Old 08-24-2014, 01:25 PM

Default 68 428 4 bolt engine with Super Duty Rods

Trying to get some cash together, I have a freshly built 68 428 engine that was from a 50k mile 4-speed Ventura with factory 4-bolt main caps. I rebuilt this engine using the best rings,bearings,viton rear seal and a set of NOS 73-74 Super Duty connecting rods ($750) the engine is standard bore (machine honed for clearance for forged pistons) and the Arma Steel Crankshaft only required a polish (standard size) TRW Forged Pistons. Has a Crane Blueprint RAIV cam and currently has 614 RAIV heads------I would prefer to sell the shortblock only, I can also replace the heads to a standard d-port, ect. The engine is in the car and broke-in only about 100 miles and runs beautifull.
Complete shortblock- no heads,intake,ect. $4200
I can also build to your specs and I have other cylinder heads,ect. Let me know what you need. Westley 412-901-4540
I can post a video on youtube of the engine running,ect.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	My Pictures 005.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	374187   Click image for larger version

Name:	My Pictures 076.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	374188  

Old 08-28-2014, 09:14 PM

Is this price too high or is there no market for a bullet proof 428?

Old 08-28-2014, 09:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

People are looking for a steal. This is a nice set up but couldn't you put together a 461 stroker shortblock for that or less? Just my opinion and I love the 428 engine.

Old 08-28-2014, 10:22 PM

We all want a good deal, I am not up to date on what it would cost to build the stroker engine. What I feel the value is here is that this is a prime-vintage low-mileage high-performance block with the factory four-bolt caps. I believe the quality of the factory parts is second to none and I have put together the best combination that I feel is possible.
I have never been impressed with the quality of aftermarket parts, but I will not dispute that there are cars flying with them. I have always felt that the factory stuff always retained more value for what it was and always fits and works correctly.
This block was also carefully deburred and front oil galleries taped for screw in plugs.

Old 08-29-2014, 10:50 AM
Senior Chief

Love the 428 Block with 4 bolt mains. One tuff block for making a high rpm engine.
Block is the only thing that you have that is really worth some money. The rods of that era LS6 Chebby and Poncho HO and SD are 8640 forged steel. Great for the day but really worthless to spend big bucks on them. They are weak compared to a set of Eagle 4340 rods. 4340 material is 2X stronger and costs a lot less. Only people that want this stuff are Pontiac Purists doing a restoration. Old rods are very prone to stress cracking on the small end and letting the pin and piston hit the head. I have multiple sets of HO and LS6 rods. Would never use them in any performance application. Stock motors only.
you are correct. factory blocks are the best. But the rest of the internals are not. You can debate this all you want but the facts don't lie. Who wants to spend 4200 on a 428 Short block with stock internals when you can get a true bullet proof complete forged rotating assembly for 2800.00 from Butler.

Using Bullet proof in the same sentence as original old parts makes no sense.

Good luck with the sale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ra5gto View Post
We all want a good deal, I am not up to date on what it would cost to build the stroker engine. What I feel the value is here is that this is a prime-vintage low-mileage high-performance block with the factory four-bolt caps. I believe the quality of the factory parts is second to none and I have put together the best combination that I feel is possible.
I have never been impressed with the quality of aftermarket parts, but I will not dispute that there are cars flying with them. I have always felt that the factory stuff always retained more value for what it was and always fits and works correctly.
This block was also carefully deburred and front oil galleries taped for screw in plugs.

White/Black 70 RAIII T/A M21/373 (stripper)
Carousel Red/Black 69 GTO Judge 4 Sp
2002 Firehawk Red/Black 6Sp
Old 08-29-2014, 05:09 PM

The books that I grew up on in Pontiac knowledge say that the 73-74 super duty rod is good for over 7000 rpm in a 428, they only warn of the earlier forgings (a@b) having some hardness issues due to improper heat treatment, I worked at a machine shop when I got these rods (d@e) and was able to Rockwell test all of them to verify their hardness.
I have also never heard of a crank failure in a Pontiac in conventional racing, but the arma steel versions are said to be the best quality castings.
I just don't recognize aftermarket parts to retain any real value, but that just my opinion on my own experiences- I have never had trouble with factory parts and frequently hear of problems with aftermarket quality.

Old 08-31-2014, 11:32 AM

All the eagle crankshafts are also made overseas, there are problems with indexing of the throws being off considerably and oversize fillet radius that need to be re-machined. If you look on butlers page for rotating assemblies the "assembly tips" should give a good indication of the problems they have- if that alone is not enough to scare you then good luck.
Why would you invite yourself to these problems when the factory parts are excellent quality and fit correctly?

Old 11-17-2014, 08:07 AM

Default Bullet-Proof 428 WG Shortblock with SD Rods

I will take $3500 for the complete shortblock, call or pm if interested.

Old 11-25-2014, 12:31 PM

Last day on E-bay, open to offers.

Old 10-16-2017, 12:12 PM

Default Bulletproof 428 w/SD Rods and Armasteel Crank

Back up for sale, pm if interested

Old 10-16-2017, 12:39 PM
Boost Engineer

On each 455 SD rod is a Letter on the side of the rod.

What letter is on the side of the rods you have?

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:05 PM

They are "d" & "e" I bought them new nos and personaly verified the rockwell hardness

Old 11-07-2017, 03:22 PM

Still for sale if interested

Old 11-28-2017, 05:45 PM

Engine is still available- will listen to reasonable offers