Old 08-11-2017, 07:36 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Electric choke conversion

I see that there is a kit available to convert the stock choke on '71 Quadrajet to an electric style one. Has anyone ever used this?? Did it work well?? Thanks, Carmine.

Old 08-11-2017, 09:05 PM
Senior Chief

I have and it is not only easily installed but works so well.

Old 08-13-2017, 07:56 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmine View Post
I see that there is a kit available to convert the stock choke on '71 Quadrajet to an electric style one. Has anyone ever used this?? Did it work well?? Thanks, Carmine.
Carmine,
This is the kit I ordered from Summit Racing. Works like a charm...
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/JET-201355

Old 08-13-2017, 08:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That kit only works on carbs that had the carb mounted choke, with heat tubes. The '71 carb had an intake mounted "divorced" choke.

Everyday Performance is one source for an electric replacement, for the divorced choke. Links to instruction videos are provided.

http://www.everyday-performance.com/electric_choke.htm

Last edited by ponyakr; 08-13-2017 at 08:52 AM.
Old 08-13-2017, 12:27 PM
Senior Chief

I bought one from Mountain Man Fuel Systems. No problems. bt

Old 08-14-2017, 12:14 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyakr View Post
That kit only works on carbs that had the carb mounted choke, with heat tubes. The '71 carb had an intake mounted "divorced" choke.

Everyday Performance is one source for an electric replacement, for the divorced choke. Links to instruction videos are provided.

http://www.everyday-performance.com/electric_choke.htm
I looked at that 22 minute video earlier. Interesting. Doesn't appear to be too difficult. Just wondering if you ever installed one of these?? Thanks, Carmine.

Old 08-14-2017, 01:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

"...Just wondering if you ever installed one of these??..."

No.

I live in North Louisiana. Our winters are mild. I always removed all the choke stuff, including the top flap. On the race cars, I'd just idle it up, with the idle screw, til the carb got warm, then adjust for warm idle.

After doing this for awhile, you can figure out exactly how far to turn the idle screw, on your carb, so that it's a quick, easy process.

But, if I was gonna use a choke, I'd definitely go with one of the Everyday Perf models. Looks like they'll work, with any intake.

Old 08-14-2017, 07:28 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyakr View Post
"...Just wondering if you ever installed one of these??..."

No.

I live in North Louisiana. Our winters are mild. I always removed all the choke stuff, including the top flap. On the race cars, I'd just idle it up, with the idle screw, til the carb got warm, then adjust for warm idle.

After doing this for awhile, you can figure out exactly how far to turn the idle screw, on your carb, so that it's a quick, easy process.

But, if I was gonna use a choke, I'd definitely go with one of the Everyday Perf models. Looks like they'll work, with any intake.
OK. Thank you. I live in upstate NY and we get bitter cold winters here; not that it matters because I don't drive my car during that time. It's during the regular driving season that I have a little concern. In between those times when a week or two might pass by without a startup, my car turns over several times before starting. It might even stall once. I'm trying to eliminate that with an electric choke. I have what I believe is the factory choke hooked up, but I don't like the way it works. Seems to choke out the motor; make it run rich. Something gets jammed or binds. Can't figure out what it is, so I thought the electric version might be the way to go, Carmine.

Old 08-15-2017, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmine View Post
It's during the regular driving season that I have a little concern. In between those times when a week or two might pass by without a startup, my car turns over several times before starting. It might even stall once. I'm trying to eliminate that with an electric choke. I have what I believe is the factory choke hooked up, but I don't like the way it works. Seems to choke out the motor; make it run rich. Something gets jammed or binds. Can't figure out what it is, so I thought the electric version might be the way to go, Carmine.
I do not think going to electric choke is going to be the best long term cure, but since it will be all brand new it may help for a while. I have both types of chokes (and I will be eliminating the electric/Edelbrock setup on our 71 Lemans soon, and going back to the divorced coil choke Q-Jet setup). I've learned over the years that if they are not adjusted properly, and/or if the linkage is dirty & sticky they will never work correctly. The shop/maintenance manuals give clear instructions on how to do all the adjustments. If I can do it.....

What I don't like about electric chokes - Sometimes during the summer season if I let the car sit for a few weeks or so in my hot un-insulated garage, the gas will dry out of the carb. On an electric choke, having the key/switch turned on & off for a lengthy amount of time (by trying to crank the gas back up out of the tank) it will warm the choke coil up enough to open it too much before the engine is "warm". This will make it more difficult to start "cold". Disconnecting one of the wires from the choke coil helps this until you get gas back in the carb. If I drive it more often it is very reliable though. Some people do think electric chokes are more reliable over the long term.

I've been using the original hot-tube coil choke/AFB on my '64 GTO driver for over 17 years. No problems at all.

Just some thoughts to consider.

Old 08-16-2017, 09:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Here you go, might be others that are cheaper or call Cliff R.

This is from Carbjunkys on ebay
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4328.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	461263  

Old 08-16-2017, 02:04 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponchjoe View Post
Here you go, might be others that are cheaper or call Cliff R.

This is from Carbjunkys on ebay
OK. Thank you, Carmine.