The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 04-22-2017, 01:58 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Lacquer Flattener

I am not a "paint and body" guy, but have a question for the experts. Does anyone still make flattener for lacquer? If not, what do you use if anything?

Searched the internet but all I could find was an old PDF file on TCP Global for
their FA01 that is this no longer available for lacquer. FA01 is now only available for enamel.

http://www.tcpglobal.com/Automotive-...ttening-Agent/

Again, I do not know anything about paint, I am asking after a discussion with my painter who is not aware of anything available.

Old 04-22-2017, 02:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Is this for automobile use (not woodworkers water based "lacquer"?). If so are you painting interior panels. Metal, plastic? Do you already have color (lacquer).
I might have some flattening agent on the shelf I can dig out but it has to be 20 years old. I've had good luck just spraying base coat (1st part of base/clear) and leaving it if it's not getting UV rays or if need be a matte urethane clear can cover the base.

Old 04-22-2017, 06:15 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The faster the solvent you use with lacquer the less sheen it will have. Use fast thinner and it will spray out in a dull sheen. Temperature pays a role also. Essentially the faster it dries the less sheen it will have. Slow, good quality lacquer thinner will produce a very shiny surface without buffing especially in cooler temps. You should be able to get slow, med or fast lacquer thinner at a automotive paint store. You can mix different speeds to get a desired effect.
The lacquer thinner you can buy at Home Depot is very fast low quality and will leave a dull finish.

Old 04-22-2017, 06:43 PM

I used to get Omni brand urethane flattener at the automotive paint store. It's for flattening urethane paints but I've used it in many different kinds of paint. Just out of curiosity what are you spraying in lacquer? I've also used dull coat available from testers paints at hobby type shops over lacquer to dull it but it only comes in those little model paint type jars.

Old 04-23-2017, 11:17 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Painting the top of the radiator support on a 66 GTO. Painter is very into original factory finish, color and paint type along with resistance to gas and brake fluid. He wants to use lacquer and get the original color and gloss (60 degree? don't quote me on that). Also wants the factory stress lines to show. I never noticed these until he pointed them out. Similar to the bends on the inner fenders.

I will discuss with him about testing the fast drying thinners. We done a lot of testing already. Thanks for the responses so far!

Old 04-23-2017, 12:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66GTO Jim View Post
...........................original factory finish, color and paint type along with resistance to gas and brake fluid. He wants to use lacquer ...............................
Lacquer and resistance to gas and brake fluid? Not gonna happen. There are many two part urethanes you can use to obtain correct sheen. I just use SPI black epoxy. You can vary the sheen by different temp reducers. Super durable and resistant to gas, oil, thinner, etc. Never tested it with brake fluid however..