Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 07-12-2017, 05:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Oil level

How much extra oil can I have in a stock pan before the crank will hit the oil?
Thinking about using a accusump or accumulator. With oil pressure at idle being around 23 PSI the oil would be mostly in the pan till the higher rpm pressure fills the accumulator.

Old 07-12-2017, 07:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Pull pan measure lowest point from rail. Mark pan from below pan rail at the depth you measured. Setup pan level and start filling with measure till you get to your mark. (use water, solvent, used or new oil etc.)

Stroke differences and your pan dimensions would determine how much could be put in before touching crank.

Old 07-12-2017, 07:59 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by v869tr6 View Post
How much extra oil can I have in a stock pan before the crank will hit the oil?
Thinking about using a accusump or accumulator. With oil pressure at idle being around 23 PSI the oil would be mostly in the pan till the higher rpm pressure fills the accumulator.
More than a few guys with road race accumulators use an electric solenoid valve to fill or trap oil in the accumulator. As you said, at idle the extra oil is in the oil pan when the engine idling and you have lower oil pressure. You said 23 psi. No way around that deal if your air pressure is set at dumping oil in the system when the oil pressure drops to 40 psi for example. 40 psi in the air side of the accumulator.

But here is another thought.

I saw a road race car set up one time with the oil pressure coming off the engine then thru a aeroquip line to a manual valve next to the driver. From the manual valve it went to the top side oil point (next to the distributor).

So when he was tuning the engine at idle, the manual valve was closed and the accumulator was full of oil. When he was getting ready to race and going out on the track he kept the trans in a lower gear, raised the rpm, and opened the valve.
From that point on the accumulator was full unless the oil pressure dropped below his oil accumulator feed point. On the cool down lap he would recharge the accumulator and turn the valve off.

So it was basically Race mode or Tuning mode with the extra oil in the accumulator during Tuning mode. No electric switch to heat up and fail.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 07-13-2017, 06:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That's a great idea Tom , but I would want to keep all of the oil lines out of the cox pit and in the engine compartment, if fact I can't see how a tech inspector ever let that car out on the course!

You could make the control valve operable by a long rod thru the fire wall like used on kill switches and keep all the danger in the engine compartment.

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 07-13-2017, 07:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Related:

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...ght=oil+volume

Sponsor of the world's fastest Pontiac powered Ford Fairmont (engine)
5.14 at 140 mph (1/8 mile) , true 10.5 tire, stock type suspension
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDoJnIP3HgE
Old 07-13-2017, 08:27 AM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve25 View Post
That's a great idea Tom , but I would want to keep all of the oil lines out of the cox pit and in the engine compartment, if fact I can't see how a tech inspector ever let that car out on the course!

You could make the control valve operable by a long rod thru the fire wall like used on kill switches and keep all the danger in the engine compartment.
Very True. I will tell you how Steve.

I was a SCCA Scrutineer (Tech Inspector)/Sound Chief for several years.
Most on-off manual valves use a ball valve. Basically a 90 degree turn of the handle and it is either fully open or closed.
So if you mounted the valve in the engine compartment you would need some rod linkage to open and close the valve. Could be a real PIA to come up with.

In the example I described, the lines were High Pressure Teflon Insert/Steel Braided lines and were enclosed in a tunnel formed in the right seat area of the race car.
Only the stem of the control valve went inside the car (for the driver to operate).
A Handle opened and closed the valve with a 90 degree turn. Full Open or Full Trapped Oil.

The lines were accessed from the bottom of the car and a cover plate kept the rocks and track trash away from the lines. So there was no danger of a oil leak getting to the driver.
That is why he passed Tech and was allowed to run. Obviously he put some thought into his design.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 07-13-2017, 10:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You could also install a solenoid activated valve.

Old 07-13-2017, 05:27 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ho428 View Post
You could also install a solenoid activated valve.
In a road race application how long do you think the energized valve would live.
You have the most current experience in that deal. 20 minute session plus some warm up and cool down time. Thoughts.

The road race guy I knew fried a couple of solenoid valves before he went the the manual set-up.
Drag race/pit tuning would be totally different.

Tom V.