Old 12-01-2017, 03:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Clamps for Heater Core

Good Afternoon All,

Just curious, what clamps you are using at the fire wall for the heater hoses. I guess they are supposed to be the wires, but I just don't trust them.

What did you all use?

Old 12-01-2017, 04:21 PM
Boost Engineer

Initial "Seal" is supposed to be the raised "bump" on the end of the heater core nipples that block the water from getting past them. The Wire clamps were designed as a retention device to hold the hose to the nipple.

The factory using new hose and the wire clamps never had an issue.

Trouble is, if you have time on the hoses and don't remove the previous "Bump in the hose (created over time) then the wire clamp will leak as the sealing point is now corrupted. So you use a screw clamp instead.

If you just cut the hose right behind the previous 'bump" and reinstall the hose over the nipple then the seal is made again and the wire clamp will work properly again.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 12-01-2017, 04:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Terry you have good reason to be cautious. I installed a new core and repro correctly marked hoses. I also bought new spring clip hose clamps (I think they are called Corbin), with the color id. Everything was great with the initial start up. It wasn`t till later that the smell of antifreeze and and huge stain appeared on the new carpet. Examination showed that with the hose completely on or bottomed as the Tempest manual says, that the hot pressured engine water pushed into the cabin, and didn't show as a leak on the firewall side and floor. The culprit was the repro hose is NOT the same od as the original but smaller and the corbin clamp will not squeeze the hose properly. (the core spout dimentions seem correct) I would say that a metric dimentioned hose caused the problem. I temporally installed a tiny screw type clamp just below the hose and out of site next to the firewall. Metric is well loved by a lot of folks. Only cost me another 155 for new carpet thanks to the horrors of metrics.