67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 05-25-2017, 09:50 PM

Default 67 Firebird replacement heater core options

I have a 67 Firebird without AC and need to replace the heater core. The core is 9 3/8" x 6 1/8" x 2 1/2". It appear this size was use in 67 & 68. The 69 core is thinner (2").

The 69 core is easy to find, the 67-8 core that companies list is also use in the Sunbird & J2000 and the tubes do not fit through the firewall (the car is a complete running car not a in progress resto so the front end is in place).

Question what have people been using? I tried checking Ames but their online catalog isn't working for me.

Old 05-25-2017, 10:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Have you tried any of the "Bitchin' Camaro" sites? They make everything for those Poncho wanabes.

Still have my 1st Firebird
7th Firebird
57 Starchief
Old 05-27-2017, 10:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The same year Camaro cores are thinner too. I ran into this problem and finally found a Spectra which may still make the correct size - Rockauto shows a 2.5" for $63.89

Old 05-28-2017, 10:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I used Ames performances. Fit fine. https://secure.amesperf.com/qilan/De...A&web_access=Y

Old 05-28-2017, 09:56 PM

Thanks for the input guys.

Hammered your car has AC? Mine doesn't.

Silverbullet07, Link doesn't work for me I assume it's the without AC core? If so, I tried one and couldn't get the tube thru the firewall. My car is fully assembled.

Thanks.

Old 05-28-2017, 10:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Humm the link works for me. Yes it is the no AC core. I think I just straightened the tubes a little and it went through.

Old 05-30-2017, 05:16 PM

I ordered the "correct' one as well and had to bend the tubes to fit. I don't have a lot of these under my belt but my mechanic buddy swears he bends almost all of them to fit, just have to be careful.

Old 05-30-2017, 06:08 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I had a problem with the core in my 67, though it is an a/c car. I found out the there are two different units, one with the tubes about 1/4" closer together. None of the units that were listed in the catalogs would fit correctly. I suppose I could have tried to bend the tubes, or enlarged the holes in the firewall. I chose to have mine recored. That way it fit correctly.

Old 05-30-2017, 09:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Recoring is a good option, but I did not have to bend the Spectra unit and it was the proper thickness.

Old 01-17-2018, 03:09 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Guys, I need to replace mine too (non-AC) as part of my restoration. With respect to buying one from Ames and bending the tubes, just how big of a deal was that? Are we talking tweak with your hands or heating up with a torch or ????? Mine is still original and didn't leak when I pulled it out 28 years ago. I just don't want to put it back it and deal with a leak. Maybe I should just re-core it or just have it boiled out and pressure tested??

OJ

Old 01-17-2018, 04:40 PM

if you are going through a resto, just have it re-cored.

I had to bend mine up to get the new on to fit and ended up needing to re-solder the tubes because I broke the solder around one of them.
Total rookie mistake on my part, but lesson learned.

I was just trying to get mine back on the road, sounds like you might have time to just have a re-core done and know it will fit.
Don't know what the price difference is from a new one to a re-core though, never considered that route.

Old 01-18-2018, 09:57 AM

I have run into this same problem twice in recent years. The one Ames sells is wrong and i returned it. Ames argued up and down it was right, but the tubes are bent wrong and hit the outer heater cover. As far as i can tell, nobody sells the right one. The 2" thick core model can be used but have to fabricate some spacers. On the last go round, I had the radiator shop re-bend the tubes.

Old 01-18-2018, 10:41 PM

What I found out was the 2 1/2" core was used in 67 and the start of 68, sometime in 68 they switched to the 2" core. Every parts house I tried (it was quite a few) didn't have the correct 67 regardless of what they thought. I ended up have mine re-cored . Find a good radiator shop in your area and you'll be happy.

Old 01-20-2018, 09:04 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Does anybody have a Radiator Repair shop to recommend in Wisconsin? I'm thinking of taking my heater core to Heavy Duty Radiator Repair on Silver Spring Road in Menomonee Falls. I know nothing about them other than they have been in business forever and the few google reviews say they are pretty good.

OJ