Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 03-29-2017, 06:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Told ya he was an azzhole!!!

Old 03-29-2017, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKGTO View Post
I would never bet against Chief as a driver and a tuner. Richard Rawlings did and showed his ignorance of drag racing at the same time. He spent tons of money and trucked in a whole crew of people and still lost. He probably should watch some Youtube video on how it is done and at the same time find out who Jeff Lutz is too. Rich dumba--. PONTIACS ROCK ON!!. Jim
So true! Chief & company have more than proven themselves by now but it was still cool to see them do big things with Pontiac power again and in epic fashion! RR proved to be as out of touch with drag racing as anyone could have imagined, plus his bla-se Hollywood attitude made him an epic douche. Apparently ignorance is bliss

Old 03-30-2017, 10:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSPONT View Post
Told ya he was an azzhole!!!
I can easily imagine hims selling waterbeds or discount shag carpeting on late night Television in a few years!!! LOL......

Old 03-30-2017, 10:33 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Podcast

Thanks again to whomever posted the podcast link.

Favorite part was when they were talking about the older guy (Frankie?) trying to explain to Richard what the timeslip showed and what a holeshot was. I had the same reaction watching it on the TV: That guy could not believe Richard didnt understand something so basic and at one point he looked directly at the camera man like, "Wait a minute, are you guys punking me here?" I laughed at the TV Monday and even harder yesterday listening to Justin and Shaun's take on it.

Also liked that they mentioned briefly on TV and more on the podcast taking my idea from the post I made on page 6 of this thread: Had 6 weeks plus for Richard (or some other actual Gas Monkey employee) to attend one of the "Drag Racing Schools" and attain both their license and some experience driving sub 7 second cars. Now THAT would have made for some interesting scenes on TV.

Old 03-30-2017, 10:55 AM
Suspended

Yea Non-Racers crack me up they try to ACT like they know drag racing or what its like to be busting ass on a car (days at a time) to get it ready for a race the next day. Us racers know what its like to be wrenching on a car (all night) so we can load it up on a trailer only to get an hour worth of sleep then leave for the dragstrip, all the time asking ourselves why we do it and then we rip down the dragstrip and then we remember why! Blood, Sweat, tears and Money....a Dragracers life! Lets not forget our wives that put up with us because they know how HAPPY we are doing it!! Thank You Wives of America, WE LOVE YOU!!

GTO George

Old 03-30-2017, 10:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My wives didn't put up with it.........

Old 03-30-2017, 10:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Tv drama. Richard will go to a driving school and get his lisence. There will be another race. I would predict for a large amount of.money. Nobody else sees this coming?

Old 03-30-2017, 11:05 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefbigb View Post
Tv drama. Richard will go to a driving school and get his lisence. There will be another race. I would predict for a large amount of.money. Nobody else sees this coming?
No....they sold the car!

GTO George

Old 03-30-2017, 11:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOGEORGE View Post
Yea Non-Racers crack me up they try to ACT like they know drag racing or what its like to be busting ass on a car (days at a time) to get it ready for a race the next day. Us racers know what its like to be wrenching on a car (all night) so we can load it up on a trailer only to get an hour worth of sleep then leave for the dragstrip, all the time asking ourselves why we do it and then we rip down the dragstrip and then we remember why! Blood, Sweat, tears and Money....a Dragracers life! Lets not forget our wives that put up with us because they know how HAPPY we are doing it!! Thank You Wives of America, WE LOVE YOU!!

GTO George
(Totally off topic, but I didn't see a need for a new thread.)

I get the same way, weeks prepping for a 3 day event hundreds of miles away, and always end up with that one thing that doesn't get done until time to load. Anxious the entire time, finally getting to the track and fret about finding a good paddock spot. Set up, meet and greet, cookout dinner, camp in trailer.
Up at dawn, start getting everything ready, drivers meetings, go out for qualifying, back in the paddock and car check out, then wait, wait, wait... finally hear the call, on grid with 30+ other cars all the while thinking I'm the only one this anxious about the start. In my mind I know they're all experiencing the same thing but that doesn't help.
Formation lap is pure torment, do I challenge the guy in front, who's behind me, which line will clear T1 first, or worse, will we be side by side from T1-T5.

Coming to the green flag with 30+ cars with rpm's jacked up in 2nd gear wailing and waiting, then all hell breaks loose as we scream into turn one, some are aggressive, some play it safe, after a few turns we slowly get on the line and start racing one car at a time. All anxiety has gone away, just the task at hand, which is keeping the one behind you and getting around the one in front of you, all the while hitting your marks.
After 30 minutes you're hoping and praying to see that white flag and 1 to go, you take the checkered not knowing where you stand in the finishing order but relieved it's over. You come into the pits, totally spent, car is steaming hot, sweat drips in your face, but your grin is as wide as the helmet.

As you and your fellow racers peel out of sweat soaked helmets and fire suits, everyone is yakking like John Force after an energy drink, so jacked up you can't stand still, you down 2 bottles of water while pacing around your car. It isn't until 10 minutes later that you finally realize you're breathing normal again.
Big cookout and beer bash in the evening, camp fire and hanging out, knowing that tomorrow we get to do it all over again.

There was no money to be made or won, thousands of dollars were spent. It's something few non racer could understand

Yeah, my wife doesn't understand it at all, but knows how much I enjoy it, all of it, even the anxious prep, load and unload, although those are my least favorite parts. Without her total support I couldn't do it.

Last edited by ho428; 03-30-2017 at 11:47 AM.
Old 03-30-2017, 01:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

"monkey what u going to do". Bla ha ha ha.

Old 03-30-2017, 01:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefbigb View Post
I wondered the same.

63 Lemans Race Car- 8.81 @ 151, 5.60 @ 123(SOLD)

67 Bonneville ragtop

74 Firebird - 455, e heads, TK0600 in process
Old 03-30-2017, 01:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

At one point it looked like Alex was in a fog too on why he lost?

He seemed to be just a driver and had no clue how anything works?

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 03-30-2017, 03:22 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnta1 View Post
At one point it looked like Alex was in a fog too on why he lost?

He seemed to be just a driver and had no clue how anything works?

I did not see it that way.

I see a guy who was hired to do a job and who got spanked by a much lesser PONTIAC Pro Mod vehicle. The whole story line was we have the Big Buck car, we have the Pro Driver, We have the Pro Race Shop working on the car, this will be a walk in the Park.

I did hear him say, "I wonder if they are "Sand-bagging" before the real 1st race.

Then after he LOST the first race and his Boss was giving him the "You Dumb-aze, how could you lose" look he was totally psyched out.

But as Marty told me: "Driving a Naturally Aspirated Pro Stock car is nothing like driving a Pro Mod Car." Jeff Lutz took a couple of shows to get his arms around the SO type racing and chassis set-ups. The Pro Stock Guy never got the chance, one race and you are in the hole and "Have to Win" the second race. Lot of pressure on a guy with basically no seat time in the Pro Mod Car.

Last Comment. Roy Hill puts on a Driving School for a week to teach EXPERIENCED RACE CAR DRIVERS how to drive a very low 7 second car, not a 8.30 type car. Out of the whole class Marty was one of maybe 5 that actually graduated. Roy still took the money from the guys who failed. And Marty had a lot of practice driving the 6.95 car over 3 years. The Pro Mods as everyone knows are much much faster.

Just saying, give the Hired Guy some slack.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 03-30-2017, 03:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
The Pro Mods as everyone knows are much much faster.
Yep, the Crow is a lot faster than the Pro Stock car.
I don't think Chief took any lessons from Hill.

When you got it, you got it.

I think Chief schooled HIM that day.

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 03-30-2017, 03:56 PM
Boost Engineer

I would say that is a bit of a under-statement John and obvious to everyone.

Marty went to Roy Hill's school in 1996 time frame. His best ET was maybe, before that, a 9 second car. With-in a year he ran 6.95 with his car (in 1996) Switch to fast forward and Marty has run in the 5s at 235 mph at altitude.

Were you implying that Justin could drive better than Marty, John?
Or maybe said a different way that Marty was not as good of a driver as Justin?

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 03-30-2017, 04:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Listening to the Podcast, Chief was messing with him at the line during staging.
Alex had ample testing in the car, Motorplex and then in Fontana to know how to stage and launch it.
Personally, I don't think they took the SO gang seriously, and got schooled in street racing tactics.
Add in Richard with his "how could you lose" attitude and it was over before the second round started.

Old 03-30-2017, 04:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

How in the phuck did Marty get in this?
(and don't go putting words in my writings)

Sheesh, get over it.

Chief schooled the Pro Stock guy and Richard Rawlings.

Gas Monkey guy is clueless to about everything.
(like some known here)

Old 03-30-2017, 05:24 PM

Default The Crow

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnta1 View Post
How in the phuck did Marty get in this?
(and don't go putting words in my writings)

Sheesh, get over it.

Chief schooled the Pro Stock guy and Richard Rawlings.

Gas Monkey guy is clueless to about everything.
(like some known here)

WOW, All wound up you guys, but your missing the most important point.

PONTIAC beats MOPAR END OF STORY!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-30-2017, 05:35 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4GTOSplus View Post
WOW, All wound up you guys, but your missing the most important point.

PONTIAC beats MOPAR END OF STORY!!!!!!!!!!!

DROP the Microphone!!

GTO George

Old 03-30-2017, 07:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

EHTTFMF

7.940@170.84. 3460#s