Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 01-08-2018, 01:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief of the 60's View Post
I guess we just do things different here in NY.

A friend of mine built his complete car from scratch and swap meet parts in his basement. He carried the body through the kitchen, through the basement door and down the stairs. He even bent all the tube with a Harbor Fright tubing bender. When he was done, he got a backhoe, dug the dirt out from the outside of the basement wall, cut a hole in the wall, got the car out and we took it to be cert'ed.

It is called, commitment. It makes you feel better when you are done.
Some people here might call that something else

Old 01-08-2018, 01:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
Having turned wrenches most of my life for my living owned my own business, and worked for others, plus built and driven oval track cars as well as street cars, you have to be able to know when your saving actual money, or just think your saving money. Having 3 cars in pieces to me, would be an indication that I don't have enough time to build and fab each and every part needed, but what do I know.

Time is money, no getting around it. One other thing is most younger people think they are going to be able to do everything they currently do until they die. Sorry, but it doesn't quite work out that way. Your health catches up with you many time limiting what you can do as well as how long it takes you to get it accomplished. Arthritis in my hands and wrists makes all things take longer, and some things nearly impossible. Looking back on all the things I did myself to save money over the years makes me think that the tradeoff, (money to time) wasn't always the best choice.
Thanks, Sirrotica. When you've done this stuff for 50 yrs, your body catches up with you.....arthritis has really slowed down my project. On many things I wish I had spent the dime and kept the time. Wrecking your body to save that dime will catch up with you.

"No replacement for displacement!"

GTOAA--https://www.gtoaa.org/
Old 01-08-2018, 01:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny406 View Post
Have you considered going with a Pont/Olds 9.3?
Now that's something cool you don't see everyday.

Old 01-08-2018, 01:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Many of us weekend warriors don't include labor in there repairs or upgrades.
My buddy Corvette Bill would rather spend two hours finding and modifying a bolt when the hardware store, one block away has the correct bolt for 30 cents.

Occasionally the Bean counters know what they are talking about.

I've changed out many macferson struts over the years. But now, loaded assemblies are available for 10 or 20 bucks more. So do I pay the 20 bucks more or take a chance of getting my head knocked off?

--

Last edited by Blued and Painted; 01-08-2018 at 01:53 PM.
Old 01-08-2018, 02:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Another thought, before I sold my 65 LeMans project (bracket car) with the original 8.2, I ordered a set of aftermarket axles from Jim Mitschke (Monzaz) at jdrace.com, a stud reinforcement girdle and a mini spool (I still have) since the axles were already bolt in.

1980 Formula 350 Pontiac back burner project
1972 LeMans 350 Pontiac
Old 01-08-2018, 02:41 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
Some people here might call that something else
Yeah, but there are photos to back it up.

By the way, that's a FREE junkyard Ford 9" housing you see in that middle photo.

Last edited by Chief of the 60's; 01-08-2018 at 03:25 PM.
Old 01-08-2018, 02:46 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
One other thing is most younger people think they are going to be able to do everything they currently do until they die. Sorry, but it doesn't quite work out that way. Your health catches up with you many time limiting what you can do as well as how long it takes you to get it accomplished. Arthritis in my hands and wrists makes all things take longer, and some things nearly impossible. Looking back on all the things I did myself to save money over the years makes me think that the tradeoff, (money to time) wasn't always the best choice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1968GTO421 View Post
Thanks, Sirrotica. When you've done this stuff for 50 yrs, your body catches up with you.....arthritis has really slowed down my project. On many things I wish I had spent the dime and kept the time. Wrecking your body to save that dime will catch up with you.
I'm 60

I just feel for comfortible doing what I can vs. trusting someone else. In the end, I can get more and better things done with my money.

Old 01-08-2018, 04:23 PM
Senior Chief

Another bit of praise for Quick Performance. Love getting the assembled center section shipped in a nice, shiny, brand-spankin-new, black 5 gallon bucket! lol

4.57 pro gears, 35 spline spool, plug it in and go.

64 F-85
72 4-4-2 Mondello's VO Twister II
84 Hurst/Olds #2449
87 Cutlass Salon
54 Olds 88 sedan
Old 01-08-2018, 04:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

When I was 60 my arthritis wasn't anywhere near where it is now, that was 5 years ago. See where you are in 5 years from today......

I heard a guy telling that he restored a 73 T/A in his early 60s, then saying that he's glad he did it when he did because after 65 he felt he couldn't have attempted it. My mother is 96, and she says every month there are things she could do 6 months earlier that she can't do any longer. The older you get the more attrition you have, something to consider.

The comment about modifying a bolt spending 2 hours on it so you didn't have to buy one is sooooooo true, cause I did that myself, years ago, but yes I did that same thing myself.

It all comes down to what you value your time at, if your time has little to no value your likely going to try to build every component on a project. If you value your time you're less likely to do that, even if you have the talents to do it yourself. I wrestle with the time/value question regularly. Yes I can do it, do I really want to though? Presently I like to focus on things that you can't buy to use my fabrication skills on, rather than trying to prove that I can do something I already know I can accomplish.

There is no right or wrong answer, the individual has to make the decision and live with their choice.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 01-08-2018, 06:21 PM
Senior Chief

[QUOTE=Tom Vaught;5831203]I would personally never run a "c clip eliminator" on any housing. The have a history of leaking. I would spend the money and put it into a proper Ford Rear Axle with big bearing ends (Positive Retention Bearings), Extremely strong axles available, Center sections from the aftermarket allowing quick gear changes, Aftermarket Pigs that are a lot stronger vs a "N" case 9" Pig. Have you checked to see if this (" Housing is actually using 28 spline axles vs the better 31 spline, 33 spline, 35 spline or 40 spline axles? I personally would not touch a 28 spline 9" axle. Did you ask?

Tom V.[/QUOTE

I have not found out if it is a 28 spline or not. I saw the guy today but never thought about asking, ( first day back after vacation and it was a busy day ). I will try to find out, but after all the input from the members here I am leaning towards getting an aftermarket assembly. No use in putting junk in it after spending as much as I have already. Thanks guys.

Old 01-08-2018, 06:39 PM
Suspended

Did you happen to notic that "junk" went 4's?

Old 01-08-2018, 07:18 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks for all the responses guys. Your making it easy for me to decide on what I am going to do. As far as welding and fabricating , that's what Ive done for 35 years. I have no doubt about doing the fab and welding but I haven't built a rear end before so I would tend to lean towards having it done on a jig. Anyway, after hearing all the costs involved I'm leaning towards buying an aftermarket unit. It sounds like I will have a new, stronger and purpose built rear end made to suit my needs for about the cost of building up a used 9 inch. Thanks for all your input and suggestions.

Old 01-08-2018, 07:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have an S60, It was awesome to bolt it in, connect the brake line, bleed the wilwood brakes and drive it. 2-3 hr job with removing my old 12 bolt!!!

Old 01-08-2018, 09:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

These 8.5 10 bolts are unicorns around here. I did my research. Some of y’all have laughed at the questions I have asked but you can’t say I haven’t done my research. I looked at 9 inch 12 bolt and Dana 60 from every source you can imagine and at the end of the day the quick performance 9 inch with explorer discs and a Yukon aluminum thru bolt center will billet everything and a 1350 yoke out the door for 2400 and some change minus shipping just could not be beat. I even got the jack pad the billet fill tube, upgraded to moser axles and got a tru track instead of a clutch posi. Try doing that with a 12 bolt or a DANA. Unless you have the housing to begin with it just didn’t add up to me. I said I’d never run a ford either

Old 01-08-2018, 09:24 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64speed View Post
These 8.5 10 bolts are unicorns around here. I did my research. Some of y’all have laughed at the questions I have asked but you can’t say I haven’t done my research. I looked at 9 inch 12 bolt and Dana 60 from every source you can imagine and at the end of the day the quick performance 9 inch with explorer discs and a Yukon aluminum thru bolt center will billet everything and a 1350 yoke out the door for 2400 and some change minus shipping just could not be beat. I even got the jack pad the billet fill tube, upgraded to moser axles and got a tru track instead of a clutch posi. Try doing that with a 12 bolt or a DANA. Unless you have the housing to begin with it just didn’t add up to me. I said I’d never run a ford either
How much power do you plan on running?

Old 01-08-2018, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk44 View Post
I, had a conversation with a friend who recommended that I go with the ford 9 inch to replace the Oldsmbile "O" rear end that was there when I got 65 LeMans.
I would get rid of that rear end for just about anything, parts are almost non existence and is nothing more than a 10 bolt with a 12 bolt cover.
When Olds guys sell their cars they like to brag that it has a "factory 12 bolt" like thats a plus! Wrong 12 bolt.

Old 01-08-2018, 10:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief of the 60's View Post
How much power do you plan on running?
I just wanted a bulletproof setup that will last on the street forever. It will never see sticky tires

Old 01-08-2018, 10:18 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64speed View Post
I just wanted a bulletproof setup that will last on the street forever. It will never see sticky tires
For that, you got a through-bolt center section?

You do realize those are made for 1000 horse and up race cars don't you?

Old 01-08-2018, 10:20 PM

I would just build the O-rear that you have; these people seem to have the parts to make it last.
http://www.supercarsunlimited.com/Differential-c10.asp

Or sell it to these folks who run with Dr Oldsmobile...
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...differentials/

Old 01-08-2018, 10:24 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullbucket View Post
I would get rid of that rear end for just about anything, parts are almost non existence and is nothing more than a 10 bolt with a 12 bolt cover.
When Olds guys sell their cars they like to brag that it has a "factory 12 bolt" like thats a plus! Wrong 12 bolt.
Yeah when I bought it I did a quick glance at it and thought to myself that I had done good finding a car that already had a 12 bolt. When I got it home I started changing all the fluids and pulling things apart to see if there were any surprises . Well I pulled the rear cover off and saw that it was an open rear but thought I can put a posi in it. Then I went to find a gasket for the cover and nobody could match it up. I did some research and found where the numbers were and what they meant . Then I found out it was a "O" rear. An "O" what a turd is more like it. Oh well, I'll just live with it till I get something else back there.