Old 09-20-2017, 05:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I just went to Mad Dog website and they don't even list Pontiac headers anymore.

Old 09-21-2017, 11:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Slick, I talked to the guy at Mad Dog, he is not listing headers for a Pontiac anymore. But he said if you have the time over the winter he will build you a set. His # is (770)773- 9207

Old 09-21-2017, 11:32 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by se428bandit View Post
Slick, I talked to the guy at Mad Dog, he is not listing headers for a Pontiac anymore. But he said if you have the time over the winter he will build you a set. His # is (770)773- 9207
That sounds like a great plan. No rush to install the new engine. Lots more to do first.

Thanks se428bandit,

Stuart

Old 09-21-2017, 03:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick View Post
Thanks,

What header (brand, etc.) would you suggest as a starting point? I'm pretty sure I'll need the largest practical primary diameter.

Stuart
Sorry I missed this post back in August. I have 2" mad dogs on my 74 I bought directly from them and they fit like a glove. No extra bends or dings needed in them BUT I also converted my car to a rack and pinion and now have a remote oil filter. Those areas on both sides of the block can be issues with other round port headers. The starter can also pose an issue if your trying to still use a stock size starter and not a mini. I had Hedmans on the car previously (now are on the wives car) and they are a big pain in the arse and eventually will be replacing them as they are getting thin.
I'm not sure if Hooker has decided to make a round port header for the first gen F bodies or X bodies yet.

Old 09-21-2017, 04:00 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
Sorry I missed this post back in August. I have 2" mad dogs on my 74 I bought directly from them and they fit like a glove. No extra bends or dings needed in them BUT I also converted my car to a rack and pinion and now have a remote oil filter. Those areas on both sides of the block can be issues with other round port headers. The starter can also pose an issue if your trying to still use a stock size starter and not a mini. I had Hedmans on the car previously (now are on the wives car) and they are a big pain in the arse and eventually will be replacing them as they are getting thin.
I'm not sure if Hooker has decided to make a round port header for the first gen F bodies or X bodies yet.
Thanks Rob,

Seems like a custom order from Mad Dog is the way to go.

I do have a RobbMc starter, but no plans for rack & pinion, remote oil or otherwise cutting the car. I've done that to excess in the past and need to repent, trying to keep the car as-is to the extent practical.

Hence the big challenges: column shift (evidently Lokar fixes that), A/C and power brakes. Seems a WS-6 brake booster is needed (is that from the 4-wheel disc late 70's T/A???) for valve cover clearance. No idea what will have to be done to clear the A/C box, but I'm, sure it'll be a challenge.

My engine has CV-1 heads, so the header outlet moves a little bit outward, and they are a little taller.

Thanks for your input, your car is gorgeous and very fast! Been admiring it for awhile. Wish you had more and better pictures posted of it.

Stuart

Old 09-21-2017, 04:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You definitely will have a little challenge with the AC box! The stock location of the oil filter adapter won't be an issue because there is plenty of room in that area.Not familiar with the CV-1 placement but a little out shouldn't hurt you around the block but the height could around the pan, depending on which pan you have. I had to relocate my drain plug (Canton Pan) on mine because the header was to close to the original one to the pan. I would suggest once you get your header to mock them up on your engine before you put it in just to make sure you don't have any issues before you even put the engine in. I 'm glad I did otherwise I would have been pulling it back out relocate that drain plug.
Thanks for the kind remarks!

Old 09-21-2017, 07:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I spoke to Maddog a few months back thinking if there was a lead time I'd be ahead of it. He said he no longer had Pontiac stock and wasn't going to address it till the fall.

I them on a 71 Ventura with an iron d-port and they fit well. I also had a rack and pinion.

Old 09-22-2017, 09:09 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponjohn View Post
I spoke to Maddog a few months back thinking if there was a lead time I'd be ahead of it. He said he no longer had Pontiac stock and wasn't going to address it till the fall.

I them on a 71 Ventura with an iron d-port and they fit well. I also had a rack and pinion.
Just looked up the rack and pinion setup on Classic Industries. Looks like it is a bolt on changeover. Seems like a great idea with 1) getting the steering box out of the way of the headers and 2) weight savings. Not to mention the most important 3) better steering.

I had no idea that power rack and pinion steering was a bolt on!

Ignorance strikes again. Glad you told me.

Again, thank you.

Stuart

Old 09-22-2017, 12:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick View Post
Just looked up the rack and pinion setup on Classic Industries. Looks like it is a bolt on changeover. Seems like a great idea with 1) getting the steering box out of the way of the headers and 2) weight savings. Not to mention the most important 3) better steering.

I had no idea that power rack and pinion steering was a bolt on!

Ignorance strikes again. Glad you told me.

Again, thank you.

Stuart
I found I have less "steering" with my rack compared to the OEM setup but losing the gearbox and rag joint is a big plus for room. I ended up going with the rack setup from Smith Racecraft out of TX.

Old 09-22-2017, 12:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There is definitely less available turning radius. One of the kits offers more rack travel.

For me it made no difference. It was on my old car when I bought it and my 73 will have it done too. I do not want power steering and the manual rack requires little steering wheel input. To me way better than a manual box.

Old 09-22-2017, 01:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponjohn View Post
There is definitely less available turning radius. One of the kits offers more rack travel.

For me it made no difference. It was on my old car when I bought it and my 73 will have it done too. I do not want power steering and the manual rack requires little steering wheel input. To me way better than a manual box.
Definitely a difference with the rack. Carole car still has all the OEM stuff with a manual gearbox and the turning radius is a lot better than mine. Really didn't feel a different in the effort needed to turn the wheels with bot being manual steer.