THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 01-28-2018, 12:41 AM
Senior Chief

Location: Gilroy, California, USA-Garlic Capital of the world!
Red face

Forgot to quote this. It's for Jerry H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dillon View Post
Seen the doc? Sounds like you might have a low-grade pneumonia. If you're running a fever, definitely go in.

~Jack Handey, Deep Thoughts
Old 01-28-2018, 01:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry H. View Post
Don't think I've had the flu but I've had some sort of upper respiratory virus since just after Thanksgiving that I just can't shake. Congestion and cough and it really got me down. I'm just now feeling a little better, but still dealing with a little deep cough, weakness, and no stamina. My immune system is low due to everything else I deal with but this stuff has been extra tough!
Jerry, you’re describing exactly what I’ve had.Started right after Christmas, then got much worse after several hours in subzero weather attempting to unthaw a frozen water main. Three days later, temp hit 103 which freaked my wife out. Two weeks of antibiotics later, I’m starting to feel better but have no energy.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 01-28-2018, 02:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I had walking pneumonia for about 2 weeks just after Christmas. Weather change and not wearing a coat did it for me. I don't usually get sick. Wife has it, or the flu right now, She even got the flu shot.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 01-28-2018, 04:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I’ll be getting one next year, Gary. This has SUCKED!

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 01-28-2018, 05:39 PM

I just got out of the hospital, spent 6 days for flu and a severe cold. thought I was going to die I have COPD . felt like I was beat with a bag of nickels.

Old 01-28-2018, 07:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Have had it for about a week now. I DID have the flu shot, which is why I think this is a milder case than most. Temp around 99.3. Scratchy throat, occasionally running nose, intestinal "issues" and dry cough. Pain in the butt for sure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 01-28-2018, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
I had a thread about going to Scottsdale Barrett Jackson a few weeks ago, this is how the 10 days in AZ worked out. My wife got it then I got it and my mother got it after we got to her home.

If you think your getting it, (Cough, fever) go immediately to an Urgicare or doctor and get a script for Tamiflu. It won't stop it, but it lessens the symptoms. If you don't get the Tamiflu be prepared for 10 days of pretty severe symptoms. The doctor told us the flu vaccines this year were only 4-6% effective because the chose the wrong strains for what flu was most prevalent.

The doctor also told us it was very contagious, and chances are if one member in your house has it everyone will contact it, that's how it happened with my family.
Emergency care places are a waste for this years flu. Don’t waste your time!!! Go to the ER. 99% you’ll wind up there. As sick as kids get my Grandaughter is 3 years old, and she has CHIP insurance. The urgent cares don’t even take that insurance.

~MaryAnn~ AKA "Stickybuns"
1969 Firebird 400 Convertible
1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

I'm the FiredUp PY bad girl
Old 01-28-2018, 10:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firedup6975 View Post
Emergency care places are a waste for this years flu. Don’t waste your time!!! Go to the ER. 99% you’ll wind up there. As sick as kids get my Grandaughter is 3 years old, and she has CHIP insurance. The urgent cares don’t even take that insurance.
MA, I went to the Urgicare solely to get swabbed to verify what type flu I had, and to get a script for the Tamiflu. My wife is an RN/Certified Care Manager, and her advice was to get the script to head off the severe symptoms ASAP. She had the flu first, and went to Urgicare to get her script before we left OH. I came down with it the first day (Friday night) we landed in Phoenix. I went to Urgicare Saturday AM as soon as they opened. Monday AM my 96 YO mother came down with it and we got her right into the Urgicare and got her Tamiflu. The flu shots this year missed the mark almost completely, my mother had her flu shot and still got it. Doc said the flu shots this year were only 4-6% effective.

If the CDC misses the strains when they decide what strains of flu they are making the vaccine for, it doesn't do anyone any good. If you get the flu, taking Tamiflu ASAP is your only line of defense. No need for any of my family to go to the ER just to get a script for Tamiflu. BTW, I paid zero as I have Medicare, and insurance through my wife's employer. My mom only has Medicare and paid $30 deductible. Also The Urgicare usually has lots less wait time than an ER too.

Wife says that unless you're dehydrated etc. going to the ER is a waste of money, for your insurance company and the amount of deductible you're going to be responsible for. I kind of take her word for it as she's a RN/CCM for United Health Care. Now if you're needing an IV for loss of fluids, the ER would make sense. If you have a slight temperature and your coughing, and have just come down with the symptoms, the only thing that is going to help you get less severe symptoms is Tamiflu, but you have to get it as soon as you start with the symptoms. The longer you wait the less effect Tamiflu will have.

The Doc we saw said Phoenix has had a flu epidemic for the past 2 1/2 months, Tamiflu has been prescribed so much in the Phoenix area that it's in short supply at the pharmacies, you have to call around to find out who has it.

Having an RN/Certified Care Manager in the family definitely has it's advantages when it comes to health care choices.................

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 01-28-2018, 11:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dillon View Post
Seen the doc? Sounds like you might have a low-grade pneumonia. If you're running a fever, definitely go in.
Seen him once just after the first of the year and called him back about 10 days ago. I've never run a temp. and my lungs have been clear. So when I talked with him on the phone he said a lot of it was going around and told me what kind of OTC cough syrup to get. It seems to help somewhat.

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 01-29-2018, 12:08 AM
Senior Chief

You know what sucks? Being allergic to more medicines then I can count on all my digits. Tamiflu makes me break out in hives. Zpacks don't seem to work for me but at least I don't have an allergic reaction to that.

2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS Jeff Gordon Edition
2017 Dodge Challenger SXT Black Top Edition
Old 01-29-2018, 03:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Drink Apple cider vinegar and take Zycam.. keep the immune system up .

Old 01-29-2018, 06:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulabruce View Post
Drink Apple cider vinegar and take Zycam.. keep the immune system up .
The apple cider vinegar doesn’t work, Bruce. All it does is make you pucker.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 01-29-2018, 08:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a lot of faith in ACV, it doesn't cure everything, but it does make the immune system in the gut work better. I had GERD and ACV taken twice a day seems to have cured all of the symptoms. I also had severe leg cramps that have plagued me a good part of my adult life, ACV has pretty much eliminated the leg cramps since I started taking it.

If you have leg cramps that persist taking a dose of ACV will stop them in just a minute or two of taking it. I know it seems like an impossibility that it can work that fast. After talking to my MD and him telling me that quinine would help with leg cramps I checked the side effects of quinine and decided against it. Quinine was pretty much taken off the market in the last 10 years because of it's side effects.

I like to take homeopathic medicines when appropriate and after doing some research on ACV I decided to try it out. It has done everything I had read about and no bad side effects. Read up about it on the net, ACV is relatively cheap for the health benefits it has. BTW, you need to buy the non pasteurized, non filtered form of it with the "Mother". The "Mother" is the remnants of the apples it is pressed from, has the probiotics that keep your gut healthy. ACV also slows the digestion which has an effect of lowering blood sugar levels for diabetics, which I am also afflicted with.

Since a large percentage of your immunity is based in your digestive tract keeping it healthy does boost your immunity. Used daily it will help you shed pounds especially in the area around the waist where weight loss is tough to remove belly fat.

The quote below comes from Web MD, not some crackpot website no one has ever heard of:

Quote:
Apple cider vinegar has a long history as a home remedy, used to treat everything from a sore throat to varicose veins. But there’s not much science to support the claims. Still, in recent years, some researchers have been taking a closer look at apple cider vinegar and its possible benefits.
What’s in It?
It’s mostly apple juice, but adding yeast turns the fruit sugar into alcohol -- this is fermentation. Bacteria turn the alcohol into acetic acid. That’s what gives vinegar its sour taste and strong smell.
How Is It Used?
Vinegar’s used in cooking, baking, salad dressings, and as a preservative. There’s a lot of acid in it, so drinking vinegar straight isn’t recommended. And it can cause serious problems if you have a lot of it. If you’re looking to take some for health reasons, most people recommend adding one to two tablespoons to water or tea.
The Benefits
Vinegar has been used as a remedy since the days of Hippocrates. The ancient Greek doctor treated wounds with it. In recent years, people have explored apple cider vinegar as a way to lose weight, improve heart health, and even treat dandruff.
Many of these claims aren’t supported by modern research. But some studies have found that acetic acid -- which gives vinegar its distinctive taste and smell -- may help with a variety of conditions:

Japanese scientists found that drinking vinegar might help reduce obesity.
One small study found that vinegar improved blood sugar and insulin levels in a group of people with type 2 diabetes.
Vinegar also has chemicals known as polyphenols. They’re antioxidants that can curb cell damage that can lead to other diseases, such as cancer. But studies on whether vinegar actually lowers your chances of having cancer are mixed.
The Downsides
Did we mention it’s highly acidic? Drinking a lot of apple cider vinegar can damage your teeth, hurt your throat, and upset your stomach. Also:

Though some studies have been promising, there’s still little evidence that drinking apple cider vinegar helps you lose weight.
It may also cause your potassium levels to drop too low. Your muscles and nerves need that nutrient to work the way they should.
Another study of people with type 1 diabetes found that apple cider vinegar slows the rate food and liquids leave the stomach to be digested. That makes it harder to control your blood sugar level.
It might also affect medications that treat diabetes and heart disease, as well as diuretics (medicines that help your body get rid of water and salt) and laxatives.
And of course, its strong taste might not be for everyone.
In short, apple cider vinegar probably won’t hurt you. Enjoy it in your diet because it’s calorie-free, adds lots of flavor to food, and has health benefits. But it’s not a miracle cure.
Krill oil is another homeopathic remedy I take to lessen the effects of arthritis as it removes inflammation from the body. I also take turmeric to further help with inflammation as well as cinnamon to help with blood sugar spikes. No long list of side effects with these homeopathic remedies, unlike the stuff, big pharma/MDs, are pushing.

I do believe homeopathic medicines do have their place, they surely do not have a laundry list of side effects such as the medicine that you see advertised on TV every day as miracle cures.

1984 Grand Prix

Old 01-29-2018, 12:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I just read this. The CDC says "There's another bad virus going around that is not the flu." Military personnel get the virus, tho I'm not sure if the public can. And no clinics test for it.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medi...b7Kz&ocid=iehp

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 01-29-2018, 12:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurryinhoosier62 View Post
The apple cider vinegar doesn’t work, Bruce. All it does is make you pucker.
Watch this, ALL of it and learn.....
Millions of humans get in the right place PH-wise to help your immune system fight off a virus. Its a fact and it works well for most people, and taking it once, isnt the answer. Ph is different all over the body, and how ACV is digested and accepted throughout your blood stream improves your overall health. Blood pressure, Blood PH , cholesterol, diabetes, weight, skin, hair, nails, and immune systems
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeHl5Y7m1xM

Old 01-29-2018, 01:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The "Flue"
Usually there are 3 types each year of SWINE flue that are accepted as possible problems for humans. Then the 3 selected are cultivated in Chicken Eggs. Then the Eggs are passed under UV-C lighting and its killed. Then a serum is produced from that "dead" Virus. That said, when they get in a hurry making this and the Eggs do NOT spend enough time in "radiation" you end up with problems and millions around the world develop neuromuscular problems similar to fibromyalgia. Importing the Serum from overseas has caused quality problems in different years in the past.
No Shot can work if your immune system isnt in top working order, which brings me right back to Apple Cider vinegar..

Old 01-29-2018, 02:40 PM

Quote:
MA, I went to the Urgicare solely to get swabbed to verify what type flu I had, and to get a script for the Tamiflu. My wife is an RN/Certified Care Manager, and her advice was to get the script to head off the severe symptoms ASAP. She had the flu first, and went to Urgicare to get her script before we left OH. I came down with it the first day (Friday night) we landed in Phoenix. I went to Urgicare Saturday AM as soon as they opened. Monday AM my 96 YO mother came down with it and we got her right into the Urgicare and got her Tamiflu. The flu shots this year missed the mark almost completely, my mother had her flu shot and still got it. Doc said the flu shots this year were only 4-6% effective.

If the CDC misses the strains when they decide what strains of flu they are making the vaccine for, it doesn't do anyone any good. If you get the flu, taking Tamiflu ASAP is your only line of defense. No need for any of my family to go to the ER just to get a script for Tamiflu. BTW, I paid zero as I have Medicare, and insurance through my wife's employer. My mom only has Medicare and paid $30 deductible. Also The Urgicare usually has lots less wait time than an ER too.

Wife says that unless you're dehydrated etc. going to the ER is a waste of money, for your insurance company and the amount of deductible you're going to be responsible for. I kind of take her word for it as she's a RN/CCM for United Health Care. Now if you're needing an IV for loss of fluids, the ER would make sense. If you have a slight temperature and your coughing, and have just come down with the symptoms, the only thing that is going to help you get less severe symptoms is Tamiflu, but you have to get it as soon as you start with the symptoms. The longer you wait the less effect Tamiflu will have.

The Doc we saw said Phoenix has had a flu epidemic for the past 2 1/2 months, Tamiflu has been prescribed so much in the Phoenix area that it's in short supply at the pharmacies, you have to call around to find out who has it.

Having an RN/Certified Care Manager in the family definitely has it's advantages when it comes to health care choices.................

All I have to do is call my Dr. and they don’t want me going to them or urgent cares because of contagious people. They know my history, and the fact I have a compromised immune system, so I call and they call me a script in to CVS. Unless I have a fever than it’s right to the ER. As little extra exposure as possible for me. Example..... I k ew from past symptoms I had a pretty bad sinus infection. No fever, no nausea, just nasty junk, and headache, tooth pain. Sinus infected. They called in for an antibiotic, not wanting me coming to the office sitting around contagious patients. I’m sure it’s not their practice to just prescribe meds freely, but I have quite a record since having Leukemia so they would rather I don’t go out. Mike picks up the script so I don’t even have to do that and stand around at the pharmacy with coughing sneezing sick people.

1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

Old 01-29-2018, 04:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firedup6975 View Post
All I have to do is call my Dr. and they don’t want me going to them or urgent cares because of contagious people. They know my history, and the fact I have a compromised immune system, so I call and they call me a script in to CVS. Unless I have a fever than it’s right to the ER. As little extra exposure as possible for me. Example..... I k ew from past symptoms I had a pretty bad sinus infection. No fever, no nausea, just nasty junk, and headache, tooth pain. Sinus infected. They called in for an antibiotic, not wanting me coming to the office sitting around contagious patients. I’m sure it’s not their practice to just prescribe meds freely, but I have quite a record since having Leukemia so they would rather I don’t go out. Mike picks up the script so I don’t even have to do that and stand around at the pharmacy with coughing sneezing sick people.
Being from OH I have no connections in Phoenix, Urgicare is the quickest way to get a script filled. I already had the symptoms so being around other people that had the flu was of no concern. I just needed to get my nose swabbed and confirm I had it, they then wrote the script for the Tamiflu which is highly time sensitive to avoid the full blown symptoms.

Your compromised system has special needs, no one in my family has the need to stay out of contact with the public, we just got off of a plane with 200 people on it so keeping away from the public was a futile effort.

ERs charges are at least 4 times what an Urgicare is. In our situation the Urgicare was the quickest most efficient way to get a script as quickly as possible in a city we had no doctor connections on a Saturday morning. I've sat in ERs for hours just waiting to be seen many times, also ERs don't want to see people that are not in imminent danger. The flu isn't what I'm going to an ER for, it's simply wasting resources for someone that may need real emergency care, not just a doctor visit for a verification of the flu, and the resultant script.

The average person with flu symptoms, really doesn't belong in an ER, IMO, and the opinion of my wife, the RN care manager. Anyone is free to do whatever they want in managing their own healthcare, so I'm leaving it at that.

1984 Grand Prix

Old 01-29-2018, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Being from OH I have no connections in Phoenix, Urgicare is the quickest way to get a script filled. I already had the symptoms so being around other people that had the flu was of no concern. I just needed to get my nose swabbed and confirm I had it, they then wrote the script for the Tamiflu which is highly time sensitive to avoid the full blown symptoms.

Your compromised system has special needs, no one in my family has the need to stay out of contact with the public, we just got off of a plane with 200 people on it so keeping away from the public was a futile effort.

ERs charges are at least 4 times what an Urgicare is. In our situation the Urgicare was the quickest most efficient way to get a script as quickly as possible in a city we had no doctor connections on a Saturday morning. I've sat in ERs for hours just waiting to be seen many times, also ERs don't want to see people that are not in imminent danger. The flu isn't what I'm going to an ER for, it's simply wasting resources for someone that may need real emergency care, not just a doctor visit for a verification of the flu, and the resultant script.

The average person with flu symptoms, really doesn't belong in an ER, IMO, and the opinion of my wife, the RN care manager. Anyone is free to do whatever they want in managing their own healthcare, so I'm leaving it at that.

Yep I get it. hope you’re OK Brad!

1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

Old 01-29-2018, 05:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I had the strain of Flu that acted like a bad cold tp the point you cannot breath. I did not go the the ER i used Musinex and alot of water. It took 3 weeks to shake it lose. Nobody else in my house got it though.