Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 08-03-2017, 03:00 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I use the Kestral 4250 and hand write the info on a log along with wind direction.

Old 08-03-2017, 08:21 PM
Boost Engineer

By the way, FU means FIX UNDER-WARE, George always seems to have his under-ware too tight right before Norwalk. Buy some 12 year old under-ware vs the 10 year old stuff.

Tom V.

We have had multiple discussions about this deal.

I just posted a free weather link on the Board. I could give a Rats A** about the supposed 500 racers all owning their own weather station except at the end of the day the number of posts will not be 500.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 08-03-2017, 09:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Who documents track temp?

Old 08-03-2017, 09:26 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
By the way, FU means FIX UNDER-WARE, George always seems to have his under-ware too tight right before Norwalk. Buy some 12 year old under-ware vs the 10 year old stuff.

Tom V.

We have had multiple discussions about this deal.

I just posted a free weather link on the Board. I could give a Rats A** about the supposed 500 racers all owning their own weather station except at the end of the day the number of posts will not be 500.

Someone is losing it!

GTO George

Old 08-03-2017, 11:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
Some of the preparations are pretty elaborate. He's been known to say "...my 'eating team' has a racing problem...."

K
Send that man a Christmas card!l

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 08-04-2017, 12:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponjohn View Post
I'm not aware of anyone who does on a website.

Jim

****'63 Tempest, 475" IAII, Wenzler Super Chief heads, converted to blown alcohol, Birdcatcher, Littlefield 10-71 high helix. Best pass to date: 7.67 @ 181.59 (1/4 mi.), 4.95 @ 143.67 (1/8 mi.), 1.18 (60 ft)

7.75 @ 178 pass:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iez3...ature=youtu.be

First seven second pass(7.98): https://wwwoutube.com/watch?v=DK17...ature=youtu.be

Thanks to Paul Carter @ Koerner Racing Engines

Old 08-05-2017, 12:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Performair trailer unit with wind and CrewChief Pro

Old 08-05-2017, 12:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by john marcella View Post
I use one. Ketrel.
Dito. Had it several years and only have to change the batteries. And it tells you that the batts need changing.

Jim

65 Catalina sedan. Allen Thomas Performance 495. KRE Heads at 310cfm ported by SD Performance, ProSystems Dominator carb on ported Victor intake, P-Dude custom grind hydraulic roller, MSD ignition, 3.50 Moser/Ford rear. F-Glass front bumper by son Rob, rear by the old man and joint effort for trunk lid. 3950# w/driver. Best of 9.5761/139 on 175 shot, 6.01 /114 in 1/8.
Old 08-05-2017, 08:52 AM
Boost Engineer

27 replies out of 38,000 PY Members on the deal, we are cooking now.

All of the 500 racers must be racing at Norwalk (in the rain) where they need a weather station to tell them it is raining. Just Kidding.
Heard that the first "time trial runs" were not until 4 pm yesterday due to lots of rain and track drying.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 08-05-2017, 12:10 PM
Suspended

Tom, any racer serious about winning has a weather station! If you ever get out of the house you would have realize it...... gosh your so 10 years behind the times!! LOL!

GTO George

Old 08-05-2017, 01:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOGEORGE View Post
Tom, any racer serious about winning has a weather station! If you ever get out of the house you would have realize it...... gosh your so 10 years behind the times!! LOL!

GTO George
I remember long before the digital stuff the guys most consistent and continually improving we're collecting and analyzing weather data. I know a guy that has log books back to the 60's. (He turned driving chores over to his son late in the 90's but still quite the weather man at 77 yrs old). Don't know off hand current devices for gathering using weather data but recall him being among the earlier guys with a laptop at the track and an early racepak to help him gather data..
At the track he seldom made tune or traction changes it was mostly dial in changes based on previous data. Very good at running his dial. We often joked about about his consistency at the lights, seeming the only data that told him what he already knew and couldn't do much more than try harder.

Old 08-05-2017, 01:27 PM
Boost Engineer

Lets see, 1996 My team ran in the 6s, on the quarter mile with a boosted engine.
31 years later you are telling me I am ten years behind the times on how to make power.

Maybe you could tell people how to bracket race a low 8 second car but I could give a hoot about that deal.

Keep up that dream of finally running a HIGH 7 second time.

Marty did not have 40+ years of drag racing "experience" and went in the 6s 30 years ago and has run 5s for several years with his PRO Mod supercharged car at altitude.

So comparing Driver to Driver, and engine builder to engine builder, you aren't much.

You are so funny at times with your low 8 second ego. Jim, outwest has tried to help you but even he could not get you to even follow simple suggestions.

Very Nice Person probably but hard for even him to add knowledge and help someone when there is nothing there (except ego) to work with.

Tom V.

Old 08-05-2017, 01:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A weather station is not usually used so you can go as fast as possible. It is used to try to stay on top of your dial-in while bracket racing. Where I live the relative elevation changes a lot during a full day of racing. It easily changes your performance in the tenths of a second. I do my best to dial in to the closest hundredth. There are other variables effecting the ET as well, but at least I can minimize the effects of weather changes.

Old 08-05-2017, 09:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
You are so funny at times with your low 8 second ego. Jim, outwest has tried to help you but even he could not get you to even follow simple suggestions.

Tom V.
If this is a reference to me, please keep me out of it. George is running at Norwalk, while you and I are sitting at our keyboards!

Jim

****'63 Tempest, 475" IAII, Wenzler Super Chief heads, converted to blown alcohol, Birdcatcher, Littlefield 10-71 high helix. Best pass to date: 7.67 @ 181.59 (1/4 mi.), 4.95 @ 143.67 (1/8 mi.), 1.18 (60 ft)

7.75 @ 178 pass:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iez3...ature=youtu.be

First seven second pass(7.98): https://wwwoutube.com/watch?v=DK17...ature=youtu.be

Thanks to Paul Carter @ Koerner Racing Engines

Old 08-06-2017, 01:16 AM
Suspended

Actually I finally got my car to go quicker with a jet change, tried it before and nothing would happen, made a cam change and a few adjustments and DAMN this thing if finally starting to run went up 4 sizes in jets and dropped almost 2 tenths.... 8.10, still with only 11 lbs of boost. I know for a fact with more jetting a 7 will come, im finally able to get done fuel in this thing......I'm happy!

GTO George

Old 08-06-2017, 01:28 AM
Suspended

[QUOTE=Tom Vaught;5770527]Lets see, 1996 My team ran in the 6s, on the quarter mile with a boosted engine.
31 years later you are telling me I am ten years behind the times on how to make power.

Maybe you could tell people how to bracket race a low 8 second car but I could give a hoot about that deal.

Keep up that dream of finally running a HIGH 7 second time.

Marty did not have 40+ years of drag racing "experience" and went in the 6s 30 years ago and has run 5s for several years with his PRO Mod supercharged car at altitude.

So comparing Driver to Driver, and engine builder to engine builder, you aren't much.

Very Nice Person probably but hard for even him to add knowledge and help someone when there is nothing there (except ego) to work with.

Tom V.[/QUO

Tom......your team..... seriously your a joke!
So Marty ran 5's.... not with a Pontiac engine, this is a Pontiac web site! What was the last race he won or hell any race for that matter? I've won a division championship, a king of the track, a top sportsmen race, a q16....quick 8......etc. going quick is nice BUT if you can't win anything it's worthless! Come Join my team I'll let you wax my car.....maybe! LOL!
P. S. Race cars have Data Recorders now.....Mr. 10 years behind!

GTO George

Old 08-06-2017, 10:02 AM

George, why did this turn personal?????? Seems like a valid thread to me. How many times is someone asking questions like "How much more power will they make with a rocker ratio change"? If a racer is not logging weather data, how will they know the gain or loss was due to rockers or baro pressure? I posed the same question many months ago and only had a handful of replies from the serious guys. For the guys who are really intelligently looking for increased performance , weather data is a requirement. Getting positive replies from the serious guys hints to the others to quit guessing and get data.!

Bracket racers don't need data , because they just do same thing repeatedly. But some get the performance bug, want to go faster data will help.

Old 08-06-2017, 11:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Without data a bracket racer is at a disadvantage not knowing if he should adjust his dial in. Yes he can play the stripe game with brakes or power but cutting a good light and running on the dial is tough to beat.

Old 08-06-2017, 01:37 PM

Bruce, I agree. I realized after posting that most bracket guys have some type of weather info to adjust dial-ins. I do wonder if that info is correlated with testing . Having extensive log books and data acquisition and then using this data to it's nth degree is the point I'm trying to make.

I'll add this bit. I haven't raced since 2003. Does this mean I'm not a racer? George? Because I was an engineer for Roush, does this mean I don't have anything relevant to post? George?

Old 08-06-2017, 05:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponjohn View Post
We do. We have to with the small tricky radial tires. When track temps go over 125 ish it gets tricky for sure. At that point tune ups and progressives for us are critical.

First ultra street/ultimate street NOS car to get into the 4's!
1.079 4.559 153.23.
3100 lbs
7.77 @ 169 1/4 Mile (2015) with EHTTFMF!!
T2TTFMF!

Special Thanks to:
Ron at Rhodes Custom Auto
Butler Peformance
Jim Hostler's Transmissions (HOSGTO) on here
Induction Solutions
BES Racing Engines.
Cheeseburger
VP Racing Fuels
Calvert Racing