Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 01-30-2017, 03:34 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via Yahoo to HJones1313
Default JGC steering box rebuild.

Hey guys., there doesn't seem to be a current thread on this subject, so I hope I'm not going over old topics. I bought a '97 JGC P/S gearbox last year, just got around to finishing the rebuild, with all new seals, O-rings etc, polished the shafts and deburred the teeth. Had a bunch of fun playing with the ball bearings, but finally figured out a way of doing it in minutes. Got it all back together, and it seems that I can get the input shaft to turn only about 1.5 turns. Could I have the balls bearing out of sequence? Or is it a case of adjusting it off the car, then installing it and seeing how it functions in in the car. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!

Old 01-30-2017, 05:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sorry I don't have an answer to your question but I would say my hat is off to you for tackling that job yourself.

I have watched a few good video's on the subject and though it doesn't look impossible it does look to be a very detail oriented procedure.

Old 01-30-2017, 09:40 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via Yahoo to HJones1313

Thanks for the kind words. There was a couple of times I almost gave up, not at putting the ball bearings back, but in the middle of the valve there's a pin that holds the centre of the valve from popping out. None of the videos mention it, but it's impossible to assemble it without lining it up right. And incidentally, I re-adjusted the preload, and got more turns out of it.