in the dash just left of the steering column for the remote lever. I guess just a long forgotten fender bender.

Also a sheet of interior options with yours highlighted in yellow. Also a page of engine ID codes which you could also find in a shop manual. A sheet of production numbers for 61. And other stuff of little significance other than curiosity factor. All in all, worth the price if for no other reason than to know you have it.

Old 01-16-2017, 01:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Another thing I forgot to mention earlier - when I got mine they included an engine production log, showing how many of each engine option were produced that year.

Old 01-17-2017, 01:43 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I got a whole packet for my '61 Star Chief. Pretty much the usual PHS packet, 1961 Pontiac news, production figures, all available options, all highlighted options based off the VIN, etc. Mine also came with all available interior colors, which I don't remember getting from my GTOs.