Old 01-23-2017, 12:28 PM

Default Reverb Option

I'm curious as to how rare the reverb option was on a 65 Tempest. I alway thought it was aftermarket or dealer installed on dad's car until I looked through the options catalog posted up above.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3319.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	445604  

Old 01-23-2017, 07:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Not really rare, in my experience. I ran across a lot of them in the late '70's and early '80's in junkyard Tempests, LeMans's and GTO's. Cars always had the AM only and the reverb. Never seemed to have AMFM and reverb.

Old 01-23-2017, 10:20 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

well they are harder to find these days than back in the 70's but are easily re-buildable I am told. I really like the sound of them. Something a bit different than stereo. Most were junked quickly as new and better radios started proliferating the market in the 70's.
FM radio was not very common in many areas for a long time, especially in the rural and southern regions so you didn't see many AM/FM radios period. The ones you did were mainly on the higher end Bonneville's from urban areas.

I think Reverb was last offered as an option around 1970.

2 more to go :-)
Old 01-24-2017, 09:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have an original and complete unit that needs a home if anyone is interested.

Old 01-24-2017, 05:41 PM
Boost Engineer

I had a reverb in my 64 GTO convertible.
Don't really know what ever happened to it. Sound was different for sure.
The stuff today is 1000% better.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 01-24-2017, 07:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hi Tom. Glad you brought that up. I was talking to a friend the other day about a conv. reverb unit. There has to be some difference in the rear. Where does the speaker mount??? "Bill"!

Old 01-24-2017, 08:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This is for '66-'67 but think it's the same for '65

Old 01-24-2017, 09:08 PM
Boost Engineer

My reverb box was on the left (Driver's side) of the trunk vs the picture in Jeff's post.
It mounted exactly the same way with the holes drilled thru the package tray and the fasteners going thru the side "ears" on the box. The convertible top pump was in the normal location.

The speaker box was made the same way as Jeff's Picture except the enclosure was located on the left side of the trunk. It fastened to the seat back the same way and was hard to see when the canvas top "pocket" rested on top of it.

Hope this helps Bill. Zazarine, may he rest in peace, says the option was never on the car in the Roberts/Zazerine book. It was on my car as was the Reverb switch under the lip of the dash.

Tom V.

That being said, my car was a Brass Hat car and could have had it added or a special deal pulled when the car was built.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 01-24-2017, 11:34 PM
Senior Chief

I know for the 1965 model year, Reverb/Rear Speaker was not available as a factory option build on the Convertible.

Old 01-24-2017, 11:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Check

Quote:
Originally Posted by Option 382 View Post
I know for the 1965 model year, Reverb/Rear Speaker was not available as a factory option build on the Convertible.
Also noted in Eric White Book (page 18) - No rear seat speaker or reverb on a 1965 Convertible.

Although Eric's book shows a Verbra-Phonic Rear Seat Speaker / Amplifier for a 1964 year?

It's a little confusing as to what year "Convertible" you could, or could not get these options?

1) 65 GTO Survivor. 43,440 Original Miles. “Factory” Mayfair Maize Paint with Black Pinstripe, Black Cordova Top, Black Interior, OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Purchased from the Lady that bought it new. Baltimore Built (11A).
2) 66 GTO Survivor. “Factory” Cameo Ivory Paint with Red Pinstripe, Red Interior. OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Tri-Power (OEM Vacuum Linkage), Automatic "YR" code (1759 Produced). Fremont Built (01B), with the Rare 614 Option.

Last edited by 60sstuff; 01-25-2017 at 12:07 AM.
Old 01-25-2017, 12:08 AM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sstuff View Post
Although Eric's book shows a Verbra-Phonic Rear Seat Speaker / Amplifier for a 1964 year?
Probably the typical Coupe/Hardtop speaker install.

There is so much stuff on my car that has been 'different' be it the Jack Sticker placement, the mechanical linkage, the non power brakes, the 3.90 rear gear, and correct trands speedo gear, the lack of the 5N on the data plate and the list goes on and on.

I know of 2 other KC vehicles with that deal though.

Tom V.

Old 01-25-2017, 06:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I was not aware of the none use in '65 Drop Tops.
I'll note that.
Thanks

Old 01-25-2017, 09:09 AM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hamlin View Post
I was not aware of the none use in '65 Drop Tops.
I'll note that. Thanks
Or 1964 drop tops either, apparently.

Tom V.

Old 01-25-2017, 09:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have installation instructions and the pictures with it that I can make copies of if anyone needs them.

Old 01-25-2017, 01:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Zazarine Resto Guide also speaks of it on #453 (neither rear speaker option was available with convertible models), 64/65.

Be nice to see additional information, such as an old parts book breakdown.

1) 65 GTO Survivor. 43,440 Original Miles. “Factory” Mayfair Maize Paint with Black Pinstripe, Black Cordova Top, Black Interior, OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Purchased from the Lady that bought it new. Baltimore Built (11A).
2) 66 GTO Survivor. “Factory” Cameo Ivory Paint with Red Pinstripe, Red Interior. OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Tri-Power (OEM Vacuum Linkage), Automatic "YR" code (1759 Produced). Fremont Built (01B), with the Rare 614 Option.
Old 01-25-2017, 04:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This is from a 65 service bulletin:
(for Pontiac but the blurb below pic is interesting I think)

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	65-pont-reverb.JPG
Views:	459
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	445873  

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 01-25-2017, 08:09 PM
Senior Chief

I wonder if the service bulletin is referring to dealer installed or over the counter owner installed reverb.

An original 1965 Accessories catalog I have states the convertibles could not receive this option from the factory.

Old 01-25-2017, 10:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Tom may have forgotten, but his KC convertible was equipped with the Verbra-Phonic rear seat speaker from the factory as confirmed by the 5 Group Code 2V on his Data Plate.

Since the decode of the '64 KC Manifests depends on my own research, you'll have to take my word for it that it is also coded on his Manifest record.

The '64 Order Form (the revision that still exists anyway) says that the Verbra-Phonic was Not Available for the Safari or Convertible.

The Dec 21, 1963 revision of the Inspector's Guide also shows the Verbra-Phonic as Not Available for the Convertible model (Lemans or Tempest Custom).

But in my view, the 5 Group coding on Tom's GTO (late March built) proves that either the Verbra-Phonic had become available for the convertible by that time or at the very least, a Pontiac exec was able to pull strings to get it on his GTO.

Eric White's book shows the Sales Code 474 Verbra-Phonic Not Available for the '64 or '65 Convertible (Body Style 67).

But that would only reflect what was shown on the Price Sheets or Order Forms depending on where Eric gathered his info from.

Doesn't prove that you couldn't get it.

Of course, I'm not aware of any other '64 or '65 A Body Convertible that is documented with the Verbra-Phonic option so it may very well have been that the PMD exec that got it on Tom's GTO pulled some strings to have it dutifully installed by Fisher Body and coded on the Data Plate and any attempt by a regular customer to order it may have resulted in rejection.

I believe that Service Bulletin pertains to factory installations.

The Verbra-Phonic was available for '65 big car convertibles according to the Order Form, only prohibited on the Safari.

The Following User Says Thank You to John V. For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2017, 09:26 PM
Boost Engineer

Thank You, AGAIN, John, for that reminder. I did forget (that you had told me the code for that Option).

My car is a screwed up mess of options that could not be had in 1964, parts on the sheet that were not there (Power Brakes), and of course and everyone else knows about the lack of the 5N on the Data Plate. But the Mechanical Linkage deal is the coolest part of the whole car. Terry's car was a 4 BBL car so his Mechanical Linkage deal obviously was a later on added deal. I do not believe there ever was any other 64 GTO with that Linkage installed by Pontiac. But I wait for other cars to appear as I have located at least 6 sets of the original linkage parts, I know of one set of service parts that came from Pontiac (as I opened the never opened box) with the parts in it.

You have been so much help for me, John, on my Convertible, Thanks So Much, John.

Tom V.

Old 01-27-2017, 09:31 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB VIDAN View Post
I have installation instructions and the pictures with it that I can make copies of if anyone needs them.
I would like to have a set of the install instructions if possible Bob. PM me for shipping address.

Tom V.