Old 09-02-2017, 01:59 AM
Senior Chief

Default Repair original or Replace with aftermarket radiator?

Hey guys.. my original Harrison radiator has sprung a leak now wondering should I have it repaired or should I go with a new aftermarket radiator? If new, suggestions please who/where to buy from? If I go new, I'll keep my original and store it away just in case I decide to go back to original. Anyway... whatcha all say? repair original or go new? Thanks all. - Will

Old 09-02-2017, 11:43 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Post OEMRadiator

I have had 2 radiators re-cored, both have worked out great.
These original radiators were designed with plenty of capacity to keep our old
Pontiacs running cool.
I vote to keep your original and either repair it or re-core it.

My $.02

Semper Fi
Old 09-02-2017, 11:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Another vote for original.

Old 09-03-2017, 03:34 AM
Senior Chief

Default got the old harrison out today

got the old harrison out today still looks pretty good and will take it to the radiator shop sometime next week so yeah thanks guy I think I'll stay original!

Old 09-03-2017, 01:33 PM
Administrator

Repairing your original Harrison can be done in two ways,.

1. Some shops will simply cutout the tube that is leaking. This is a bad idea because your radiator is probably already 40 years old and more leaks can start after fixing it.
2. Getting your radiator completely recored is the right way to 'fix' your original radiator. However, recores are usually more expensive than buying a brand new radiator.

I would recommend recoring your original if your car is all original, unrestored or restored using all NOS and original parts. If however you have modified your vehicle or upgraded your engine, you should take advantage of saving a lot of money and putting a brand new higher capacity radiator.

Copper prices have skyrocketed in the past 10 years. Aluminum prices have dropped over the last 10 years. Because of this, you now have the ability to purchase a high quality performance aluminum radiator for less than 1/2 the price from 5-6 years ago. And your purchase will probably save you about 30-40% over recoring your original.

Hope this info helps.

Chris

Old 09-04-2017, 03:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Let's also not forget that shops with the ability\desire to actually recore an old radiator are harder and harder to find these days. I used to be an advocate for originals being repaired, but as Ccass points out a modern aluminum drop-in replacement is cheap and in many cases performs as well if not better than some of the original styles. For a car that gets driven regularly, it makes sense to just get it done in one go as a recored one will probably leak sooner than later just because it's 50 years old.

Old 09-04-2017, 07:33 PM
Senior Chief

I just installed a Champion 3 row into my '68. Very nice piece and the price was hard to beat. Cold-case is another excellent choice too.