Old 05-24-2014, 07:54 PM

Default Beltline weatherstrip

Hi guys, I just put on a set of the PUI weatherstrips on my 64 conv. and the experience was miserable. Now the windows won't roll all the way up. I did a search and saw the other threads on this. What I was wondering is there any progress on finding a better fitting product?
Thanks

Old 05-25-2014, 11:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Repops brand fit well and are 1000 times better than the PUI's. If you get the glass centered just right with the Repops brand parts, the windows will go up all the way. I don't know if PY or Ames carries them, but I've found them on ebay regularly.

'66 LeMans Hardtop, 400, FI, A/C, 4L80E.
'64 GTO Hardtop, "389", Tri-power, 5 speed, A/C, Yorktown Blue.
http://www.gtoaco.com
Old 05-26-2014, 08:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

64 is different than 65 as per the glass channel holders are different .

Old 05-27-2014, 11:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I used PUI on my '64 post coupe. Why didn't I have problems with the windows rolling all the way up. The sweeps work fine---if you center the window in the door channels and rear quarter channels.

Remember, the '64's used rubber sweeps, '65 used fuzzies.

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 05-28-2014, 07:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Dick, I would guess because your doors are posts, they're different. You have a continuous, fixed, front and rear guide.

Here's what I know from trying to install the PUI parts in my hardtop doors. Simply, they don't fit. I measured the door opening. Then I subtracted the thickness of the bottom bead on each sweep. Then I subtracted the thickness of the molding. The remaining opening is smaller than the chromed, die cast window frame. Unless I bent the door or reduced the thickness of the sweeps bottom bead, it would never work.

Am I correct in recalling that the post coupe doors don't have the reveal molding? That thickness right there would probably be enough difference.

'66 LeMans Hardtop, 400, FI, A/C, 4L80E.
'64 GTO Hardtop, "389", Tri-power, 5 speed, A/C, Yorktown Blue.
http://www.gtoaco.com
Old 05-28-2014, 08:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron cozzo View Post
Dick, I would guess because your doors are posts, they're different. You have a continuous, fixed, front and rear guide.

Here's what I know from trying to install the PUI parts in my hardtop doors. Simply, they don't fit. I measured the door opening. Then I subtracted the thickness of the bottom bead on each sweep. Then I subtracted the thickness of the molding. The remaining opening is smaller than the chromed, die cast window frame. Unless I bent the door or reduced the thickness of the sweeps bottom bead, it would never work.

Am I correct in recalling that the post coupe doors don't have the reveal molding? That thickness right there would probably be enough difference.
You are right on the money , absolute junk .

Old 05-29-2014, 09:19 AM

Thanks guys, they simply do not fit. I shaved the rubber off the bottom bead with a razor blade still the front windows won't go all the way up, and one of the quarter windows tears the weatherstrip from the molding when you try to roll the window down. I went to Steele rubber and bought some universal stuff I am going to try on the outers. Also I found the Repops brand on ebay. I am going to contact Ames and suggest they not even sell this product for a 64 since I just as well have struck a match to my $74.

Old 08-29-2017, 10:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have been through two sets of the "authentic" retro for the 64 with the round metal bead and neither fit. The metal "block" on the bottom of the strip catches on the window and keeps it from rolling all the way up. If you try to force it, out of frustration, as I did, you wind up tearing the w/s right off the door.

I checked the repop website but it looks like their product doesn't have the round metal bead on it. Can anyone steer me in the right direction here?

Old 08-30-2017, 12:16 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

OK, I give up. Who or what is PUI.???

Old 08-30-2017, 07:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Parts Unlimited, Inc., maker of decent looking but Ill-fitting weatherstripping.

Old 08-30-2017, 07:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecosbill View Post
Parts Unlimited, Inc., maker of decent looking but Ill-fitting weatherstripping.
Among other CRAP.

Old 08-30-2017, 08:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Crappy seat covers that's for certain. I've had a set - didn't last long at all.

Old 08-31-2017, 04:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I used Collectors Auto Supply Inc which make Catwhiskers brand. I have a 64 pillared coupe and every sweep fit good. One qtr windo could have been a bit longer. I was to get a free set if I sent my original set in because they did not have a set for reproducing them. They did not honor that commitment and stuck me with full price and freight both ways.