Old 10-21-2017, 07:56 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
So, what was the seller referring to as 'vent 4 air ram for carburetor' ?
Although being a very pleasant gentlemen, the owner is not well informed regarding the details of these cars. He was referring to the existing (closed) hood scoops and possibly information another misinformed person provided him.

Old 10-21-2017, 04:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Still .... I bet the car is pretty original.

Old 10-21-2017, 04:59 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bermuda Blue View Post
Although being a very pleasant gentlemen, the owner is not well informed regarding the details of these cars. He was referring to the existing (closed) hood scoops and possibly information another misinformed person provided him.
I can relate. The Pontiac Ram Air story can be very confusing to those who aren't familiar with these cars. Heck, I didn't really know much until just a few years ago and I have been around Pontiacs for a while.

You guys are going to laugh at me....and I am somewhat embarrassed to admit, but for many years I thought all 68-70 GTOs had Ram Air. When I was in my mid/late teens, I would spend time hanging out at Purely PMD and all they had were Ram Air this or Ram Air that cars so it was all I knew for the most part. I then moved to Arizona in my early 20s and bought a 68 Ram Air GTO and didn't really think it was anything special....other than the fact that all GTOs are special in my eyes. I even remember talking to Rick and John on the phone and describing the car and they said "you might have a ram air car there". I was thinking to myself "Duh....it's a GTO, and has the ram air pan and a decal on the hood...." (Not knowing at the time the hood decal isn't supposed to be on the 68 models...).

From time to time, those guys would call me up and offer a part for sale since it was correct for my car. They would spit out some part number and indicate how unique or desirable it was and then asked if I needed it. Sometimes I purchased the item.....many times I didn't. I kick myself for not jumping on those deals now that I know more about these cars.

Probably the dumbest thing I did was toss the original 14" rally II wheels (disk brake car) for a set of 15" wheels. I wish I hadn't done that. It was quite difficult to find a good replacement set all these years later. Live and learn I guess...

Old 10-22-2017, 04:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Oh man ... don't get me started ... the mistakes I made with my first Pontiacs at 17 years old .... jeez, if I could undo some of that I'd be rich right now.

Old 10-22-2017, 11:21 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I'll tell you a story. It was 1992. My buddy was selling Kirby vacuums, and I told him I was looking for a GTO...so I told him to keep his eyes open. He saw a 1971 GTO sitting outside, and went to the door and asked him it was for sale. The guy said yes and he had 3 others for sale. The 71 was a ram air auto, a 1970 4 speed, a 1970 Judge 4 speed, and a 69 GTO Ram Air 4 with a 4 speed and 4:33 rear!!! I didn't know **** about GTO's other than the fact that I just loved GTO's...so I bought the 1970 GTO because it was a driver. I remember the Ram Air 4 was a very solid car, engine needed to be rebuilt...I could have bought it for $4000. THe 71 was $2500. The 70 Judge I didn't even ask because it would have been more money than I had. I paid $4000 for the 70 GTO...that was lots of money for a 22 year old making $6.50 an hour and had just bought a house for $63,000...everyone thought I was nuts buying a house for that much!

Old 10-22-2017, 05:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I paid $1100 for my 68 plain Jane auto GTO, in 1976 from one of my high school teachers. Had 93,000 miles on it. Was a dependable, driver for several years until I started ... you know .... improving it

Old 10-22-2017, 07:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well, if it's memory lane time...I traded this '58 Caddy to a car dealer for my first '68. I paid $600 for the Caddy. All of my friends said I was crazy and I didn't care. The Goat needed a front bumper but was totally original and a solid daily driver. This was 1982.

Old 10-22-2017, 10:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Damn I love the days when you could still find a GTO like that. They were still out there back then ... some wife driving them to the grocery store as the families second car.