Old 12-20-2017, 03:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default OEM 8 Track install

My 72 GTO has an OEM, but not original, AM FM Push button radio in the dash. Rebuilt by the previous owner the car also has new OEM speakers- one in the dash, one in the back window. Everything works great.

The car came from the factory with an 8 track & has the holes in the console, but the 8track is long gone.

This week I bought what appears to be a really nice 1972 Pontiac GTO OEM 8 track player off ebay. Seller advised worked when it was removed, has sat on a shelf for 10 to 15 years. Did not come with the wire harness,

I have had an OEM 8 track to radio wire harness sitting on my shelf for 20 years. I haven't made it out to the garage to see if everything matches but I understand there are different harnesses for different radios.

My question is.... If the wire harness plugs in at both ends, am I at risk of causing harm to the radio or speakers. Is it safe to assume the radio & 8track are compatible and it won't screw anything up. It would be a shame to blow something in the stock sound system in this car.

http://www.gogtoaa.com/leibys%20rides.html
Old 12-20-2017, 04:08 PM

i can't speak to your year, but i have a 67, and the tape unit has its own volume, tone & balance controls separate from the radio unit. if my memory is correct, the wires from the tape unit to the radio were for triggering the radio to turn off and then to splice into the speaker wires. There were separate wires leading to power for the tape unit so they never cross the radio unit.

i bench overhauled my tape unit using a bench power supply and a wiring diagram. I'm no electronics expert, but it wasn't too terribly complex inside.

hardest part was finding glen campbell tapes to play after i overhauled the unit. Good luck.

Old 12-20-2017, 04:53 PM
Pypes Staff - Tech

I have a good friend of mine who sells repairs radios and sells radio wiring harnesses on e-bay. He's been repairing and refurbishing radios for 20 years and does this for a living. You might want to look at his e-bay page. Just search for--- themrgrandprix . Also your answer is not cut and dry. What I can remember is that there are at different wiring harnesses for 8 tracks depending on what radio you have... AM, AM/FM mono, AM/FM mono with F/R fader, AM/FM stereo... Check it out...

Old 12-20-2017, 10:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks

http://www.gogtoaa.com/leibys%20rides.html