67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 01-09-2018, 09:15 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default '68 Firebird Side View Mirror (Round vs Rectangular)

For the '68 Firebird, there was an early and late style side view mirror
(for both the standard manual mirror and remote mirror)

The general "rule" has been that all early built Firebirds (thru Dec. '67) used the round style mirror.
All Firebirds built starting in Jan. '68 received the 2nd type rectangular shaped mirror.

Shown below is the LH driver's side door mirror mounting holes for (2) different '68 Firebirds:

One was built 2nd week of Nov. '67 (w/round remote side view mirror)
The other was built 2nd week of Dec. '67 (w/standard/manual rectangular mirror)
Both built at Lordstown.

Apparently, the running change started in mid-Dec.

Other than the obvious hole differences in the outer skin and inner reinforcement, was there any other difference in the door?

Thanks!

Semper Fi
Old 01-16-2018, 09:53 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

John,

Interesting pictures. The rectangular remote mirror from the late 68 cars had holes that are more like the picture you show on top. I've never seen a door with the holes you show on the bottom, but could certainly be original on the remote round mirror doors. I'll send you a picture of the remote rectangular mirror door. It's a rotted out door I kept and I took the remote square mirror off of it. Still have it, but it really is trashed.

BTW, if you have a Non- power window 68 door that you are adding an original power window setup to, I believe there are a couple of holes on the inside of the door that you will need to drill out for the power window mechanism. I can send pics of that too if you like as I have a set of each.

Old Joe